What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Shipment arrived. Started The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Disturbed to read that office sociopaths use it as a modern day management tool. I have to say this has tainted it in my eyes. Will finish it this weekend.
you're not as widely read as you think you are if you didn't know this lol

kit66

Bench
I only just found this thread and flicked through all the pages - some good suggestions in here, should keep me busy for a while.

I've just finished re-reading Don Delillo's White Noise, a terrific read, I love most of Delillo's work and his sense of humour and recommend you seek him out, especially White Noise and Great Jones Street.
I received an amazon order just days ago and am already well into 2 Arthur C. Clarke sci fi's that I've been meaning to read for years - Rama II ( the sequel to Rendezvous With Rama ) and Childhood's End.

As I'm new I'd like to suggest a few books well worth a read. They're among the books I'd happily read over and over.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicles and Kafka On The Shore both by Haruki Murakami, you'll never read anything like these two books and will probably race out in search of more of his work.
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Anything ( that is, any of his books I mean ) by Ian McEwan
Pretty much anything by J.G.Ballard - his Sci Fi short stories in particular.
The Stranger - Albert Camus
On The Road - Jack Kerouac - Obvious I know but a cracking read.
The Lady In The Lake and The Big Sleep both by Raymond Chandler
The Joke by Milan Kundera

I'll stop, bit of a mish-mash there but all very accessible, fairly easy reads and satisfying.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Shipment arrived. Started The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Disturbed to read that office sociopaths use it as a modern day management tool. I have to say this has tainted it in my eyes. Will finish it this weekend.

Next cab off the rank as book two is Anger is an Energy by John Lydon.
That should be a very interesting read Stewie. I've seen Public Image Ltd twice when they were touring in Australia back in the 1980s.

Anger is an Energy is part of the lyrics of a PIL song called Rise.

Oh the memories....

Stewbum

Juniors
That should be a very interesting read Stewie. I've seen Public Image Ltd twice when they were touring in Australia back in the 1980s.

Anger is an Energy is part of the lyrics of a PIL song called Rise.

Oh the memories....
I saw them at Easts Leagues Club in 1988 (snuck in as a 16yo). Was quite a show. Johnny stopped it after 20 minutes and yelled "Just stop the f**king spitting or I'm going home." He turned his head to the side and a XXXX can flew through the air and copped him right on the cheekbone. He stormed off saying "That's it, you all lose, I'm off home."

About 30 minutes later the place was close to a riot. He eventually came back out and warned everyone again and started the show up. You could hear a pin drop between songs until Johnny started to rev everyone up again. Magic night. Rise was incredible.

Stewbum

Juniors
Finished Art of War. Interesting but that's about it.

Decided to start A Confederacy of Dunces. Intriguing thus far. The blurb about the author is rather tragic.

Reactions: gUt

gUt

Coach
Finished Art of War. Interesting but that's about it.

Decided to start A Confederacy of Dunces. Intriguing thus far. The blurb about the author is rather tragic.

His mum knew what a gem it was and fought for years to get it published. Bless her!

Stewbum

Juniors
About to finish One day in the life of Ivan Denisovic. Good read. My wife short changed me on my dinner serving last night and I demanded my allotted amount as Shukov would have. What a terrible, bleak existence so many souls experienced in the Russian camps.

Last edited:

Stewbum

Juniors
Onto Anger is an Energy now and still plodding along with War and Peace.

Trying to get my 11yo to read the classics but it is like pulling teeth. She's been reading Frankenstein for over 6 months now on but mostly off. I'm tying it to rewards but it's exhausting. She's quite the little genius but her reading development has stalled with the teen fantasy genre. Can't get my son (10) to read anything except new Diary of a Whimpy Kid books, whilst my youngest daughter is going book nuts at age 6.

Any suggestions re the boy?

elyod138

Bench

Trying to get my 11yo to read the classics but it is like pulling teeth. She's been reading Frankenstein for over 6 months now on but mostly off. I'm tying it to rewards but it's exhausting. She's quite the little genius but her reading development has stalled with the teen fantasy genre. Can't get my son (10) to read anything except new Diary of a Whimpy Kid books, whilst my youngest daughter is going book nuts at age 6.

Neil Gaiman writes some great children's books, they might interest all of your kids.

Here's his site for young readers - http://www.mousecircus.com/books/

Currently re-reading J. Edgar Hoover - The Man and the Secrets by Curt Gently. It is a warts and all bio on Hoover. Very interesting read on how this guy managed to accumulate and hold so much power for so long.

mackdadday

Juniors
When Nietzche Wept - Absolutely brilliant book detailing a fictional meeting between Nietzche, Breur, Freud and other brilliant minds. Loved it. A real chance to immerse yourself deep in the ideas of some brilliant minds.

Also loved A Confederacy of Dunces which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Stewbum

Juniors
Lydon's writing style has not improved since Rotten. You have to slow everything down and pretend you're listening to him speak with his peculiar emphasis to make it work. Fascinating reading though.

Iafeta

Referee

Make it an experience. When I was young it was the Chronicles of Narnia, Charlottes Web and Around the World in 80 Days that caught my mind, but really spending time with my mum at the library... for me that experience was a treasure. Maybe go to the library rather than outright buy a book might be a way to create an experience where they can mix and match to their imagination.

Currently reading Hamilton which inspired the Broadway play. And Paul Hams excellent book on the causes of World War 1.

Finished the audiobook Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout - Laura Jane Grace's autobiography

I'm a huge fan of Against Me! (Best live band I've ever seen) so im obviously biased but a good read. Hearing her talk about being trans but never being able to come out was very interesting

Latest posts