What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford. Why can't they sell cars?

Danish

Referee
Danish. You are 100% right about brand image and you've probably hit the nail on the head as to why. Poor interior design and material quality for too long

They are not able to recover even when they have quality products

I get the impression Ford think they are a rival to VW and position themselves accordingly

The public believes they are just Kias with worse warranties. If you're going for a bargain basement product buy the one that backs their work with peace of mind.

Yep the Kia analogy is quite apt. Ford is competing with The Korean brands, but tries to position themselves against the euros and Japanese. No one is going to buy a ford when they get get a Mazda or VW for the same money.

I just moved to San Francisco and was in the market for a cheap 2nd hand car, and quite a few fords were in the price range. A Ford Edge was on the cards (I think they are called an Escape in Oz).... but one sit behind the wheel and I was out. The steering wheel alone feels like you are holding a big plastic frisbee.

The new larger SUVs that they are putting out over here are actually quite nice, like the explorer. But they need a big push on a brand refresh.

A resurrection is not impossible though. Who would have guessed in the 90s that Audi would be a highly sought after brand now?

I have never understood the whole Aussssssssssssie maaaaaaaaaaaayte FORD V HOLDEN V8s car races relate to car sales thing. It seems that most of the rest of the car buying public don't either because while bogans were hand wringing about what happened at Bathurst and barring up about v8 passenger sedans and utes the average bod who couldnt give a shit about Supercars were out buying Toyotas, Hyundais or dual cap pick up trucks.

Both Ford and Holden so grossly misunderstood what Australians want in a car (partly because they were so fixated on races very few people cared about amongst other things) that an entire generation of car buyers had absolutely zero brand affiliation with them and dropped them like bad habit forever and now they look at people carrying on the Ford v Holden debate with a detached pity.

On the OP, it is useless to compare car sales here with the U.K. The UK emissions, traffic and luxury taxes means the markets are totally different. Most people over there are pretty much forced into buying really small cars, so much that a Toyota Corolla is considered "mid sized".

Lambretta

First Grade
On the OP, it is useless to compare car sales here with the U.K. The UK emissions, traffic and luxury taxes means the markets are totally different. Most people over there are pretty much forced into buying really small cars, so much that a Toyota Corolla is considered "mid sized".

On this point. I agree the markets are different. The Corolla is the same size as the Golf (best selling car in the UK with private money) and the Focus (3rd best selling car in the UK)

Both these cars massively outsell the Auris (Corolla name plate was dropped in the UK)

The Focus does really well on the back of fleet sales as it is considered a great car to drive, service and insure with bullet proof reliabilty and they hold their values. All things fleets like.

Here (in spite of the critical acclaim) Australians consider the Focus as "a piece of shit" to use a quote used in this thread, but one that is probably on the money.

Funny how perceptions are different. I just wondered why it was so.

You were bang on re the whole Bathurst dinosaur World changed point. Great response. Thanks

kdalymc

Bench
The replacement for the territory, Everest, is f**king beautiful. Basically a ranger wagon.
I have an 06 territory now and it’s the best car I’ve had.

But yeah falcons are meh.

The replacement for the territory, Everest, is f**king beautiful. Basically a ranger wagon.

So you like your jacked up falcon wagon?

You know that's all a territory is right?

Yes I do. However there’s a reason why this model got car of the year. And at the same time falcon sucked.
Would love a new Everest but jebus they $$$$$
The BF wasn't a bad car reliability wise, it also had more power for the atmo six, faster than it's contemporaries as a 6 pot turbo and matched the admittedly horrid v8 power trains of the time whilst being compared to a boat anchor

I don't get how any of that makes it a bad car? A poor interior? Who really cares if it's plastic you aren't meant to sleep in it

Life's Good

Coach
I was in the market for a new car a while back & having an affinity for Ford wanted to buy an XR8. One look at the interior was enough to scare me off. Very little difference to the base Falcon. Sure, Ford were closing down manufacturing but at least make an effort to provide some lasting impact on your top of the range car to give your customers hope that you have an eye to the future.

I looked at Everests when I bought my last car. I wouldn't describe them as "beautiful'. Seriously underwhelming for what they were charging. I could get way more car from about 4 other brands including Land Rover for that money.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
A poor interior? Who really cares if it's plastic you aren't meant to sleep in it

The interior is the part of the car you spend the most time looking at and interacting with, a nice interior just makes the experience of owning a car that much more pleasant.

The interior is the part of the car you spend the most time looking at and interacting with, a nice interior just makes the experience of owning a car that much more pleasant.

I'm a fan of exterior, power and handling

My G6E TURBO doesn't feel cheap to me and it's 7 years old

Even brand new the price point was incredible

You'd pay BMW or Mercedes double for an equivalent car without the balls to match

I just don't get it, creature comforts to me are well down my list of wants

My gripe with the car is the suspension is for a luxury car instead of a sports car, which is just nitpicking

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My car spends 90% of its time on the road ferrying me to and from work in Sydney traffic. Not a lot of opportunity to utilise anything beyond adequate performance, a comfy interior, decent air con and a good sound system are more important for me.

As does mine as well as taking the little one to daycare

However I'm in Hobart so they're version of traffic is different to mine

They call it a gridlock if there's 7 cars in front of them at a roundabout, I'm not kidding either they are precious souls with no concept of actual traffic or what I refer to as the real world

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My commute is between the inner west and Port Botany- not much opportunity for fun at all there. If I want to play silly buggers on the weekend I take my motorbike out for a fang.
Would be a completely different story in Hobart, I’d definitely want a car with good road manners down there.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm a fan of exterior, power and handling

My G6E TURBO doesn't feel cheap to me and it's 7 years old

Even brand new the price point was incredible

You'd pay BMW or Mercedes double for an equivalent car without the balls to match

I just don't get it, creature comforts to me are well down my list of wants

My gripe with the car is the suspension is for a luxury car instead of a sports car, which is just nitpicking
The G6E isnt terrible in the trim department anyway. With leather I like the interior. For the money they are hard to go past. Fantastic engine, even without any tweaks.

The G6E isnt terrible in the trim department anyway. With leather I like the interior. For the money they are hard to go past. Fantastic engine, even without any tweaks.
I've got the leather

Still not sold on the floor gloss black cover for the inferior control cluster

Latest posts