What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forfeit

kdalymc

Bench
1996 Notes:
Parramatta awarded 2 competition points for Penrith forfeiting in round 1
* Auckland awarded 2 competition points for Brisbane forfeiting in round 1
* Newcastle awarded 2 competition points for Cronulla forfeiting in round 1
* St George awarded 2 competition points for Western Reds forfeiting in round 1
* South Queensland awarded 2 competition points for Canberra forfeiting in round 1

Silent Knight

First Grade
That aren't already?

No no no I'm not talking about Souffs fudging the numbers with pet memberships and dead relatives.

I mean a real, bonafide Souffs membership that contains the following "benefits":
  • Your teeth will start to feel loose
  • You will age well ahead of your time.
  • You won't be able to verbally articulate anything, including the words Yorkshire Pudding.
  • You will boo on every hit-up for your team.
  • You'll have a strong compulsion to climb up on the Sydney Opera House in the middle of the day.
  • Your brain will tell you "time to drive to work" but your hands will have other ideas and will steer you in the direction of Centrelink.
  • You'll start arguing that your scrubbiest club players should be playing for Origin.
  • You'll turn up on the Voice to sing glory glory.
  • You won't use keys to get in your front door anymore, you'll go around the side gate with a brick in hand.
  • You will protect your loved ones from self-harm and you'll have a strong aversion to flying when it's raining.
  • You'll order a copy of the book of foods and will stand on the nearest corner brandishing it like a mad preacher.
  • You can't eat chicken anymore.

siv

First Grade
In South Australia a team forfieted the grand final under protest and have been expelled from the League

Canard

Immortal
I remember the Round 1 1996 forfeits well. ARL-aligned teams down to play the SuperLeague-aligned teams that round received 2 competition points, but I don't recall for-and-against coming into it at all. There were instances of SL teams down to play eachother (Nth Qld vs Canterbury being one, if I recall?) so in those games, no points were awarded at all.

Auckland Warriors played it the best of all the SL clubs though. Either they were aligned with the ARL at the time, got the 2 competition points, and then officially defected, or (and I may be making this up due to failing memory!), they announced a team of 3rd graders or locals or something and got the 2 points due to Brisbane forfeiting.

It was something to do with the Warriors ownership arrangement that meant the directors were open to being personally sued, if I recall correctly

Zerô

Juniors
Few weeks back the Delaware Black Foxes played a team that initiated a 'mercy rule'. When asked what it was they said

In America, if you are losing by more than 50 points by the second half, after you get scored on you don’t have to kick but get to have ball in hand and restart on the 50

Front-Rower

First Grade
You should be happy.
SL ultimately won the war, and the result is the touch footy we watch in the NRL today.
Yay for SL!!

It may have taken 20 years though you are right. Every game, live on fox sports was always one of the main goals.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It may have taken 20 years though you are right. Every game, live on fox sports was always one of the main goals.
Imagine living in such a black and white world that you think the ARL was a squeaky clean innocent party in the SL war and that SL was just this big evil thing... and not being able to see both sides had valid concerns and serious problems.