Former Panthers in the NRL

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Fangs, Mar 10, 2018.

1. umina panther

umina panther Coach

10 years too late imo

2. tripster

tripster Juniors

Must have been a damn serious ankle injury. What an unfortunate event for the guy. He probably could have gone on for 10 more years in Super League otherwise.

3. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Watching Bryce Cartwright during the Gold Coast v Sharks game was a painful experience and you sense his downward spiral is far from over. He is a paid a lot of money so no need to feel sorry for him but you get the feeling watching him on the weekend and over past couple of seasons he is going to fade away and not fulfil his early promise. Feel more sorry for Leilani Latu who was forced out of our club and appears to be doing it tough up on the Gold Coast.

4. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

5. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

He chose to run away instead of fight and work through the issues.... needs a good stint in QCup to get right

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  6. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Juniors

Totally agree. I'm a huge believer that one needs to face up to the past, (face to face), work through the issues. Running away only allows the whole situation to occur again.

7. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

Latu would probably have been in our starting 17.

I feel bad for him as well as he played well for us in general.

The silver lining however is the emergence of Leota

Aliceinwonderland and tripster like this.
  8. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

Playing side too. He was in the NSW Cup squad for a reason these reasons are becoming clear now. The funny thing is he would of gotten a run with us by now even if he did start in NSW Cup

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  9. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

He also needs to stop being forced to play 6.

He's f**king useless there. The only value he has as a 6 is when he ignores his number and runs the ball first.

Brennan is just as dumb as Griffin in trying to use him there. He might have the skills of a 6. But he doesnt have the brains of one. Carty trying to think is terrible.

OldPanther likes this.
  10. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

Yeah but it would be at 6 and he would be useless just as he has been for Titans.

He needed to go somewhere with established halves and a decent backup option. Put as much didtance between him and the 6 as possible.

Flanagan would've been the best fit for him. He helped Graham go from being a solid half unable to reach his potential to an Australian and NSW representative back rower. He has tried to keep him out of the halves.

Aliceinwonderland and OldPanther like this.
  11. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

You guys defending the club in the off season said there were death threats and this was a good option for him. Bit of a change in tune here.

umina panther likes this.
  12. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

A good option to leave. Not a good option to stay in the limelight of professional sport. What would of changed? Could of started for 2019 with GC

Travel for a year. Go off to the bush on the land for a year playing part time park footy.

13. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

In my opinion he should of had a year off to work on his personal issues but I don't know him and his circumstances properly. Also needs a coach who won't ever play him at 6...... ever.

14. tripster

tripster Juniors

I didn’t watch the game, but seeing that highlights reel makes me cringe.

OldPanther likes this.
  15. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

Someone's house is being firebombed etc. I don't see how you can deny their request to leave though from his point of view I don't know what the difference is up there or here if still playing

I think any coach would put him in for the games he is 'on' so whatever position is part of that.

16. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Juniors

I suppose to an extent it possibly is. I've thought long and hard about this, read most of the media and opinion pieces about it too.

No club should keep a player who is determined to leave. No matter what the reason. I was informed from a few sources that his ex's family were causing concern.

Should he have stayed / worked through what was happening, (I honestly have no idea). But I do know this (from personal experience) making peace with your past is a huge and important thing to do.

But in saying that Bryce looks as though he's head in not in a good place for footy at the moment. Whether he requires counselling, time away from the game (doing a real job, to see how fortunate he is in playing professional sport) I have no idea.

At the moment he looks disinterested in playing well. Often looking for the 'quick fix' in a game rather than doing the hard yards.

Is that happening in the rest of his life too I wonder.

I do think (on reflection) that the riff is better equiped to handle the issues he is going through. (I know that is a change of thinking)

Bryce looks to be the shadow of the player he once was. I find this very sad.

Westernised Panther likes this.
  17. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

Reasonable comment. I think at the end of the day only he can decide what is best for him. If leaving town to play under Garth hasn't helped I daresay he needs time off.

Playing him out of position can only make matters worse on a personal level as he feels he is letting the team down (I'm guessing but had experience with this)

18. TheFrog

TheFrog First Grade

Had a pretty decent career in the game for a somewhat limited footballer. Obviously 2010 was his peak as his kicks led to countless tries, often scored by Lachlan Coote whose chickens also seem to be coming home to roost (if you can believe the Cowboys Stampede), but teams worked us out and that was that. Not quite Andrew Johns but better than many give him credit for.

19. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

I remember Round 2 in 2011, coming off a big loss to Newcastle in Round 1 (at home) and we ended up smashing the Eels at Parra Stadium. Walsh had a blinder that game and even picked up man of the match IIRC.

20. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Bryce Cartwright's horror start to the season continues. He needs a spell in the Queensland Cup to try and find some form & desire.