What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

tripster

Juniors
Awesome projector set-up you have there Mx. Almost like having real sized players in your lounge room!

I only watched the highlights of the Knights game on NRL.com, and all except for probably one of the tries scored against the Knights (the one involving a pint point kick from Moylan) were incredibly soft. I was pretty shocked for the Knights to put in such a poor effort. Admittedly they haven’t done well the past few seasons, but I haven’t seem them put in a performance where it looked like they weren’t even trying.

mxlegend99

Referee
Awesome projector set-up you have there Mx. Almost like having real sized players in your lounge room!

I only watched the highlights of the Knights game on NRL.com, and all except for probably one of the tries scored against the Knights (the one involving a pint point kick from Moylan) were incredibly soft. I was pretty shocked for the Knights to put in such a poor effort. Admittedly they haven’t done well the past few seasons, but I haven’t seem them put in a performance where it looked like they weren’t even trying.
It's a Sanyo too. Bought back in 2009 when that was our main sponsor. With the Panthers logo setup as the boot image. I miss Sanyo... i loved the look of that sponsor on our jerseys.

I really only paid attention to the game when tries were scored though. I was watching movies on my TV and didnt even have the sound on the footy. Until the Matty Johns show came on after.

Knights are slowly turning to shit again. Hard to believe. They improved so much this year. Zttitude znd effort wise. Roster. All being undone

betcats

Referee
LOL! that was a brilliant performance from Moylan there is no reason to try and talk it down(its only the knights blah blah) Good performances only count against good teams now do they? bit hypocritical from some of us if you ask me, Last week it was "there are no easy games" LOL. He is still one of the most gifted ball players in the comp with possibly the best vision, he is going to make a great half. If he gets committed and focused he could easily be one of the games best players. The sharks have won 5 or 6 in a row, so they are obviously playing some consistent footy, including Moylan. Credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Knights ave 26 points against a game. Yet they have still won 5 games so despite having bad defence can still play ok.

Look at his record v Knights one team he plays well against. He hasn't been so well v Souths that with his lack of consistency was what I meant

I agree he needs some consistency but there is a level of hypocrisy when we say there are no easy games in relation to our "easy draw" argument but there is easy games when discussing other clubs/players. Can't have our cake and eat it too.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree he needs some consistency but there is a level of hypocrisy when we say there are no easy games in relation to our "easy draw" argument but there is easy games when discussing other clubs/players. Can't have our cake and eat it too.

Look at the guys missing. Even Ponga went off hurt during that game it was an easy game due to the 17 they had picked. They beat Tigers and Broncos during the year at full strength every team is hard.

betcats

Referee
Look at the guys missing. Even Ponga went off hurt during that game it was an easy game due to the 17 they had picked. They beat Tigers and Broncos during the year at full strength every team is hard.

If this was Hook we were talking about and I said that id have 5 people explaining how there are no easy games. You cannot have it both ways.

franklin2323

Immortal
If this was Hook we were talking about and I said that id have 5 people explaining how there are no easy games. You cannot have it both ways.

In the same situation it would be an easy game. Compared to the team we took up there was far from easy. That is the point take 4 or 5 FG out of any team and you will get a hard game

betcats

Referee
In the same situation it would be an easy game. Compared to the team we took up there was far from easy. That is the point take 4 or 5 FG out of any team and you will get a hard game

So what you are saying is the level and toughness of competition can directly effect performance? IE Beating shit teams is easier than beating top four teams? LOL And here I was thinking that there are no easy games, every game is equally difficult, or is that only when discussing penriths soft draws.

franklin2323

Immortal
So what you are saying is the level and toughness of competition can directly effect performance? IE Beating shit teams is easier than beating top four teams? LOL And here I was thinking that there are no easy games, every game is equally difficult, or is that only when discussing penriths soft draws.

Nothing like that at all. When we played the Knights we had lost 2 out of our last 3. Including being down 20-0 v the team running 2nd last

Knights beat WT and Manly. If they could GK and Sio can ground the ball they would of beaten Souths

We already had no Edwards, Mansour, Blake, Cleary. Lost Leota and Hetherington from the week before. Throw in Merrin, Kikau and Yeo playing injured..

That is why it was not an easy game when we played them. Nothing to do with ladder positions or shit like that.

Compare that to a fully fit Sharks team going for 6 in a row on a bright sunny day against the worst defensive team. Much different

OldPanther

Coach
Nothing like that at all. When we played the Knights we had lost 2 out of our last 3. Including being down 20-0 v the team running 2nd last

Knights beat WT and Manly. If they could GK and Sio can ground the ball they would of beaten Souths

We already had no Edwards, Mansour, Blake, Cleary. Lost Leota and Hetherington from the week before. Throw in Merrin, Kikau and Yeo playing injured..

That is why it was not an easy game when we played them. Nothing to do with ladder positions or shit like that.

Compare that to a fully fit Sharks team going for 6 in a row on a bright sunny day against the worst defensive team. Much different

Nothing wrong with what you're saying here. It also goes to show there are easy games and by default hard games for various reasons.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nothing wrong with what you're saying here. It also goes to show there are easy games and by default hard games for various reasons.

Injury and form goes up and down across the year. That is the good thing about NRL every month or so someone new is struggling and someone else in form

age.s

First Grade
LOL! that was a brilliant performance from Moylan there is no reason to try and talk it down(its only the knights blah blah) Good performances only count against good teams now do they? bit hypocritical from some of us if you ask me, Last week it was "there are no easy games" LOL. He is still one of the most gifted ball players in the comp with possibly the best vision, he is going to make a great half. If he gets committed and focused he could easily be one of the games best players. The sharks have won 5 or 6 in a row, so they are obviously playing some consistent footy, including Moylan. Credit where credit is due.

I don't buy the "it's only the Knights" argument (you can only play who's in front of you), but there is something to be said for Moylan needing to show he can tough it out when things aren't going well. It's the main criticism you could level at him during his time here and I don't think he's shown that he's overcome that this season.

If he doesn't discover how to do it in a preliminary or grand final vs us then good luck to him.

Pomoz

Bench
I think we can all agree there can be hard and easier games. The argument is really about what is 'hard' and 'easy'. A perfect example is the game against the Dogs. It would be classed as easy based on their ladder position. However, they have a big aggressive pack, three SOO backs and a rep 5/8th. What happens if they all fire on the day you play them? Even though the Morris boys are getting to the end of their careers, on their day they are as good as any back in the NRL and still have more speed than all of our backs except for Blake. Klemmer and Woods are Australian players. You could find that your easy game is suddenly as tough as playing the Storm.

Throw in a few injuries and a dodgy ref's call during the game and your easy game is a disaster and tougher than any other game you played. That is exactly what happened to us. We beat them 9 times out of 10, but really, that was a tough game when we lost.

The difference between being number one or 16th is not much at all. You are always a bounce of the ball and an injury away from losing to the wooden spooners.

That's what I think people mean when they say there are no easy games. Just games that should be easy, sometimes are, but often can turn out to be as tough as a top of the table clash. Good teams expect every game to be tough. I think we qualify as a good team this year.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think we can all agree there can be hard and easier games. The argument is really about what is 'hard' and 'easy'. A perfect example is the game against the Dogs. It would be classed as easy based on their ladder position. However, they have a big aggressive pack, three SOO backs and a rep 5/8th. What happens if they all fire on the day you play them? Even though the Morris boys are getting to the end of their careers, on their day they are as good as any back in the NRL and still have more speed than all of our backs except for Blake. Klemmer and Woods are Australian players. You could find that your easy game is suddenly as tough as playing the Storm.

Throw in a few injuries and a dodgy ref's call during the game and your easy game is a disaster and tougher than any other game you played. That is exactly what happened to us. We beat them 9 times out of 10, but really, that was a tough game when we lost.

The difference between being number one or 16th is not much at all. You are always a bounce of the ball and an injury away from losing to the wooden spooners.

That's what I think people mean when they say there are no easy games. Just games that should be easy, sometimes are, but often can turn out to be as tough as a top of the table clash. Good teams expect every game to be tough. I think we qualify as a good team this year.

100% spot on. Very well written. I would have thought everyone should have been able to clearly understand what was meant by the phrase, "no easy games" but glad you have gone to the trouble of addressing the issue.

Complacency & expecting a game to be 'easy' is a recipe for disaster.

tripster

Juniors
Does anything think Moylan looks a little bit more bulkier at the Sharks than he did with us? A lot of the Sharks players have that same ‘thick’ look in their torso. Perhaps something in their training program, or they have everyone on the peptides.

OldPanther

Coach
Does anything think Moylan looks a little bit more bulkier at the Sharks than he did with us? A lot of the Sharks players have that same ‘thick’ look in their torso. Perhaps something in their training program, or they have everyone on the peptides.

He definitely has a bit of bulk compared to 12 months ago.

mxlegend99

Referee
I think they do less speed work and cardio. Their players don't look all that quick.

Maybe have more focus on strength. While we seem to focus on speed and fitness

tripster

Juniors
I think they do less speed work and cardio. Their players don't look all that quick.

Maybe have more focus on strength. While we seem to focus on speed and fitness

There must be some kind of difference. Even Seggy looks more nuggety than he did with us.