What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Parramatta Eels forward Brett Horsnell in landmark legal case against club

Brutus

Referee
Is he still on the trail for cash?

What a shame for him the Crushers and Chargers are now defunct.

undertaker

Coach
Is he still on the trail for cash?

What a shame for him the Crushers and Chargers are now defunct.

Spot on Brutus.

Why take action against Parramatta when he only played 2 years there and the vast majority of his career at Crushers/Gold Coast? Not making light of mental health issues, but from reading that article, if true, it's going to be very difficult for Horsnell to win the case he is trying to pursue. Seems like his rugby league dream was cut short due to injuries and the funds are now running dry.

Canard

Immortal
Can anyone explain what his claim is? That article was very light on detail and more of a biography of Horsnell.

Paullyboy

Coach
Suicide is a horrible thing and anything that helps prevent it is a good thing.

My problem with 'mental health issues' is that it's a very easy tag to associate with pretty much anything, and for some reason we as a society frown upon challenging anyone who uses the very loose term.

This bloke very well may have a legitimate case, but for every legitimate case, I can't help but feel there'd be plenty of others just using it as an excuse for their own personal flaws. Anyone who isn't perfect (whatever that is defined as) could theoretically say they have mental health issues - which is a problem in itself, but when people start blaming others for their 'mental health issues' we start having issues.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Why take action against Parramatta when he only played 2 years there and the vast majority of his career at Crushers/Gold Coast? Not making light of mental health issues, but from reading that article, if true, it's going to be very difficult for Horsnell to win the case he is trying to pursue.
it also mentions he played park footy after his first grade career was over

doesn't say how long for though

i think he has no hope trying to blame it on one club which he spent f**k all time at

Vee

First Grade
He was the next big thing at the time, centre or 5/8 iirc. Stacked on the weight, moved into the forwards and became a journeyman.

undertaker

Coach
it also mentions he played park footy after his first grade career was over

doesn't say how long for though

i think he has no hope trying to blame it on one club which he spent f**k all time at

Reminds me of the song Steve "The Sandman" Abbott (former Good News Week cast member) did during his show on SBS he had during 2005 Ashes series, entitled "It's un-Australian not to blame someone"

Can anyone explain what his claim is? That article was very light on detail and more of a biography of Horsnell.

Yeah, the article is very vague on the exact details, but now that I've re-read it again, I do find this paragraph in the article quite revealing:

The Giants and Crushers have long since disappeared from the rugby league landscape, leaving the Eels as the only body left for him to sue after suffering a series of health problems in post-football life.

And also the emphasis about how he was in the process of negotiating a 6-figure deal with the Chargers before they folded, hence because the deal was not finalised, he didn't get the money the others who were contracted at the club did.

From another article I found:

https://m.nrl.com/men-of-league-saved-my-life/tabid/10874/newsid/99427/default.aspx

The first Queenslander to ever captain the Australian Schoolboys team in 1988, life after football has not been kind to Horsnell who has been beset by medical problems on top of breakdowns in his personal life.

Look, I'm not doubting that something could have happened during his time at the Giants or Crushers that led him to make certain choices in life, but the implication is something most likely did NOT happen at the Eels. However, because the Giants/Crushers no longer exist as a legal entity, he is trying to make the Eels bare the brunt of whatever unfortunate, unresolved problems may have happened from his time at the Giants/Crushers, which re-inforces my initial statement of why I believe it's going to be difficult for him to win this case. The only possible case he could have against the Eels would be due to workplace bullying over those 2 years, and even then, it would have to be an extreme example of that for a case to be pursued on those grounds.

In addition, hypothetically, if Horsnell did win, it would be a legal nightmare as I can see myriads of people from all professions (not just sport) who will file similar lawsuits due to dissatisfaction with their current lifestyle, but they will try to use the mental illness card and draw a connection between that and some random incident in the past that somehow triggered it. Another example of the legal system becoming more Americanised.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
oh, NOW I stumble upon the Telegraph article claiming the lawsuit due to concussion symptoms:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ce6224d00338fa39fed03da105bcf51d

Find it interesting the Sydney Morning Herald article was posted at 8:20am, and the Telegraph's at 8:36am.

Anyways, irrespective of this 'new' information, I still repeat the gist of my previous post: making a club/entity that you only spent 2 years at accountable when the majority of your career was elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure how the club could be seen as responsible when they didn't know back then what long term risks of concussion where? Surely they would have to have been deemed as negligent, but given the lack of information and evidence they would have a strong case that they operated within what was known at the time and what was reasonable.

He played 34 of 154 games at Para. 22%.

Just under 80% of his time was spent at Gold Coast or South Qld.

Take it up with them.

Oh...wait...

wibble

Bench
Not sure how the club could be seen as responsible when they didn't know back then what long term risks of concussion where? Surely they would have to have been deemed as negligent, but given the lack of information and evidence they would have a strong case that they operated within what was known at the time and what was reasonable.

I think legally the clubs will be OK if they have acted in line with knowledge at the time, but ethically it might be nice if the NRL was able to help out players from past eras suffering from concussion induced problems.

They will be reluctant to do anything that "admits guilt" and risks liability though, which is a problem with our litigation system.

An article mentioning "mental health" as opposed to concussion injuries is not very helpful. 1/3 people suffer mental health issues at some point, so it would be amazing if ex footballers didn't. I doubt that concussion injuries have been studied extensively in Australia, but hopefully they will be as this sort of case becomes high profile, so that players and sports can get help they need to improve health outcomes.

Latest posts