What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum Activity Levels

jay mac

Juniors
Something TomRedVRiver mentioned in another thread (the Knights one) got me thinking; is there more member activity on this forum when the team is going well or when the team is going poorly? I know myself - and i'm by no means the most active participant - that i usually am most active as a result of frustration with the team's performance.

What are others' thoughts on this?

Are the moderators able to shed some light on forum activity levels (i.e. number of posts or number of views) between the good times (say 2009-2010) and the bad times (everything else after 1979 ;))?

One observation i have made, which suggests higher activity during the bad times, is the "Sack McGregor" thread is the second most "popular" thread of all time, in both number of posts and number of views. I dare say, by season's end, it will claim top spot in both categories.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Let's face it, forums are for having a whinge.

Occasionally, we may post some positive comments about something or someone but when it's all said and done, we just can't help having a bitch.

When you consider the coach is doing all he can to assist us in making negative comments about his coaching methods, is it any wonder.

I can foresee a 'Sack McGregor 2 & 3' being posted cause l can't see Doust and his cronies sacking Mary-Lou-Jo-Bob anytime soon.

Please consider this post as an offical whinge, not that there's anything wrong with that.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Glad I could have sparked some thought Jay!

I 100% have no doubt this forum is most active when we're performing poorly.
The amount of people flooding into the gameday threads when we're losing or lost a game is crazy. You can almost guarantee that after a loss there will be at least three new threads pop up within half an hour of the game finishing which more or less bag the club in different ways... Or an old thread will reveal itself again (like the 'Sack McGregor' thread you mentioned). It's just people wanting to vent their anger/frustration to an audience who will (sometimes) listen, it's a natural reaction.

People gravitate towards drama and negativity, it's a part of the human condition. When something is publicly falling apart, you can guarantee there will be an audience for it. This forum just happens to be the host for most of that.
It's the same with our facebook fan page, that page blows the f**k up when the team is performing poorly.

Granted, there is a lot of activity when we're playing well too, this place lit up like a christmas tree when we were on top of the ladder. The whinging is definitely a lot louder than the praising though.. It's a rollercoaster ride and we're all in it for the long haul!

hazzbeen

Bench
If we go back over the last 3 years on the forum I am fairly sure it would be much the same with post of frustration since Mary has been coaching . And a lot of posts will be a carbon copy , because his coaching and selections has been much the same....

Gareth67

First Grade
Good question jay mac , but for myself I fall into yet another category , of categories . The local doc told me that I have some sort of disease , it's called ambidextrous . Before you become alarmed , he told me that it's not contagious , however it means that I can do things with both hands , simply wonderful , more so when I was only a young whippersnapper .

However returning to the thread subject , when we lose a match , usually in the most idiotic manner , both of my hands begin to have this severe itching sensation , that can only be relieved by typing messages , hence my Forum activity . I hope that this goes some way in helping you to solve this baffling enigma .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Imagine what would happen if we actually did sack McGregor!
Meltdown or just a lot of "yeah's" said in various uses of English.
Do we just move on to another thread to bitch about?
Action (or even non-action) tends to create reaction....hence why this forum or in fact this site even exists.

Good question jay mac , but for myself I fall into yet another category . The local doc told me that I have some sort of disease , it's called ambidextrous . Before you become alarmed , he told me that it's not contagious , however it means that I can do things with both hands , simply wonderful , more so when I was only a young whippersnapper .

However returning to the thread subject , when we lose a match , usually in the most idiotic manner , both of my hands begin to have this severe itching sensation , that can only be relieved by typing messages , hence my Forum activity . I hope that this goes some way in helping you to solve this baffling enigma .

Gareth67, best be careful using the terms "severe itching sensation" and "both hands" in the same sentence :grimacing:

thebigredv

First Grade
Forum activity? This is my forum activity of late:

1. logs in
2. looks down the list for signing with Packer's/Dugan's money or coach sacking news
3. realises there's no signings, no changes, maybe an article about some reserve grader or one of our players keen for a big game - whoop de freakin do
4. take a pot shot at mary
5. log out

Southernsaint

Staff member
I haven’t been around much this season for a variety of reasons, I hope to change that for the rest of the year.

Posting on the forum is a cathartic release. We’re shouting in to a vacuum, but it serves its purpose.

blacksafake

First Grade
I need a place to vent my feelings as the leader of the opposition gets the pits when I yell at the tv or speak out loud complaining about P plate, Doust, the club, the players, refs or the nrl.:rage: