What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four or more passes

T-Boon

Coach
One of the beauties of the 4play rule is that the team in possession can retain possession longer but really needs to trade go forward and safety first principles. How would this play out? I am intrigued.

Timbo

Staff member
I've often been intrigued by the idea of multiball, similar to a pinball machine. I'm not sure yet what would activate multiball mode, but those sort of minor details are irrelevant when the idea is a winner.

Blern! Blern!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yet somehow 337 points were scored last week. What does 'working' look like? Do we really want games that are 64-48 scorelines?

I don't know mate - I'm not the OP, you might want to ask him.

I'm pretty sure the topic is increasing ball movement and stopping endless sets of one-off hit-ups and tries off kicks though, not necessarily that there are no points being scored.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't know mate - I'm not the OP, you might want to ask him.

I'm pretty sure the topic is increasing ball movement and stopping endless sets of one-off hit-ups and tries off kicks though, not necessarily that there are no points being scored.

Absolutely. That is the main point of what I am getting at.

That said, I do think we are seeing a pattern of decrease in the number of tries per game and type of tries per game. The points might be about the same but I bet that is down to a lot more penalty kicks and conversion percentages being so much higher since the around the corner style kick came in.
Further more I think the decline in try scoring would be way more pronounced if we had not brought in the change to the corner post rule several years back. So if you look at it from that perspective if average tries per game are the same as previous but way more are from successful wing leap tries then there has been a big decrease in other types of tries. Which is consistent with the theory that defences are strangling the attack too much and there isn't enough line breaks.

ACTPanthers

Bench
You still haven't answered how you expect refs to keep count of passes...? Because let's be honest, they're pretty f**king geniused and can barely keep a tackle count...

JamesRustle

First Grade
I get intoxicated by my passion for the potential of this great, but sick game. The game has shitcoacharistis.
You don't think coaches would turn your idea into an abortion?

Storm up by 1 with 3 mins on the clock... throw it back 10 from the play the ball to a cluster of 4 players who complete the 3 more required passes... take a hit up, repeat to complete 12 tackles and one set of six while soaking up time.

You'd argue the coaches are craps. If argue those responsible for proposing and implementing have coach shit for brains.

JamesRustle

First Grade
You still haven't answered how you expect refs to keep count of passes...? Because let's be honest, they're pretty f**king geniused and can barely keep a tackle count...
And what if the play the ball is just over half way but the tackled player gets up and rolls it back across the half way line. Or would he deliberately take a couple of steps back to play it in his half? I can see a lot of delay as the vid ref is called on. Lucky this suggested rule is just a fantasy of a numpty.

T-Boon

Coach

The referees are fine. They can count to 4.
They do a good job and are a lot better than they were in the 80s etc. The problem is because the referee's are opportunity makers now (thanks to coaches being so conservative) we go ballistic when a 50/50 goes against our team.

T-Boon

Coach
You don't think coaches would turn your idea into an abortion?

Storm up by 1 with 3 mins on the clock... throw it back 10 from the play the ball to a cluster of 4 players who complete the 3 more required passes... take a hit up, repeat to complete 12 tackles and one set of six while soaking up time.

You'd argue the coaches are craps. If argue those responsible for proposing and implementing have coach shit for brains.

I like that scenario the defence would need to make something happen using the markers to attack. Remember, a team doing that would be going backwards. That would put pressure on them mentally as they are giving up field position.

ACTPanthers

Bench
The referees are fine. They can count to 4.
They do a good job and are a lot better than they were in the 80s etc. The problem is because the referee's are opportunity makers now (thanks to coaches being so conservative) we go ballistic when a 50/50 goes against our team.
Mate, they can barely count at all. But sure, let’s put more pressure on these so called hard done by refs and give them more chances to f**k it... great plan

T-Boon

Coach
KFC pass counter - the big screen can show someone putting a chicken nugget in a KFC box every time the attacking team throws a pass.

Great stuff.
Why not do the same with the 40/20.
Get sponsorship by Four & twenty pies (is that a brand ??) or something. When one gets kicked some kid gets to pie Phil Gould in the face.

Life's Good

Coach
One of the beauties of the 4play rule is that the team in possession can retain possession longer but really needs to trade go forward and safety first principles. How would this play out? I am intrigued.
This sounds strangely like the play of the Ipswich Jets.
Which one of the Walker brothers are you?? Shane, Ben, Groucho, Harpo or little known Seppo??

ACTPanthers

Bench
Great stuff.
Why not do the same with the 40/20.
Get sponsorship by Four & twenty pies (is that a brand ??) or something. When one gets kicked some kid gets to pie Phil Gould in the face.
6oinh0.jpg