What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxsports talks expansion

Bronco18

Juniors
There will never be enough money in the NZ game to do this. Even Union can't achieve it and they are a far more popular code there.

Best hope is 3 NZ teams in a broader Paciifica NRL comp that has two or three conferences. Though given the pace of expansion so far it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

I can't see an expansion into the Pacific for a long time... There's simply no money there.

RoosTah

Juniors
There will never be enough money in the NZ game to do this. Even Union can't achieve it and they are a far more popular code there.

Best hope is 3 NZ teams in a broader Paciifica NRL comp that has two or three conferences. Though given the pace of expansion so far it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

I take it you havent heard of the NPC...

I agree though, 3 is a better number and frankly trying to forecast 50 years ahead is a little pointless. That said, your pacific idea isnt going to be feasible for decades either.

3 teams in NZ makes a fair bit of sense in my view for the reasons I've stated above. NZ offers something to the NRL that the AFL simply can't have, and longer term would increase the value of the game on both the club and representative front.

Ice_Storm

Juniors
The NRL needs to set membership criteria for sydney clubs as to their survivability. Attendance memberships. Not down at your local club having a schooner membership.

adamkungl

Immortal
Survivability should be determined entirely on whether the club can survive or not, not based on arbitrary criteria.

RoosTah

Juniors
Survivability should be determined entirely on whether the club can survive or not, not based on arbitrary criteria.

100%. Although I'm definitely in favour of the NRL providing incentives for clubs to boost memberships (which they are).

Roosters may not have the crowds people expect / want, but they do have 100+ years of history.

How anyone can think that can be pissed away easily is beyond me.

Criteria...yep...worked well last time. Gold Coast killed, Perth and Adelaide killed, Souths killed, Saints merged, Balmain and Wests merged, Norths dead, Manly merged. Yep...criteria.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going to take a massive backflip from New ltd now to see any expansion I fear. Would leave Murdoch and the other guy with serious egg on their faces if News were to bankroll expansion, especially in AFL territory. I fear they're statements around pushing AFL in RL land and AFL being the national game may be the writing on the wall for any News funded expansion plans.

Hopefully Smith has an ace up his sleeve or some other idea about expanding the game or we will be left once again with no growth of the game despite massive extra funding.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roosters may not have the crowds people expect / want, but they do have 100+ years of history.

Criteria...yep...worked well last time. Gold Coast killed, Perth and Adelaide killed, Souths killed, Saints merged, Balmain and Wests merged, Norths dead, Manly merged. Yep...criteria.
Roosters focus on Gosford and region is a good move for them and they should be aiming to take 3 games a year there with a goal of 10k members from that region. NRL need to get behind this and show some leadership in supporting clubs to grow their patches into new areas that are devoid of NRL presence.

adamkungl

Immortal

When it comes down to it money is the only criteria that matters.

A club with rich backers doesnt need the same attendances to break even. A club with high attendances doesnt need rich backers to break even.
People put shit on Easts for having shit crowds (which are largely mid-range anyway) or no juniors but the fact is it's irrelevant if the club is in no danger of financial or on-field failure.

I'm against force culling of clubs but I think the NRL should keep a steady pace of growth and expansion and if a club fails to keep up in the top grade so be it.

Ice_Storm

Juniors

True. Perhaps reworded to say that in the criteria to survive, membership has to factor. Not attendance. Easy to give free tickets to juniors or away teams to make it look appealing. Membership numbers don't always tell a true story either if clubs are massively in debt for one reason or another.
Still, clubs can't rely on big TV deals and sponsorship to pay the bills. Realistic membership increases should be an integral part of the NRL's growth analysis. Not sure on what incentive scheme the NRL has, but for clubs to survive, perhaps rather then just cutting them in 5 years time because they didn't have X amount of members, a goal % increase for poorer clubs in this regard of course is preferable. The Roosters low crowds of course noted.

Perhaps rather then just give clubs extra cash, perhaps the NRL could subsidise some membership incentive scheme, where a realistic set target price for membership is set, reduced by say 25% with the NRL picking up the rest? The games need to be affordable.

Nobody would deny an extra 5000 people through the gates every game would be a bad thing.

papabear

Juniors

norths had that.... gone.

in any event no one would kill easts, just relocate them to an area where they are more appreciated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expansion is shaping as a potential trump card for the NRL as it seeks to add value to the remaining product left to sell off to broadcasters.
The Central Coast Bears have engaged former Rugby League Central heavy-hitter Shane Mattiske, who worked on the previous league television deal, as a consultant while the governing body weighs up whether to add to the existing 16-team competition.
The Bears are among a number of prospective franchises seeking an NRL licence alongside others including the Brisbane Bombers, a Papua New Guinea side, a Western Corridor proposition in Queensland, a West Australian outfit and a second New Zealand team. All are in limbo awaiting the handing down of a "whole of game" blueprint that former South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson is preparing for head office.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cast-money-20150822-gj5c4m.html#ixzz3jZpxk6QL
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-afls-25-billion-tv-deal-20150819-gj2puq.html

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I reckon expansion is imminent, you only have to look at the increased activity from the bears and bombers recently after a big lull. I think the nrl may fast track it and tie up the rest of the broadcasting rights before the year is out.

Perth and whatever side they come up with in brisbane for me as long as its not the bombers

Nerd

Bench
I just love the silence coming from the NRL on negotiations. It's sending the News Corp hacks bonkers.

Latest posts