What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxsports talks expansion

reanimate

Bench
CC is a terrible idea when WA and Brisbane 2 are beckoning, unless it's a Sydney team relocating there.

adamkungl

Immortal
If we're going 1 expansion team and 1 heartland team there's no evidence another SE QLD team could be more successful than a Central Coast team.

The last expansion into SE QLD is barely above the level of complete failure.

reanimate

Bench
If we're going 1 expansion team and 1 heartland team there's no evidence another SE QLD team could be more successful than a Central Coast team.

The last expansion into SE QLD is barely above the level of complete failure.

Brisbane is a city of 2 million with only 1 team, while the CC has a population of ~320,000 that is quite dispersed and already extremely close to Sydney in places (I.e. a lot of people already support a team). Gold Coast has always been poor for every sport, it's not fair to deny Brisbane a second team because of their issues.

GongPanther

Referee
Two new expansion teams which should be Perth and Adelaide to offset AFL's intrusion into our territory.

Of course FOX would not approve of such a move being the influence that Murderoch has with his preference to AFL.

Ideally,I would love to see another break-away league wereas Fox and NEWS Ltd is not involved in any shape or form.

Ice_Storm

Juniors
Ideally,I would love to see another break-away league wereas Fox and NEWS Ltd is not involved in any shape or form.

:shock:

Maybe involve themselves with Dodo?

5 team comp. Play each other once. Have a top 4 final system that runs for 16 weeks with bye weeks for school holidays. Best of 2 Grand Final to decide. If both win a GF each, they play the other 3 teams 4 times each to get the best for and against points to decide the winner.

Now THATS a 'super league'.

adamkungl

Immortal
Adelaide is so far down the track. There's just no noise coming out of there.

Do we go the build it and they will come route, AFL style, or do it another way.

I think get into Perth, get it on the TV, and exposure in Adelaide will grow.
Get blokes down there building up juniors and grassroots comps, and work their way up the rep comps for a few years.
Aim for a NSW Cup / Reserve grade side in 10 years then re-think the situation.

Currently there are AT LEAST 4 actual bids ahead of them: Perth QLD4 NZ2 CCBears

carcharias

Immortal
may as well stick any new teams where all the players come from...NZ, tonga and cook islands

You'd get the same crowds there as you would in woop woop SA or WA.

RoosTah

Juniors
Adelaide is so far down the track. There's just no noise coming out of there.

Do we go the build it and they will come route, AFL style, or do it another way.

I think get into Perth, get it on the TV, and exposure in Adelaide will grow.
Get blokes down there building up juniors and grassroots comps, and work their way up the rep comps for a few years.
Aim for a NSW Cup / Reserve grade side in 10 years then re-think the situation.

Currently there are AT LEAST 4 actual bids ahead of them: Perth QLD4 NZ2 CCBears

I wonder about the CC... I just don't think they're a viable market. 300k people spread out over an area the size of Sydney and who mostly seem to have loyalties to other clubs anyway. To add to that it's a high unemployment region too.

I'd personally rather have an Adelaide presence than the CC. But I think Adelaide needs to be considered at the earliest after the next TV deal - so a solid 7-8 years from now.

Like Christchurch and Perth, Adelaide first need to get a feeder club into the Qld or NSW feeder comps though.

flippikat

Bench
I wonder about the CC... I just don't think they're a viable market. 300k people spread out over an area the size of Sydney and who mostly seem to have loyalties to other clubs anyway. To add to that it's a high unemployment region too.

I'd personally rather have an Adelaide presence than the CC. But I think Adelaide needs to be considered at the earliest after the next TV deal - so a solid 7-8 years from now.

Like Christchurch and Perth, Adelaide first need to get a feeder club into the Qld or NSW feeder comps though.

Adelaide is a major city - regardless of there not being a bid there right now, groundwork needs to be started for an eventual NRL team. REGULAR NRL season games there (at least 2 per season), junior development, and decent FTA tv coverage are a must.

If this is started now, there can be an NRL team there within 10 years.

Diesel

Referee
Adelaide is not a major priority IMO, I would like for SA to have a team one day but realistically Perth, Brisbane2, NZ2 should be given priority before SA.

The Sharks pretty much gave up on SA after year one of a 3 year deal, not sure what the issue was there and the Bulldogs have had mixed success. SA deserves at least 2 games a year over the next 5 years to test the water

adamkungl

Immortal
Adelaide is a major city - regardless of there not being a bid there right now, groundwork needs to be started for an eventual NRL team. REGULAR NRL season games there (at least 2 per season), junior development, and decent FTA tv coverage are a must.

If this is started now, there can be an NRL team there within 10 years.

Agree on that.

Part of the NRLs strategy going forward should be identifying growth target areas and playing more games there.

Not 1-2 a year, more like 4-6.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane2, Perth, Adelaide and Wellington should all be announced as new expansion areas with a staged introduction over the next 10 years. But that would take an nrl with a. Clue about what it wanted to be in a decades time. No hope there then.

magpie_man

Juniors
Personally, I can't see an expansion team being successful in Adelaide in the foreseeable future.
Where Melbourne has its sheer size and diversity and Perth has it's significant East Coast diaspora, Adelaide is a relatively small and static AFL parish where the heathen Rugby codes are met with xenophobic revulsion.
It would take decades of NRL media exposure, participation groundwork and a strategy of an exponential quota of annual fixtures being hosted in the City of Churches before it would be close to being ready for it's own NRL club.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
IMO Adelaide will be easier to expand into than Melbourne, by far. The Rams had 20K ST holders with what, 1 or two years buildup? That's more than the Suns or Giants have and it's more than the QLD-based Lions fans despite the hundreds of millions the AFL has spent trying to buy a fanbase.

If the NRL brought back the Rams they'd have Hindmarsh stadium (great little stadium) to themselves almost all of winter. The only other teams they'd be competing with for airtime and newspaper coverage are the two AFL teams.

It'd also be the only contact sport available to follow in SA since they don't even have a S15 team like the other capitals.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I reckon that Adelaide wouldn't be as hard a nut to crack as many seem to think it would be either.

People say that there's next to no coverage of the NRL down there (which is true at the moment) and hence there must be no interest in the NRL, but apart from when there is a team pretending to be "Canberras' AFL team" there is next to no coverage of the AFL in Canberra, and I'd wager that the same could be said of Sydney, Brisbane and the GC if their respective AFL teams didn't exist.

In my opinion it's a case of chicken or the egg, is there no coverage of the NRL in Adelaide because their is no interest in the NRL, or in their no interest in the NRL because their is no coverage?!

As has been stated by others before, in their short existence the Rams were relatively successful at attracting interest and crowds, admittedly a fair portion of that interest may have been due to the novelty factor, but it was interest none the less and even interest born out of novelty can be built on and I'd imagine that considering the money that the NRL now has at it's disposal building and maintaining that interest would be relatively easy compared to how things were in the 90's (despite the coverage that the Super league war created).

Now I'm not suggesting that Adelaide is ready to enter a team into the competition or even that it should be one of the next teams to enter into the competition (though if I was in charge I'd be aiming for Adelaide to be represented by one of the next 4 expansion/relocation teams), but with the right preparation and investment I reckon that it could be made ready to support a team in the NRL within the next decade, by investing in the NRLSA, playing regular NRL fixtures in Adelaide (maybe 2 or 3) and by assuring that all free to air NRL games are played live into SA.