What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxtel tackle count

Parra

Referee
I think it is wrong. It is annoying.

After tackle 1 the graphic reads 1st. After tackle two the graphic reads 2nd and so on. So while the play is happening for the third tackle ( ie On the third) the graphic reads 2nd.

It should just say 1,2,3 - as in how many tackles have been completed.

But it doesn't.

When they use 1st , 2nd 3rd it implies that a team is "on the third tackle" or "on the 3rd play". In fact, while fox shows 3rd the team is actually on the 4th.

The commentators continue to speak as anyone would - it is the way they do the count in the graphic that is out of sync.

Have I found a confusing enough way to explain this?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think it is wrong. It is annoying.

After tackle 1 the graphic reads 1st. After tackle two the graphic reads 2nd and so on. So while the play is happening for the third tackle ( ie On the third) the graphic reads 2nd.

It should just say 1,2,3 - as in how many tackles have been completed.

But it doesn't.

When they use 1st , 2nd 3rd it implies that a team is "on the third tackle" or "on the 3rd play". In fact, while fox shows 3rd the team is actually on the 4th.

The commentators continue to speak as anyone would - it is the way they do the count in the graphic that is out of sync.

Have I found a confusing enough way to explain this?
Yeah I think you'll find that it's not fox sports, it's you..

Channel 9 (and pretty much every other broadcaster) shows the number of completed tackles..

You may occasionally notice that fella with the whistle also indicating 5th tackle whilst the team is on their 6th play (hence he only has 5 fingers in the air instead of 6)..

Hopefully you still haven't hit 'send' on your angry email to fox sports about this issue..

Parra

Referee
Yeah I think you'll find that it's not fox sports, it's you..

Channel 9 (and pretty much every other broadcaster) shows the number of completed tackles..

You may occasionally notice that fella with the whistle also indicating 5th tackle whilst the team is on their 6th play (hence he only has 5 fingers in the air instead of 6)..

Hopefully you still haven't hit 'send' on your angry email to fox sports about this issue..

5 is different to 5th.

You can't say "There have been 5th tackles" - this is what foxtel are doing

You can say "They are on the 5th" - this is the commentators and fans

You can say "There have been 5 tackles" - this is what the ref is indicating with his fingers in your example.

Fox are using ordinal numbers where they should be using cardinal numbers.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
5 is different to 5th.

You can say "There have been 5 tackles" - this is what the ref is indicating with his fingers in your example.

Not sure if trolling or dense so I'll humour you this time..

Fox are referring to the 5th tackle being made.. just as coaches, the media, players etc refer to their "5th tackle options".. they don't call them "6th tackle plays".. It's not the NFL..

Although in fairness to you after today it seems like not knowing the tackle count could be a parra-wide issue, and if that's the case I apologise..

unforgiven

Bench
5 is different to 5th.

You have obviously never played football, every referee counts it the same way as fox is. Does the term 5th and last mean anything to you.

When refereeing junior footy I have always called out the tackle number as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th and last.

They are refering to the previous tackle made as in "that is the 1st tackle" "That is the 2nd tackle" etc So they are saying "the 1st tackle has been made" They are speaking in past tense not present tense when using oridinal numbers

Misanthrope

Staff member
Unrelated, but I saw a few sets in the Newie/Raiders game in which it said 5th for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th tackle.

Confused the hell out of me.

Parra

Referee
Unrelated, but I saw a few sets in the Newie/Raiders game in which it said 5th for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th tackle.

Confused the hell out of me.

Commentators made a mess of this in the Souths game yesterday because of this. Graphic showed 5th, player took the tackle and there was a handover. They were on the 6th.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Commentators made a mess of this in the Souths game yesterday because of this. Graphic showed 5th, player took the tackle and there was a handover. They were on the 6th.

In this case, they just had me thinking the team had decided to run it on the last. Freaked me out in such a tight game.

Parra

Referee
I'm done with this issue. No more questions. I'm taking the fifth.

Or using foxtel standards - the fourth.

May the fourth be with you.

unforgiven

Bench
Exactly. Fox have the tense wrong.

No they don't, it has developed from the way referees have counted the tackles. Instead of them saying "That is the 4th tackle" etc it has been shortened to "4th", take note of when the ref calls the tackle number, its at the completion of the tackle. They do not say and have never said "this is the 5th play" They are refering to a completed tackle so it is in the past.

Parra

Referee
No they don't, it has developed from the way referees have counted the tackles. Instead of them saying "That is the 4th tackle" etc it has been shortened to "4th", take note of when the ref calls the tackle number, its at the completion of the tackle. They do not say and have never said "this is the 5th play" They are refering to a completed tackle so it is in the past.

The ref is spot on with that call.

I have an issue with foxtel, not the refs or the NRL.

The three are not homologous. Yet. Despite what the El D's of this world would have you believe.

unforgiven

Bench
The ref is spot on with that call.

I have an issue with foxtel, not the refs or the NRL.

The three are not homologous. Yet. Despite what the El D's of this world would have you believe.

But then you would have the ref calling one thing and the screen showing another. So audibly you would hear the ref call 1st but visually and audibly from the commentators a call of 2nd. Everyone is refering to the end of the 1st tackle, refs, fox, fans, commentators. It has always been the way it is counted.

Parra

Referee
But then you would have the ref calling one thing and the screen showing another. So audibly you would hear the ref call 1st but visually and audibly from the commentators a call of 2nd

All they have to do is use cardinal numbers on the telecast - so it is a tackle count.