What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France and Ireland interested in hosting 2021 world cup games

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
France hosting all of their pool games would be good and I loved the opener in Cardiff in 2013. Ireland hosted one game in 2013 but there wasn't a lot of interest, I don't know if this would have changed much.

Pool games at Millenium Stadium, Toulouse, Perpignan and Avignon would be good. What does everyone think about semis and finals? The Wembley double header followed by a heartland final in an iconic stadium worked well last time. Maybe as a change-up we could go double header opener at Old Trafford, Semi-final double header in Cardiff and the final at Wembley.

Pommy

Coach
I don’t see any problem with France playing every pool game at home.
I’m not sure Ireland have enough interest for it to be a sensible idea for them. They should play at least a game in Ireland though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Only 14 venues will be chosen and there are over 40 submissions apparently!
They have also stated that 80% of games (so 24 out of 30-31 games) will be in 'the northern heartlands'.

If this is disappointingly true there's limited opportunities for other places. And if you give those games to England's south and the home nations there's no room for France.
2 London
1 Coventry
1 Bristol
1 Wales
1 Ireland
with the rest at 9 current Super League and Championship venues?

Pommy

Coach
Only 14 venues will be chosen and there are over 40 submissions apparently!
They have also stated that 80% of games (so 24 out of 30-31 games) will be in 'the northern heartlands'.

If this is disappointingly true there's limited opportunities for other places. And if you give those games to England's south and the home nations there's no room for France.
2 London
1 Coventry
1 Bristol
1 Wales
1 Ireland
with the rest at 9 current Super League and Championship venues?

I guess it depends how lose they are going to be with heartlands, Salford is pretty much Manchester so that brings in two great potential stadiums. I’m almost certain Newcastle will get a game after the success of magic. Liverpool could be considered close enough to the heartlands.

Springs09

Juniors
So is the 2021 bid plan out the window then? 15 stadiums were already shortlisted, which would go down to 12, now 14 I assume.

Wasn't part of the bid agreement that the tournament would be held entirely in England as to receive government funding?

Rory

Juniors
Would love to see a couple games in Ulster. Preferably Kingspan stadium as it hods 18,000. Ether that or Thomond park in Limerick again, only got 5,000 to the game against Aus in 2013 though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Rory

Juniors
I went to Thommond Park in '13.
Wouldn't have known WC was on.
Poor mgmt

This is true. In Ireland theres 13 clubs all over the country, Ulster 5 clubs, Leinster 3 clubs, Munster 5 clubs. If Limerick didn't work, i suggest we head to the north.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was about to say, if we take anything to France, it would be worth having a look at taking a game further south.

I know South France is RLs area, so im wondering if anything spread further into north spain. Particularly if Spain can sneek in and qualify...

Barcelona sees itself as Catalan territory so would get behind a French team with Catalans players in it hopefully.

Dragons played there in 2009and got 18,500turn up!

Perpignan, Toulouse and Barcelona would be good French game cities. I’d even consider a game in Paris if Barcelona was a no go, especially 9f it turned out england v France in a pool game. That would be good in Paris.

Pommy

Coach
Barcelona sees itself as Catalan territory so would get behind a French team with Catalans players in it hopefully.

Dragons played there in 2009and got 18,500turn up!

Perpignan, Toulouse and Barcelona would be good French game cities. I’d even consider a game in Paris if Barcelona was a no go, especially 9f it turned out england v France in a pool game. That would be good in Paris.

If they were going to be a host then they would put them in a different group I would imagine.
Oz, NZ and PNG were all seperate, it doesn’t make sense to have England playing outside of England in a home World Cup.

Stallion

First Grade
If they were going to be a host then they would put them in a different group I would imagine.
Oz, NZ and PNG were all seperate, it doesn’t make sense to have England playing outside of England in a home World Cup.

Maybe they are looking at reinvigorating a past rivalry with some certainty as to having England play France in a world cup game? That would be attractive and would strengthen the code's relationship through increased recognition via the match up rivalry between these nations.

Latest posts