What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France may join expanded league Tri-Nations

mtngry

Juniors
I am a big fan of French Rugby so I would love to see the 4 nations. I cant wait for tehm to play in Oz in 2008. I think we should go 5 nations and
bring PNG in , call it the foundation cup.

Sigh, I can dream.

roopy

Referee
As I have said in another thread, i'd love to know if the Dureau brothers have more than just a french last name - because the two that played Flegg as halfback for Saints and 5/8 for knights are two of the most creative and gifted halves in the game today, and france could do with their flair.

langpark

First Grade
sanchez moreno said:
when was the last time anybody played france?
nz last year?
Tonga played them two weekends ago, Samoa the weekend before that, England the weekend before that.

carlnz

Bench
sanchez moreno said:
when was the last time anybody played france?
nz last year?

France play heaps of Internationals. In 2006 they have played: England, Tonga, Samoa. In 2005 they played: England, Australia, New Zealand, Wales, Russia and Georgia. In 2004 they played Lebanon, Serbia, Morroco, New Zealand, Australia, England, Russia,

langpark

First Grade
sanchez moreno said:
lets be real those games dont count for jack
England beat them by about 16, Tonga beat them by about 40, while France beat Samoa by about 20! Wat more do ya want!?

screeny

Bench
Those games counted for a helluva lot! And I'm not talking about France's bid to take the title.

France were exposed to an int'l programme after a full time season for the first ever time; they were exposed to two teams who will probably both be in the WC, giving the players and staff a helpful insight into the standards they face; they showed the RL world that France's coaching at int'l level, their tactics and prep, are woefully deficient.

roopy

Referee
screeny said:
Those games counted for a helluva lot! And I'm not talking about France's bid to take the title.

France were exposed to an int'l programme after a full time season for the first ever time; they were exposed to two teams who will probably both be in the WC, giving the players and staff a helpful insight into the standards they face; they showed the RL world that France's coaching at int'l level, their tactics and prep, are woefully deficient.
Is the glass half empty or half full?
I think it showed that Tonga and Samoa can both be genuine league powers in the near future.
I really think any of 7 sides can be number four in the world in 2008 - and i would have been lying if i ever said that before this year.

screeny

Bench
roopy said:
Is the glass half empty or half full?
I think it showed that Tonga and Samoa can both be genuine league powers in the near future.
I really think any of 7 sides can be number four in the world in 2008 - and i would have been lying if i ever said that before this year.

You've answered your own question. It's more than half full (concerning these three nations at least).

I watched Tonga v France and will watch the England match tonight, but yes, I agree, there's no massive difference between the other seven.

JK

The correct argument has been mentioned numerous times but people keep ignoring it.

The Pacific, Papua New Guinea and similar regions/countries cannot offer financial gain nor even stability. With the history of corruption in these areas I would never invest money there.

France and other first world nations are able to introduce revenue streams into the game. Through TV rights and, eventually, crowd revenues these areas outstrip anything PNG and the pacific have to offer.

Once the RLIF has invested in France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Russia, and half a dozen European countries currently trying out the game THEN it can afford to be a charity to others. Until then we can continue to draw the best from the region with the lure of NRL contracts and throw in the odd warm up test against the pacific between World Cup campaigns as well.

Not honourable but pragmatic and practical.

Jeffles

Bench
Good arguments JK but yI don't know about implying Russia is one of the non corrupt countries. :)

What is in the Pacific's favour is their people's appreciation for the Rugby codes, their diaspora in Australia and NZ and their ability to embrace the game on field at an elite level. You may not have the money but you have the ability to make money from them elsewhere.

E.g. A PI RL team could be like the British Lions RU team, only playing away games and conducting tours because they would be profitable. Then you could and leave the "Pacific Home Nations" to play home games among themselves and against other mid tier nations in order to build a profile and establish the game on those individual islands.

From a financial point of view, you are correct when you say that the more developed nations have a the best chance - and a very real chance at that - of making money from home ventures. You are right to point out countries that have some RL foothold. Massive ventures into places like the USA would be spending money RL cannot afford to.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I understand how people are saying, why France? And not some other 2nd rate team but i think the big factor is they are in the Superleague. Superleague will attract french fans, juniors and first grade players to the game.

Its like someone said, Les Catalans might not be half French but other French players will aspire to join Superleague after watching Catalans in Superleague. Alot of Warriors rejects went to other NRL clubs, this will happen with French players in superleague.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I can see the Les Catalans improve in the next few years, maybe a finals spot in the future.

This will no doubt boost the game in France.

carlnz

Bench
borntoride said:
I think your lack of a real response shows that you know i'm right. France is not NZ they are totally different places and have totally different numbers represented in the Big Arena. The only similarity is they both have no domestic league. Maybe in a decade France will be like New Zealand but it's hard to say. Sorry I didn't realise that the warriors where the opitamy of the whole of RL and that not knowing, or caring how many aussies they have means i know all about RL. That's sarcasm BTW i'm not sorry at all, so f**k you.... :p

France has no domestic league? And NZ has no domestic league? Yet again you know f**k all about it.....

JK

Jeffles said:
Good arguments JK but yI don't know about implying Russia is one of the non corrupt countries. :)

They are corrupt, but they sure have some money!

If you are going to screw around in a nation it should be the one with more than chump change :p

Latest posts