What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France may join expanded league Tri-Nations

Nightward

Juniors
Unlikely to pay an immediate dividend, but a god move overall. The French get insanely patriotic, and who doesn't like putting the smackdown on the French? It's a win-win situation.

It'll also make representative honours more meaningful- there are more teams to test your mettle against.

How about naming it the 'Allies Cup'.

And what, have Italy, Germany, and the rest battle it out for the Axis Cup? The Cup of Evil?

One good one (though I know neither were a Colony of the French) would be to start a combined-teams one-off game or series. Call it the Colonial Challenge or something. England and France vs Australia and New Zealand. Or just Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere. Union style.

Let me just put my flame-geniusant underwear on. I know we're not supposed to use the u-word around here, or mention it in any kind of positive light.

No... they're not a fully developed nation and probably would add no real value to the tournament (eg. to international sponsors, to fans in England, France and Australia) even though RL is their national sport.

I'd watch them. Even if they were playing someone else. They might not be professional in the sense of Australian, English, and NZ teams, but I seriously doubt they'd be boring. I'd expect them to be the Andrew Symonds of League; either a century or a duck.

Unfortunately, it is money and not player/fan passion that talks. Fiscal realities have already been covered.

carlnz

Bench
Well Australian U18's are currently playing in France now and the scores are:
Aus 18's 52
France Under 19s 10​

Aus 18's 36
France 18's 8​
Thats not bad results for a country that only has one professional team.

winnyason

Juniors
there would have to be huge improvement for france to be in 2009 series,
that is with both les cats & the national team in the world cup, i would go toward a pacific team for 2009.

Ari Gold

Bench
carlnz said:
Well Australian U18's are currently playing in France now and the scores are:
Aus 18's 52
France Under 19s 10

Aus 18's 36
France 18's 8
Thats not bad results for a country that only has one professional team.

According to the french forums, 2 of the best French players were missing for the first game.