What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France to host NZ in 2018 + Six Nations?

Burns

First Grade
http://treizemondial.fr/marc-palanques-rendre-rugby-a-xiii-qu-il-donne/

From an interview with FFRXIII Chairman Marc Palanques by the Treize Mondial Website:

Google Translate quote used:

"In October / November 2018, the French team will receive New Zealand and will travel to England. We are also working on the creation of a European 6 Nations tournament, nothing has been done yet, but we are working hard and I am hopeful about it."

~~~

There are also observations on the French domestic league, so it's worth a read. Anyway, great to hear that we could see France play NZ somewhere in France as a warm up before the 2018 Baskerville series.

It's alot better than NZ v Leeds Rhinos eh? :)

jim_57

Staff member
Hopefully, NZ were supposed to play there last time from memory and it fell through for the Leeds game.

France playing NZ & England (full team) would be good before the main Series & Tournaments start. Would like to see England take on Ireland as well in a warm up.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I like it! The teir two Euro Nations should get yearly matches against England and bi-annual access to New Zealand and Australia when they tour the NH. It would be nice if the RLIF could assist with finances to get Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Samoa touring Europe - I think games in France would be well attended and be financially viable.

I am warming to the idea of England's second side (but playing as a test nation) playing in the Euro six-nations. I think it would be a nice stepping stone for France, Wales and Ireland in particular to test themselves against a high quality side. I think we need to set it up and play it every year no matter what - it will grow and as the other nations become stronger, England will be forced to increase the strength of their side over time until the full team is playing.

Springs09

Juniors
Just saw this on Everything Rugby League, don't know where he gets his sources from though

Rugby League's Six Nations - Can it work?

Further details have emerged in the last week or so about what rugby league’s own version of the Six Nations championship will look like next year.

Apparently, the tournament will feature two groups of three, who will play each other in a round robin, with the two group winners playing off in a final.

England will host Italy and travel to face Ireland in one group, while Scotland are set to host France and travel to Wales in the other. France will play Wales at home.

Ireland coach Mark Aston spoke recently in favour of the idea, as he stressed the need for a proper international calendar.

"We need an international calendar," Aston said.

"Let's follow rugby union and have a Six Nations every year and Great Britain should come back. The Great Britain team should be picked from the home nations."

Ireland halfback Liam Finn, though, highlighted a key issue, especially given the Celtic countries’ general lack of financial resources.

"We need some time to plan and to get sponsors behind us," said Finn.

There is also the question of what kind of England team will be playing, as the tournament is reportedly scheduled to take place at the same time as England are playing New Zealand in a three-match series.

Richard Egan, the chairman of Rugby League Ireland, has expressed concern that it would not be a full strength England facing Ireland in Dublin.

“Super League clubs won’t release the big Irish players like Kyle Amor to play against England B. If we’re playing England, we want it to be the real deal.”

RLIF and RFL chief executive Nigel Wood:

“The RFL has volunteered to put an English side into a European Championship to add some quality and depth," he said.

"We were asked, even though there is a Test series going on against New Zealand, to submit a side.

“We’ve got sufficient players to allow the next 20 best to be playing international rugby league.”

One semantic way round the issue of it being the best ‘England’ side available might be to simply call the team playing New Zealand ‘Great Britain’, with the Lions set to return in 2019 anyway.

The presence of an England team is needed to give the competition some additional credibility.

The European Championship attracts precious little attention, with crowds rarely over 1000 or so for its fixtures over the last few years.

The precise dates and venues for the fixtures for the new tournament still remain a mystery, however.

Of course, finding any official confirmation on the RLIF website draws a blank.

There are currently no fixtures listed for 2018 at all on the RLIF website, which is a sign of just how fragile our international game really is, despite a reasonable World Cup.

Confirmation is needed soon, not least so that national team coaches can plan squads for the event.

Scotland and Italy’s first choice squads include a good number of NRL and Queensland or NSW Cup players – would they be able to travel across for the tournament? If they are, then who pays their air fares?

It is also worth asking who will pay the players for the event, and how much will they receive?

The issue of financial recompense is often shoved to one side when it comes to internationals, but, in a professional sport, it is an issue which needs clarity.

This is not least because more clarity would give players a better idea of the pros and cons of playing internationally.

It can be hard to feel positive about playing for your nation of heritage if you have to play for free and pay your own air fare.

But the idea certainly has legs, and shows a progressive attitude to internationals might now be taking hold.

Let’s just not call it anything like the Six Nations, as that will only draw comparisons with the rugby union tournament which dominates the spring TV schedules in the UK.

Let’s hope it receives the full backing from Super League clubs and the game generally, with the best players being released to take part.

Our international game can gain credibility by the best players competing against each other.

Springs09

Juniors
If the Euro 6 Nations were 2 groups of 3, then there is no reason why England couldn't play in it before the test series against NZ. It's only 3 more tests, which means they will play 6 tests all up, the same as in the World Cup.

Apart from the fact they have locked in the NZ test series to start 3 weeks after the Super League Grand Final. If they pushed it back a bit NZ could have played Australia and Tonga before leaving and then played 2 European countries in tour games.

jim_57

Staff member

“The RFL has volunteered to put an English side into a European Championship to add some quality and depth," he said.

"We were asked, even though there is a Test series going on against New Zealand, to submit a side.

“We’ve got sufficient players to allow the next 20 best to be playing international rugby league.”

One semantic way round the issue of it being the best ‘England’ side available might be to simply call the team playing New Zealand ‘Great Britain’, with the Lions set to return in 2019 anyway.

The presence of an England team is needed to give the competition some additional credibility.

The European Championship attracts precious little attention, with crowds rarely over 1000 or so for its fixtures over the last few years.

Jesus. Nobody needs England B and I dare say it is only the RFL that want it.

DC80

Juniors
Jesus. Nobody needs England B and I dare say it is only the RFL that want it.
If they put in England B it will generate zero interest. It's England or nothing. There are European games already, without England, and you can literally count the number of people watching. We, England, are the only country in Europe where rugby league has any media profile. I like the idea of a six nations, however it would be a pointless, and costly, exercise to have a tournament without England.

DC80

Juniors
There is also the question of what kind of England team will be playing, as the tournament is reportedly scheduled to take place at the same time as England are playing New Zealand in a three-match series.

Richard Egan, the chairman of Rugby League Ireland, has expressed concern that it would not be a full strength England facing Ireland in Dublin.

“Super League clubs won’t release the big Irish players like Kyle Amor to play against England B. If we’re playing England, we want it to be the real deal.”

“We’ve got sufficient players to allow the next 20 best to be playing international rugby league.”.

Egan is expressing reality, unfortunately Nigel Wood is not listening. There's no draw in taking on a reserve team. You wouldn't be beating England - or at least trying to - you would be taking on those not good enough for England selection. There is no incentive to go watch it. If we are serious about trying to grow the game and generate some interest in the sport in Ireland, Scotland etc, places where next to no interest exists, then we have to go all in and not treat it like some reserve level competition.

Springs09

Juniors
If the Six Nations was to go ahead like he said, why couldn't we have something like this:

Week 1 - Oct 12-14
New Zealand v Tonga
Italy v Ireland
Scotland v France

Week 2 - Oct 19-21
New Zealand v Australia
England v Italy
France v Wales

Week 3 - Oct 26-28
France v New Zealand
Ireland v England
Wales v Scotland

Week 4 - Nov 2-4
Six Nations Final

Week 5 - Nov 9-11
Ireland v New Zealand

Week 6 - Nov 16-18
England v New Zealand

Week 7 - Nov 23-25
England v New Zealand

Week 8 - Nov 30 - Dec 2
England v New Zealand

jim_57

Staff member
If the Six Nations was to go ahead like he said, why couldn't we have something like this:

Week 1 - Oct 12-14
New Zealand v Tonga
Italy v Ireland
Scotland v France

Week 2 - Oct 19-21
New Zealand v Australia
England v Italy
France v Wales

Week 3 - Oct 26-28
France v New Zealand
Ireland v England
Wales v Scotland

Week 4 - Nov 2-4
Six Nations Final

Week 5 - Nov 9-11
Ireland v New Zealand

Week 6 - Nov 16-18
England v New Zealand

Week 7 - Nov 23-25
England v New Zealand

Week 8 - Nov 30 - Dec 2
England v New Zealand

Something like this could pretty easily be done, there is time for a lot more than the 3 game series + warm up we will likely get. Maybe without the weekend of just Ireland V NZ which would be a hard sell to the burnout brigade.

Throw in a Pacific series and you have a decent international calendar for the year.

Pommy

Coach
If they put in England B it will generate zero interest. It's England or nothing. There are European games already, without England, and you can literally count the number of people watching. We, England, are the only country in Europe where rugby league has any media profile. I like the idea of a six nations, however it would be a pointless, and costly, exercise to have a tournament without England.

Do you really think there’s going to be a lot of interest in a 6 nations with a full england side?

Springs09

Juniors
Do you really think there’s going to be a lot of interest in a 6 nations with a full england side?

I didn't think England v Ireland would sell out in 2013, but it did.

The only way you're ever going to build interest is if you f**king do it. A full England side means a tier 1 international comp, which means full strength tier 2 sides, which means more competitiveness and growth in these countries, which means a bigger and better 2021 World Cup, which means a better international game.

But nah, England can just play 3 games and the rest can play each other in an un-televised, un-promoted tournament with B sides and they can bring out their best sides in another 4 years.

roughyedspud

Coach
Here's a scenario for those whinging about England 'A'..

So in 2019 when there's a GB tour and world cup qualifiers..there's potential for Wales,Scotland & Ireland to lose their best players to GB effectively meaning Wales,Scotland & Ireland would have to field their reserves,their next best,their 'A' teams..call them what you want...against Russia,Malta,Serbia whoever

That's ok though isn't it?

roughyedspud

Coach
But nah, England can just play 3 games and the rest can play each other in an un-televised, un-promoted tournament with B sides and they can bring out their best sides in another 4 years.

1. England can't physically play everyone! You understand that don't you..

2.the ability of the other nations to field their best sides has cock all to do with England..half the Scotland team cried off for a world cup ffs!

jim_57

Staff member
Here's a scenario for those whinging about England 'A'..

So in 2019 when there's a GB tour and world cup qualifiers..there's potential for Wales,Scotland & Ireland to lose their best players to GB effectively meaning Wales,Scotland & Ireland would have to field their reserves,their next best,their 'A' teams..call them what you want...against Russia,Malta,Serbia whoever

That's ok though isn't it?

That is just as ridiculous/typical RL a situation as the Knights in a full International tournament. 2 wrongs don't make a right though so not sure what the argument is.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Week 1 - Oct 12-14
New Zealand v Tonga
Italy v Ireland
Scotland v France

Week 2 - Oct 19-21
New Zealand v Australia
England v Italy
France v Wales

Week 3 - Oct 26-28
France v New Zealand
Ireland v England
Wales v Scotland

Week 4 - Nov 2-4
Six Nations Final

Week 5 - Nov 9-11
Ireland v New Zealand

Week 6 - Nov 16-18
England v New Zealand

Week 7 - Nov 23-25
England v New Zealand

Week 8 - Nov 30 - Dec 2
England v New Zealand

Nailed it!

roughyedspud

Coach
I don't think it's wrong though..that's the point!

In the English football league trophy,our whatever it's called these days, premier league under 23s & 21s where allowed to enter along with pro league one and two clubs..Oldham athletic had Newcastle united u23s in their group for example...

And people whinged and moaned..much like what people are doing with the knights, but the clubs got on with it and battered these premier league reserves...that's what we in rugby league need to do..just get on with it! I'd love nothing more than for them to batter the knights.

So the European cup can either go 2 ways..we have the usual affair which no one watches,no media interest and no one cares about..

Or we have one featuring a England team,it can't be the full England team cos they have prior arrangements,the RFL host the comp,play games in Warrington,Leigh,Rochdale etc to modest crowds, certainly better than the 200+ a dog without a England team, with a England presence it will attract media coverage from the BBC, premiersports/freesport..

I know which version I'd rather see...

adamkungl

Immortal
I agree with Spud.. my only concern is the games not being counted as Test matches because one of the teams involved isn't a Test team. Call them England but send out the reserve team and I'm happy.

jim_57

Staff member
So the European cup can either go 2 ways..we have the usual affair which no one watches,no media interest and no one cares about..

Or we have one featuring a England team,it can't be the full England team cos they have prior arrangements,the RFL host the comp,play games in Warrington,Leigh,Rochdale etc to modest crowds, certainly better than the 200+ a dog without a England team, with a England presence it will attract media coverage from the BBC, premiersports/freesport..

I know which version I'd rather see...

If England field a team which looks likely, all objections aside they shouldn't get any more home games than any of the others. How about aiming to get modest crowds in Ireland, Italy, Wales etc instead? France will take care of itself, in fact I'd argue the final should be in France.

As for Media coverage, I don't honestly see BBC and other major outlets taking much interest in the Knights, they barely take much interest in the full test team.