What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France's likely World Cup team: can it beat Lebanon?

France and Lebanon are in the same pool, with Australia and England. The winner of France vs Lebanon will proceed to to the quarter finals.

France'
s likely World Cup team:

Morgan Escare (Wigan)

Fouad Yaha (Catalans) Tony Gigot (Catalans), Benjamin Jullien (Warrington), Vincent Duport (Catalans)

Lucas Albert (Catalans)
Theo Fages (St. Helens)

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)
Mickael Simon (Catalans), Benjamin Garcia (Catalans)
Remi Casty (Catalans), Eloi Pelissier (Leigh) Julien Bousquet (Catalans)

Interchange: Kane Bentley (Toulouse), Gadwin Springer (Castleford), Romain Navarette (Wigan), Antoni Maria (Leigh)

Reserves
:Gavin Marguerite (Toulouse), William Barthau (London), Damien Cardace (Lezignan), Kevin Larroyer (Castleford), Thibault Margalet (Catalans)

Lebanon could pick a team that included the following:

FB: Reece Robinson (returning from RU)
CE: Josh Mansour (Penrith), Travis Robinson
FE: Michell Moses (Parramatta)
PR: Tim Mannah (Parramatta),
HK: Robbie Farah (Souths), Michael Lichaa (Canterbury):

But while the above mentioned Lebanese heritage players are all outstanding (Travis Robinson excepted), the fact of the matter is that the second division players that would make up the bulk of the Lebanon pack will be no match for the seasoned first graders in the French pack. Robbie Farah would probably have to play scrum half and have Lichaaa as hooker for the team to function.

Force

Juniors
When it comes to France, they always seem to disappoint so who knows. Also, I dont expect Mansour to play for Lebanon, he'll end up with Australia if fit.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
France is finally getting somewhere with more players making it at SL teams other then Catalan. It's like the effect NZ Warriors have had on the NRL. Also with Toulouse going so well in the championship there is real hope that France can realistically start to compete with the bigger nations in the next few years rather then disappointing every time.

The Daddy3

Juniors
France and Lebanon are in the same pool, with Australia and England. The winner of France vs Lebanon will proceed to to the quarter finals.

France'
s likely World Cup team:

Morgan Escare (Wigan)

Fouad Yaha (Catalans) Tony Gigot (Catalans), Benjamin Jullien (Warrington), Vincent Duport (Catalans)

Lucas Albert (Catalans)
Theo Fages (St. Helens)

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)
Mickael Simon (Catalans), Benjamin Garcia (Catalans)
Remi Casty (Catalans), Eloi Pelissier (Leigh) Julien Bousquet (Catalans)

Interchange: Kane Bentley (Toulouse), Gadwin Springer (Castleford), Romain Navarette (Wigan), Antoni Maria (Leigh)

Reserves
:Gavin Marguerite (Toulouse), William Barthau (London), Damien Cardace (Lezignan), Kevin Larroyer (Castleford), Thibault Margalet (Catalans)

Lebanon could pick a team that included the following:

FB: Reece Robinson (returning from RU)
CE: Josh Mansour (Penrith), Travis Robinson
FE: Michell Moses (Parramatta)
PR: Tim Mannah (Parramatta),
HK: Robbie Farah (Souths), Michael Lichaa (Canterbury):

But while the above mentioned Lebanese heritage players are all outstanding (Travis Robinson excepted), the fact of the matter is that the second division players that would make up the bulk of the Lebanon pack will be no match for the seasoned first graders in the French pack. Robbie Farah would probably have to play scrum half and have Lichaaa as hooker for the team to function.

So many reasons I disagree with that team, do you even watch French Rugby league? Bentley can't even get a game for TO these days. The guy playing in his place Marion is much more of a contender and would actually play alongside pellisier. Secondly if you'd actually been to any games you would have seen Marguerite play who's been a stand out in the championship, he should go in the first 17 without doubt. You've also overlooked other TO players who are playing really well Ader, Canet, Boyer deserve a look in and I hope will get the chance to show how good they are in the middle eights against super league teams.

Isn't Mansour Maltese?

Josh Mansour is part Maltese, part Portugese, but more Lebanese.

There will be no Maltese team because Jarrod Sammut is unavailable.

There will be no Portugese team because Isaac de Gois is unavailable.

Lebanon would be Mansour's natural choice if Australia doesn't want him.

So many reasons I disagree with that team, do you even watch French Rugby league? Bentley can't even get a game for TO these days. The guy playing in his place Marion is much more of a contender and would actually play alongside pellisier. Secondly if you'd actually been to any games you would have seen Marguerite play who's been a stand out in the championship, he should go in the first 17 without doubt. You've also overlooked other TO players who are playing really well Ader, Canet, Boyer deserve a look in and I hope will get the chance to show how good they are in the middle eights against super league teams.

You cannot compare players doing well in the Championship with Super League players. I have chosen Super League players ahead of Championship players.

Gavin Marguerite is talented but is young and still has a lot to learn. Benjamin Jullien has proven himself a tremendous defender for Warrington and would contribute greatly to France's performance,

Kane Bentley can get a game for Toulouse -- he played for Toulouse on Monday.

LESStar58

Referee
Josh Mansour is part Maltese, part Portugese, but more Lebanese.

There will be no Maltese team because Jarrod Sammut is unavailable.

There will be no Portugese team because Isaac de Gois is unavailable.

Lebanon would be Mansour's natural choice if Australia doesn't want him.

Ah. Noted.

jim_57

Staff member
You cannot compare players doing well in the Championship with Super League players. I have chosen Super League players ahead of Championship players.

Gavin Marguerite is talented but is young and still has a lot to learn. Benjamin Jullien has proven himself a tremendous defender for Warrington and would contribute greatly to France's performance,

If they aren't playing SL regularly in the lead up to the World Cup though then in form Championship players are the better option.

I'd perhaps look at Fages and Barthau in the halves, the only 2 halves players who are regulars in full time teams, with Albert on the utility bench spot.

2018 onwards is another story.

jim_57

Staff member
I thought I remember seeing he is playing Under 19's, not 100% sure on that though.

The Daddy3

Juniors

We'll see in the Super 8s and by the way Benjamin Julien isn't a centre.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
The French should get the job done, the Lebanese won't be easy beats, the nsw and QLD cup top teams would beat some super league teams.