What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Franchise player?

JJ

Immortal
If you had the job of starting a franchise from scratch... who is the player (or couple of players) you would pull out all stops to sign and build a team around?

I don't have the answer, and the more I think the more you need a few i.e., Melbourne with Hill, Kimmorlery, Lazarus and Kearns (although 2 of them didn't play in their GF win.

I think
Craig Gower (his age means I wouldn't go with Johns, others to consider would be Stacey Jones, Matt Orford, Craig Wing and Brett Sherwin )

I'm a big believer in forward power, so I think Luke Bailey, Joel Clinton and Ryan O'Hara are three that spring to mind immediately.

I guess I'm saying props and a playmaker (I had Lockyer in mind, but think you can make do with a solid or running fullback - and half or 5/8 is more critical)

Raider_69

Post Whore
FORWARDS
=========
well i would look for young and powerful forwards with maybe and experience back rower with versitility and a high work rate, and so some people who can promote the ball, hardworking hooker that knows shows leadership capabilities.... the 6 priorities would be Croker, O'Hara, Clinton, Morrison, Smith and N Hindmarsh

HALFS
======
i would go experienced by reasonably young halfs, both with reasonable speed and exciting ball runners, the half would have to have plenty of talent in getting the ball out to the back.... i would go for Orford and McLidden

BACKS
======
Looking for young, enthusiastic players with experiece in some big matches, also a steady fullback that can turn the game on its head when needed, fast and strong wingers and reasonably quick centres with some defencive capabilitys, the five i would go after would be Schif, Rooney, Monaghan, Lewis and Graham

If I had to choose 3...

Stacey Jones, Bailey and Puletua. I would also be looking for a back rower with a high work rate, like a Brad Clyde, a hooker with good dummy half skills and high level of tackling (like Smith from Melbourne/Qld).

In the backs, I would want a safe fullback with good returns, and at least one rep standard centre, Jamie Lyon would be ideal

EdBurton

Juniors
This is tough.

I'd probably go with Sherwin at half, cause he's still young and when fit is very solid.
For a Front Rower I'd either go with O'Meley or Joel Clinton, both young.
and for a random other position I'd go with Puletua.
Although a younger Ruben Wiki would have been nice

Special K

Coach
I would sign, O'Meley, Nutley, Gower(can play 6.7 and 9 very well), Mat Rogers from Rar Rar and then I would just raid QLD for talent.

with O'Meley I'll get the go forward, with Nutley I'll get a thousand tackles, a thousand hit ups and a 80 min front rower and with Rat I'll get a world class back and goal kicker. Ofcourse I would need more to win a comp but if you started a team with these guys then you have a great start of something.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
if i only could choose one player it would be craig fitzgibbon, amazing work-rate and a top class goal kicker

Azkatro

First Grade
You would generally have to try and pick guys that are class players but are in clubs that they'd rather not be in right now.

So picking Sharks players is probably a pretty good start!

JJ

Immortal
I could be a real prick and ask where the class payers are at Cronulla???

But to be fair, there are a few there that have potential - Beattie, Nutley, Hilder etc...

One thing for sure, despite his success at Melbourne, my coach would not be Chris Anderson

salivor

First Grade
For halves I'd be looking at two and two only, Seymour and Firman. You want a couple of young halves overflowing with talent that will be the future of your club.

In forwards I'd pick up the likes of Parker and Clinton, again young and enthusiastic.

The Colonel

Immortal
Tim Smith - up and coming 5/8 at the Eels

Brett Firman - next long term Australian halfback

Trent Waterhouse - second row - front row.

Well I like youth so i'd go all out for Brett Firman at halfback. Joel Clinton up front, and maybe Minichiello at the back. Benji Marshall at 5/8. And I gotta have a Raider so I'd go for Phil Graham. Maybe look for an experienced/workhorse guy in the forwards like Campion. I'd raid about 4 or 5 players from the batercard cup here in NZ, and maybe the same amount from the QLD cup. And I'd have Laurie Daley coach the side.

SP

Bench
id also pick some of the young guns:

Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney, Michael Witt, Joel Clinton & Ryan Ohara

and get a couple of players from country QLD/NSW and interstate clubs

and also give some players a lifeline

Bengal

Juniors
I'd start up the top.

Pick the right management, they'll pick the right coaching staff and they'll pick the right players.

Example the Warriors.

Other recent examples of good management decisions:

The Roosters hiring Ricky Stuart

Penrith hiring John Lang

Yeh i wud pick Firman, he is only young but in extremely talented. Then probably Luke Bailey and Joel Clinton. In the backs i would want probably someone young, but Nathan Blacklock wudnt be bad if his defence improved some more.

Kasper

Bench
I would go for a mixture of youth, experience without being to old and talent.

Forwards- Morrison-experienced without being to old and a great player. Clinton- young up and commer who has already got rep honours.

Halves-A young half with an experienced 5/8 would be my go.
Firman- Young and talented.
Campbell- Has been through alot gaining expereince from this and a great player.

Backs: Lyon-Awesome player, good defender, great attacker, prolific try scorer.
Bowen- Electric, cuts teams up, with him and Campbell in the same team the oppsition would have no chance of stopping them.

Latest posts