What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeing up cap room for season 2018

Pommy

Coach
You may very well be right re Burgess but seriously the World club challenge...? that's off season practice for the NRL which is why the only other team that wanted to go was the broncos. No one takes it seriously. If the SL is well and truly going to prove that it's better or on par with the NRL then England should be able to compete with Australia and New Zealand in the World Cup.

Im not saying England is as good as Australia or that SL is as good or better than the NRL I'm saying average plodders in the NRL are not going to take the SL by storm.
If the gap was as big as your saying it wouldn't matter if its a pre season throw around or not it would be like men and boys. In your world that is. Dont forget only 18 months ago England beat NZ 2-1 in a series. Both sides were missing key players before that line is trotted out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Gray because he is injury prone???
Yep and as he wants more than we are willing to give.

He didn't take our offer someone on here someone said and he wants to see how his form goes.

I'm sick of players poor loyalty and they should be thinking about the team if Souths means a lot to them and not all about their own selfish importance.

OVP

Coach
Yep and as he wants more than we are willing to give.

He didn't take our offer someone on here someone said and he wants to see how his form goes.

I'm sick of players poor loyalty and they should be thinking about the team if Souths means a lot to them and not all about their own selfish importance.

Yeah that's right. How dare the players look after themselves, after all they only have a relatively short time in the game before their body falls to bits. They should be doing everything they can to keep Rabbits20 happy. Selfish bastards.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah that's right. How dare the players look after themselves, after all they only have a relatively short time in the game before their body falls to bits. They should be doing everything they can to keep Rabbits20 happy. Selfish bastards.

We just go to work for the love of it don't we?

callmack1

Staff member
You may very well be right re Burgess but seriously the World club challenge...? that's off season practice for the NRL which is why the only other team that wanted to go was the broncos. No one takes it seriously. If the SL is well and truly going to prove that it's better or on par with the NRL then England should be able to compete with Australia and New Zealand in the World Cup.
Teams take the actual World Club Challenge seriously.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Teams take the actual World Club Challenge seriously.

I don't believe they do tbh. Why take it seriously if there's a risk one of your players will get injured? All of the top 8 teams besides broncos and sharks declined the challenge. To me that just says it's not a respected challenge at all. But I guess you can't really tell unless you're one of the players

Im not saying England is as good as Australia or that SL is as good or better than the NRL I'm saying average plodders in the NRL are not going to take the SL by storm.
If the gap was as big as your saying it wouldn't matter if its a pre season throw around or not it would be like men and boys. In your world that is. Dont forget only 18 months ago England beat NZ 2-1 in a series. Both sides were missing key players before that line is trotted out.

You give a fair argument pommy. Maybe the gap isn't as big as I say it is. I guess I've always considered it way below the NRL because of how little I know about it and the players that play in it. I always saw the super league just like the aleague here tbh.

Travitoh

First Grade
I don't believe they do tbh. Why take it seriously if there's a risk one of your players will get injured? All of the top 8 teams besides broncos and sharks declined the challenge. To me that just says it's not a respected challenge at all. But I guess you can't really tell unless you're one of the players

You give a fair argument pommy. Maybe the gap isn't as big as I say it is. I guess I've always considered it way below the NRL because of how little I know about it and the players that play in it. I always saw the super league just like the aleague here tbh.

I always thought the same about SL until i spent a couple of seasons over there. I was quite surprised by the standard of some of it and i feel it is still getting better. You only need to look at the fall of Leeds back to the pack, the rise of Castleford, Hull and Warrington amongst the contenders.
They don't have the stars that the NRL has largely due to the differences in earnings but across the board there is a good spread of players that can play.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I always thought the same about SL until i spent a couple of seasons over there. I was quite surprised by the standard of some of it and i feel it is still getting better. You only need to look at the fall of Leeds back to the pack, the rise of Castleford, Hull and Warrington amongst the contenders.
They don't have the stars that the NRL has largely due to the differences in earnings but across the board there is a good spread of players that can play.

Yeah i mean it's hard for any other league to really stand up to what the NRL has produced. Mostly because how are you going to become bigger than the league that started at all? I mean you hear of some good players there. You've got a few that have come here and killed it too. I guess it's hard to see England produce anything else other than soccer players haha.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Stop trolling.

Look how loyal Sutto has been too Souths.

Look how loyal Pearce has been for you guys.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah i mean it's hard for any other league to really stand up to what the NRL has produced. Mostly because how are you going to become bigger than the league that started at all? I mean you hear of some good players there. You've got a few that have come here and killed it too. I guess it's hard to see England produce anything else other than soccer players haha.

Whoah excuse me? Lol. Rugby league didn't start in 1908 and the rules weren't laid out in Redfern town hall despite what the media here say. My England shirt has 1895 on it for a reason.

As for the other post I'm not saying the SL is better.
Both are different. The NRL has so much talent and money but is played in a very boring manor at times whereas the SL lacks the flair and skill but is just played in a much more flowing manor.

Comparing the SL to the A league is a disservice maybe the NRL is the EPL/La Liga where the SL is the Bundesliga.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Whoah excuse me? Lol. Rugby league didn't start in 1908 and the rules weren't laid out in Redfern town hall despite what the media here. My England shirt has 1895 on it for a reason.

As for the other post I'm not saying the SL is better.
Both are different. The NRL has so much talent and money but is played in a very boring manor at times whereas the SL lacks the flair and skill but is just played in a much more flowing manor.

Comparing the SL to the A league is a disservice maybe the NRL is the EPL/La Liga where the SL is the Bundesliga.

Maybe a comparison to the dutch errdivisie would be a better comparison. Still a good league with good players, just a step below the epl/ la liga. Has a monopoly a handful of big clubs with big histories. Clubs that where once powerhouses. Those big clubs would be competive in bigger leagues but once you go past those big clubs the drop off is dramatic. If Wigan are Ajax and St Helens are psv then Leigh are the Go Ahead Eagles. The league has good players and can provide a huge number of players for a competitive international team, but any time someone approaches the superstar level they try their luck in the big league.

callmack1

Staff member
I agree that the club's that participate in the other series games don't take it seriously, I was talking about the actual World Club Challenge, premiers vs premiers. That is taken seriously.

CAFPOW

Juniors
I have that gut feeling Souths will give in to the demand of Sutton and AJ and will wait till the end of the season for both party to continue their contract negotiation. They will continue the contract negotiation when all talented 2017 off contracted players have re-signed with their current club or another. So much for freeing up space in the salary cap.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I have that gut feeling Souths will give in to the demand of Sutton and AJ and will wait till the end of the season for both party to continue their contract negotiation. They will continue the contract negotiation when all talented 2017 off contracted players have re-signed with their current club or another. So much for freeing up space in the salary cap.
Yep it's farcical.

Pommy

Coach
Not to sound like a whinging Pom but the way the NRL are running this sport I'm starting to think the SL is getting the upper hand as far as a viewing experience is concerned.
What the f**k is going on with the bunker.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Not to sound like a whinging Pom but the way the NRL are running this sport I'm starting to think the SL is getting the upper hand as far as a viewing experience is concerned.
What the f**k is going on with the bunker.

Yeah the bunker is a joke. They have all this time to review decisions and still make terrible choices. Their should be penalties for continuous incorrect decisions.