What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeing up cap room for season 2018

doyen

Bench
[QUOTE="Pommy

As for the other post I'm not saying the SL is better.
Both are different. The NRL has so much talent and money but is played in a very boring manor at times whereas the SL lacks the flair and skill but is just played in a much more flowing manor.

Comparing the SL to the A league is a disservice maybe the NRL is the EPL/La Liga where the SL is the Bundesliga.[/QUOTE]

I think you've hit the nail on the head here----they play RL as it is meant to be played in the Old Dart!! In Great Britain they've maintained some degree of purity.

League has been bastardised to the point in Aust. that it can hardly be called RUGBY LEAGUE!!

I call it ROBOT LEAGUE & it is often a chore to watch & behold---I rarely watch any team other than STHS!!

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
I think Fox Sports is hinting that AJ wants Fullback money while Souths sees him as a Winger than can play Fullback. Sure, AJ's got speed, but Souths needs a Fullback that has more than just speed.

Yep...tell him he's dreaming.

He's one of the most ineffectual fullbacks in the comp.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Funnily enough people are criticising south's for letting aj go though negotiations they way he is, by saying he is looking for a fullbacks contract. South's are pretty smart just holding off. More performances like that and he'll be lucky if he gets a wingers contract

greg jay

Juniors
We don't need another player in our pack though who doesn't make metres.

We already have Turner and Clark who don't make big metres, why add a third????

Sorry but I can't see the sense mate.

Sam already does so much of the metre gainage, we can't put more on Sam.
This is the thing. Sam needs to do MUCH MORE than just run for 100+ metres. When does he offload and create scoring opportunities? Or score himself? I dont see it.

Most teams go close, or win the spoon within 5 years of winning the comp.

It's the NRL cycle.

Look at Saints since 2010. It is now our turn again.

callmack1

Staff member
Most teams go close, or win the spoon within 5 years of winning the comp.

It's the NRL cycle.

Look at Saints since 2010. It is now our turn again.
Cowboys could be on their way down too. It is the cycle. Look at the Roosters last year.

doyen

Bench
This is the thing. Sam needs to do MUCH MORE than just run for 100+ metres. When does he offload and create scoring opportunities? Or score himself? I dont see it.

Sam is a hard,tough,uncompromising forward with limited skills--he tries his guts out week in & week out-----he is a very big boy which is advantageous to him---if he was 100 kgs he would still be the ultimate goer--he has a big heart;which is Sam's greatest strength!!!!
I have been watching Sths for 60 yrs & there have been many classier forwards than Sam playing for us!!

Sam has been placed on too high a pedestal!!

greg jay

Juniors
Joe Burgess is a young kid who was parachuted in to two total shit shows and if you don't think that effects his performances then I suggest you think again.
If the SL is so sub par how did Wire and Wigan win both WCC games this season?
Joe Burgess = ELECTRICITY!!! He struck up a great combination with Aaron Gray. Compare Joe to Old Goodwin!!!! HUH!!!

greg jay

Juniors
Cowboys could be on their way down too. It is the cycle. Look at the Roosters last year.
Hold on. Souths had basically a YOUNG side in 2014. Walker and A'vua were TWO YOUNG STARTING CENTRES. Keary was YOUNG. Burgess Brothers YOUNG. Johnson YOUNG. Reynolds YOUNG. And so on. Maguire has lost BOTH Walker and A'vua to OTHER CLUBS and BOTH are playing very well and WINNING. Ditto for Keary. Reynolds and Johnson have deteriorated noticeably. Maguire bears a LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY for this its NOT A MATTER OF BROKEN DOWN OLD BODIES which is usually responsible for the ending of positive football cycles.