What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French players who could do well in the NRL

Amin Yashed

Juniors
Real rocks and diamonds player, more rocks than diamonds, way too small for NRL.

Lots of energy, not tough enough for NRL. Not good enough game management for a NRL hooker.

Also rocks and diamonds, but shows a lot of promise. Young, may do well in a forgiving NRL structure, as long as expectations are moderated. Over hyped in Super League, wouldn't be good to come to the NRL with that sort of expectation.

More experienced, larger (but still too small for NRL) version of Escare, even more extreme rocks and diamonds, great highlights, terrible lowlights. Not the consistency needed for NRL

A bit of a surprise, has done really well this year, helping the whole Dragons team lift into one of their more consistent seasons. I agree, still too young and inexperienced for NRL, but one to watch.

I haven't seen much of him, he is new at the top level I think. Doesn't look powerful enough for NRL, not getting huge game time or setting the field alight in a pretty poor Wolves pack this season.

Haven't seen him yet. Hopefully Toulouse get a shot at Super League soon and we can see more of their players.

Casty by the way, is in as good form as I've ever seen, but still probably not up to NRL.

I think Bousquet is doing OK this season, and has the size to do well in the NRL, has cleaned up his game a bit and coming to the "tough" part of his career, could be a possibility.
Hi Albert.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given the French players are hardly setting the Superleague alight suggests that if they came here, they'd languish in the NSW Cup, much like Gigot did a few years back when he was at Cronulla.

They've long struggled to field a decent forward pack since the mid 1970's.

Marine le Pen would make an alright organising #7 on a mediocre team as long as she's inside a solid running 5/8th and her duties mostly entailed telling forwards with low IQs where to run.

Could guide a team to top 2 but probably not a premiership winning half.

Given the French players are hardly setting the Superleague alight suggests that if they came here, they'd languish in the NSW Cup, much like Gigot did a few years back when he was at Cronulla.

I forgot to to mention Julien Bousquet. Big prop forward who would waltz into most NRL sides.

I would also think Jason Baitieri would have a shot in the NRL.

jim_57

Staff member

Josh Hodgson hardly set SL alight.

Josh Hodgson hardly set SL alight.

Yes, Josh Hodgson was a mediocre player in SL. Now he is one of the two or three best hookers in the NRL.
Ricky Stuart took a punt on him and turned him into a great hooker.

That is why it is worth taking a chance on young players who already show great promise, like the French players whom I have listed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hodgson was not mediocre in SL.

He made the Test side for f**ks sake.

jim_57

Staff member
Hodgson was not mediocre in SL.

He made the Test side for f**ks sake.

Fair point, although from memory he made the test side as 1 of 2 hookers after the first 2 picks were ruled out with injury.

I can tell you there was a lot of pessimism by English fans when he was signed by Canberra and he was by no means a "star" of Super League.

Amin Yashed

Juniors
That's good.

Someone who joined yesterday with 49 messages accusing me of being an alt.

Pretty sure Albert is a troll with a very dry sense of humour who has nothing but praise for the Roosters and French players. That would be 0 out of 4 for me (especially on the having a sense of humour...)
Sorry Albert the II

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair point, although from memory he made the test side as 1 of 2 hookers after the first 2 picks were ruled out with injury.

I can tell you there was a lot of pessimism by English fans when he was signed by Canberra and he was by no means a "star" of Super League.
I never stated he was a star.

I made the point that he wasn't as shithouse as was being made out.