What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh start for the Warriors?

Perth Red

Post Whore
news that Watson may be close to selling the Warriors. Can new owners reinvigorate this massively underperforming club?

Eric Watson is set to relinquish ownership of the New Zealand Warriors, with Auckland businessman Paul Davys taking control of the club.

Mr Davys has confirmed to Newshub it was "100 percent correct" he was close to buying the Warriors.

He will be a co-director with former Kiwis international Peter Brown of childcare centre ChoiceKids.

"I'm a rugby league supporter and I can see that the Warriors are the heart and soul of New Zealand rugby league," Davys told Andrew Gourdie and Jim Kayes on RadioLIVE.

"I feel I can make a difference, that's really what sparked my interest."

Mr Davys used to coach the Howick Hornets, the Te Atatu Roosters and was a recruiter for the Brisbane Broncos.

While his business partner, Mr Brown is also an NRL agent and manages current Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2017/08/new-zealand-warriors-set-to-be-sold-report.html

Grapple

Bench
giphy.gif

davi

Juniors
Something needs to happen.

Pissing off an atrocious coach who accepts mediocrity would be a great start to rebuild.

Easy to get on the "Fire the coach" bandwagon. But if Stephen Kearney is fired it will be the fourth coach that has been fired since Ivan Clearly departed. Players are running out excuses fast and frankly something's gotta to give.

TheDMC

Bench
Easy to get on the "Fire the coach" bandwagon. But if Stephen Kearney is fired it will be the fourth coach that has been fired since Ivan Clearly departed. Players are running out excuses fast and frankly something's gotta to give.

Good point. But Kearney is mud so he needs to be fired regardless. Not much difference between firing four coaches and five coaches. Just a number, and a largely irrelevant one. 14 losses and 7 wins is much more relevant. Add in the fact that the defence remains woeful, the attack not much better, I've seen enough Kearney to know he aint much chop.

Need a clean out from top to bottom though - sell the club and start again. Get rid of half the team - Luke, Hoffman, Lillyman, Thompson, Afoa, Vete, Lisone, Kata, Maumolo...

Vic Mackey

Referee
In all seriousness they should throw $2mil a year at Bellamy. If he can give them success it will be well worth it.

But hell he might not even take that to go over there

davi

Juniors
Good point. But Kearney is mud so he needs to be fired regardless. Not much difference between firing four coaches and five coaches. Just a number, and a largely irrelevant one. 14 losses and 7 wins is much more relevant. Add in the fact that the defence remains woeful, the attack not much better, I've seen enough Kearney to know he aint much chop.

Need a clean out from top to bottom though - sell the club and start again. Get rid of half the team - Luke, Hoffman, Lillyman, Thompson, Afoa, Vete, Lisone, Kata, Maumolo...

It is relevant because sacking the coach doesn't always solve the problem as the Warriors have shown. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Scapegoating coaches may make you feel good, but it's not always the answer. The Warriors have changed coaches more then Australia has changed Prime Ministers, that turbulence continually changing direction hardly will settle the players and improve the culture that Kearney is trying to fix.

A new coach is part of the solution. Kearney is and always has been useless.

Breaking up the players' "bro" culture of laziness at training is another part of the solution. The coach has to do that with the urging of the new owners.

Retaining Shaun Johnson, Simon Mannering, Jakob Lillyman, Ryan Hoffman, and Solomone Kata is essential.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have stupidly had a soft spot for the Warriors for 22 years...

They should have won a comp or two by now with the resources at their disposal...

Gotta funny feeling that come the 2019 kick off their coach might be one Desmond Hasler...

flippikat

Bench
Following the Warriors is a lot like that Beatles song where Paul McCartney sings "It's getting better all the time", then John Lennon replies "It can't get much worse".