What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh start for the Warriors?

Frailty

First Grade
There needs to be a big shift in thinking.

I get that they are strong on having NZ born/heritage players, but that's not going to work in the NRL. Not one team relies on local players and is successful.

They also have a lot of under performing players that have been at the club for too long.

Basically, they need to strip the place down, and rebuild it through smart recruitment. Aim for quality at value, not just the biggest name available.

flippikat

Bench
Story on TVNZ 1 news tonight mentioned that the deal has been agreed, and Daniel Anderson could be football manager under the new ownership.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
NRL will have to sign off on Daniel Anderson doing anything first.

Hope the new owner is ready to get his hands dirty. Some serious rebuilding/broom sweeping needs to occur, but that doesn't come cheap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs work on and off the field. They should be blowing clubs away in the membership race given their population reach across NZ and Aus and their crowds are pretty poor for a one city club. Of course having a team that can actually perform consistently and look like they care would help. I bet they do well in merch sales though, every kiwi I see has a warriors top or cap on!

Grail

Juniors
Story on TVNZ 1 news tonight mentioned that the deal has been agreed, and Daniel Anderson could be football manager under the new ownership.

I can't for a second believe that, given Anderson being complicit in the Eels Cap debacle, that even forgoing the presumption that the NRL would register him again, any Club would want him.

Iafeta

Referee
Needs work on and off the field. They should be blowing clubs away in the membership race given their population reach across NZ and Aus and their crowds are pretty poor for a one city club. Of course having a team that can actually perform consistently and look like they care would help. I bet they do well in merch sales though, every kiwi I see has a warriors top or cap on!

They're enormously successful with merchandise. In terms of crowds, they are the joke of the league at the moment and I would say if they figure their don't care why should they. At least with Newcastle I always had the impression their young blokes were ripping and a tearing.

davi

Juniors
I can't for a second believe that, given Anderson being complicit in the Eels Cap debacle, that even forgoing the presumption that the NRL would register him again, any Club would want him.

For the Warriors there is nothing but good memories of Daniel Anderson when he was their coach. Took them to their first finals in 2001, and the Grand Final in 2002 going down to the Roosters. In terms of football knowledge he's a smart choice.

Anderson & Warriors were made for each other. We have talent but are ill disciplined and have some mental issues when it comes to being the best of the best. Anderson knew that the Kiwis are a more care free and lack mental steel from the earlier grades. Hence he got into their heads and made them think they are the best (Even when a player was clearly out-classed by his opposite) Anderson would always get into their ear and say you are faster. That shit really works personally speaking because when I have someone in my ear dedicated to making me feel like i can achieve, I always do and ignore the negative thoughts. This is what is needed at the Club someone always in their heads making them confident. Australians have that over Kiwis. They are raised to win and never accept silver or losing. Kiwis are raised to play hard but play fair. For me that is a big weakness in NZ culture. We need to win that Gold always never accept 2nd place

Grapple

Bench
There needs to be a big shift in thinking.

I get that they are strong on having NZ born/heritage players, but that's not going to work in the NRL. Not one team relies on local players and is successful.

They also have a lot of under performing players that have been at the club for too long.

Basically, they need to strip the place down, and rebuild it through smart recruitment. Aim for quality at value, not just the biggest name available.

Nothing to do with this thread, but damn that picture in your sig is a great shot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
For the Warriors there is nothing but good memories of Daniel Anderson when he was their coach. Took them to their first finals in 2001, and the Grand Final in 2002 going down to the Roosters. In terms of football knowledge he's a smart choice.

You seem to have forgotten 2004. It was a debacle and Anderson was largely to blame. I still rate the guy but let's not get all misty eyed and think it was all good.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
You seem to have forgotten 2004. It was a debacle and Anderson was largely to blame. I still rate the guy but let's not get all misty eyed and think it was all good.
Yeah I think he made a huge misjudgment, that was the year that they changed the rule interpretations around speed of the play the ball to get away from wrestlemania (and maybe did something with the interchange too I forget?) And he'd spent the off season building the players up into monsters and they got blown off the park by other teams that adapted better to it...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors always used to be a hard hitting team but it seems a long time since they had anyone you'd be fearful of. They need a Ruben wiki enforcer type to emerge.

Please enlighten me on this "Bro" culture you speak of? How do you know they are lazy Trainers?

It was reported by former full back Sam Tomkins after he left the NZ Warriors. People would come late and try to cut corners. Tomkins said that discipline at training was much better at Wigan Warriors.

Meth

Staff member
Coaching is key at the Warriors. The right coach needs to be given enough time and space to get things back on track. Unfortunately, we've created a mess of a situation and the calibre of coach that we need wouldn't bother with us.

2011- Cleary shown the door. Arguably the most successful coach in our history and he guides us to the GF on his way out. (Warriors teams in the GF in all 3 grades that year)

2012- Brian McClennan. It doesn't take a genius to see that this bloke isn't a genius. But we are all relatively open to give him a chance. He knows Kiwi Rugby League. He has a good roster to work with. He lasted 24 rounds....and was replaced for a couple of games by Tony Iro...the bro's choice for coach.

2013- Talk is rife we've signed Bellamy. Perfect. You can imagine our excitement when we're told that Bellamy was supposedly keen enough to come (*cough* bullshit *cough*), but Scurrah was won over by the amazing vision of Matthew Elliott.

Matthew Elliot.

He wanted 1 year. We insisted on 2. Then we sacked him in Round 5 of his second year.

2014- McFadden. We were so excited by his early success that we quickly extended his contract. He was due to be coaching until the end of this season. He was sacked at the end of last season.

Who will it be? Wayne Bennett? Craig Bellamy? Jack Gibson's ghost?

Nope- Stephen Kearney FFS. 3 year deal, which we can all guarantee that he won't see out.

All of these changes have been hailed as fresh starts, all the while we've been digging ourselves a deeper hole. "Dig up stupid". Unfortunately, I think we need to write off 2018 and 2019 and pay big money in 2020 for a decent coach who can implement a vision for a fresh start. As much as we need one, we're not ready for one yet...not from the coach down, anyway. We should be focussing on cleaning up the office at the moment.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Sam Tomkins thoughts on the warriors sums them up unfortunately. A bloke from super league FFS was stunned at how unprofessional they were.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...m/news-story/abea364ed777583bc55856c7f14ffd1b

They need a clean out from the bloke who pours the Gatorade right through to the bloke writing the checks.

And apart from the bulldogs they are the most boring team to watch in the comp. Kearney's 'process' is shit.

Latest posts