What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Squat

Do you front squat

• Total voters

Cliffhanger

Coach
Those of you who participate in a resistance training program will almost certainly squat, if you don't you should probably start. What tends to be less common amongst people who do resistance training is front squat, I didn't even take up front squat until I took up Oly weight lifting.

While back squats are definitely the more useful of the two (you can squat heavier, it's a more natural way to squat, it's more effective for loading your lower body muscles), the front squat is not without its benefits and it isn't redundant to do both especially if you do the Olympic lifts or have knee problems (the loading on your knees is 20 per cent lower with front squats when compared to backs). The front squat also really trains your spinal erectors because your back is more upright than it is with the back squat.

I used to hate the front squat, not just because I couldn't use as much weight, but because my clavicle sticks out a bit so when I first started front squatting it got fairly bruised, but now I love it, and am making some decent gains with it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I do them, however due to multiple injuries I find I dont have the flexibility in my elbows and wrists to hold the bar properly. I use straps to control the bar

front-squat-straps-1.jpg

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
I don't understand why the straps should be necessary, if the bar is in the right position and your elbows are up it can rest in place with out your hands holding it there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I don't understand why the straps should be necessary, if the bar is in the right position and your elbows are up it can rest in place with out your hands holding it there.

Multiple elbow dislocations and wrist fractures has reduced the flexibility in my arms Cliffy. I cant even get close to touching my collarbones with my palm facing outwards.

The straps give me more confidence and control and ultimately safety.

Thomas

First Grade
I'm with Joker. I don't have the flexibility in my wrists to do front squats. Also, I find it completely unnatural. I think I probably need some time with a coach.

shaggs

Coach
I do them but don't hold the bar properly.
I know my hands and elbows are technically wrong but the bar is good. As is my leg technique, so it works for me.

GuardDog

Juniors
Most( me included) dont have the flexibility to front squat oly style.Chunky triceps dont help at all. I just cross my arms and sit the bar across the top delts/chest area

Latest posts