What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funding for expansion clubs for 2012

chefman21

Juniors
Meh. I want strong clubs in a strong competition. Sort out our current clubs first. If the current bids are up to standard they won't need much outside support. I strongly support expansion but not at the cost of another clubs detriment. Or at the cost of junior clubs.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
So what your saying is the NRL should play no part in its growth, and leave it to others to stump up the cash? Running the NRL club is only a small part of an expansion project. If Perth enters the comp, I would like to think they will be able to cover the costs of their NRL side and administration with sponsorship, membership, crowds (16-18k to start would be nice :)) and merchandise. Anything less is unnacceptable and simply not viable.

But in a place like Perth, what about other stuff? It's an entirely new market in enemy territory. It is in the NRLs best interests to ensure junior comps are growing, Rugby League is heavily marketed, etc.

I would be happy for the NRL to put a couple of million per year into Perth for a few years in an effort to grow the game. I would NOT be happy for the NRL to give expansion teams any sort of salary cap concessions or any other way of artificially boosting their on field success, like the AFL does with concessions and draft picks. Give them a bit of extra cash, maybe, but the should be solely responsible for attracting playing talent within the same rules as everyone else.

Sorry to nitpick but I don't really feel that WA is "enemy" territory as such. WA has never been as apathetic or hostile towards the Rugby codes as Vic and SA. There has traditionally been day light between WA and the other "AFL" states in regards to both Rugby's.

By mid century Perth is projected to be the same size as Melbourne is now. That growth will be made up migrants from overseas and interstate as it would be an unfair strain on our women. Many of those "interstaters" will prefer Rugby League. Like people argue the Gold Coast is full of Vic's that gives Aussie Rules a foot in the door. So Perth will be home to former Qlder's and NSWmen. A city of 4 million with 2 AFL teams, 1 Union, 1 League team during the Winter sounds manageable to me.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sorry to nitpick but I don't really feel that WA is "enemy" territory as such. WA has never been as apathetic or hostile towards the Rugby codes as Vic and SA. There has traditionally been day light between WA and the other "AFL" states in regards to both Rugby's.

By mid century Perth is projected to be the same size as Melbourne is now. That growth will be made up migrants from overseas and interstate as it would be an unfair strain on our women. Many of those "interstaters" will prefer Rugby League. Like people argue the Gold Coast is full of Vic's that gives Aussie Rules a foot in the door. So Perth will be home to former Qlder's and NSWmen. A city of 4 million with 2 AFL teams, 1 Union, 1 League team during the Winter sounds manageable to me.

Nobody except BF morons claim that the GC is full of Vics. The Vic boom on the GC ended in the late 80's and it has been immigration from NSW since.

The Vic immigrants didn't help the Bad News Bears, there's even less chance that they'll be able to help the Suns now that they are a much smaller percentage of the population.

BDGS

Bench
You'd kind of hope this is one of the things they'd just do automatically... there was money on offer for and NRL club to relocate to the CC I'm guessing that money hasn't just disappeared.

Taken off the table and spent after the Sharks failed relocation attempt to the CC.

Latest posts