What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funnelweb nest

age.s

First Grade
So doing the mowing today I found what I'm sure is a funnel webs nest. Pretty big hole, had the distinctive web around the rim. Looked just like the ones on google. It's pretty close to the house so I want to deal with the bastard.

The internet told me to pour boiling water down it and I grabbed a shovel in case it ran out. Dumped 2 full kettles into it but the spider didn't come out. Is it likely dead or does that suggest it was out wandering when I found it? Is there likely to be more around that I havent found? Any other suggestions/precautions you'd recommend?

OVP

Coach
So doing the mowing today I found what I'm sure is a funnel webs nest. Pretty big hole, had the distinctive web around the rim. Looked just like the ones on google. It's pretty close to the house so I want to deal with the bastard.

The internet told me to pour boiling water down it and I grabbed a shovel in case it ran out. Dumped 2 full kettles into it but the spider didn't come out. Is it likely dead or does that suggest it was out wandering when I found it? Is there likely to be more around that I havent found? Any other suggestions/precautions you'd recommend?

I heard that the hospitals are running really low on anti-venom. So I'm sure they would prefer them to be caught alive so they can milk them. The only problem with that is I wouldn't really know how to do that and it would probably be very risky if a clutz like me would attempt it. But surely there must be someone out there who would catch them and give them to the relevant people to be milked. Try googling for people who will catch funnelwebs for you for free hopefully :)

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Check under the pillow. You've made a Powerful enemy.

Seriously though, it's mating season for them, so they are more commonly out and about through late summer and autumn.

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree with nuking it from orbit tbh. Collateral damage is perfectly acceptable in this situation.

Also, often if you have one, you have more, so I'd keep an eye out.

coolsteve

Juniors
I tried a petrol funnell and poured fuel down the hole and lit it. nearly knocked down the ghost gum tree next to it. didn`t end well