What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future First Graders

Tommy Smith

Referee
Slater made his debut in 2003, and he would have been 19?

And it didn't take him too long to establish himself as a star; certainly not four years.

minorthreat

Juniors
Yeah Slater scored 19 tries in his first year. He played for Qld a year after that. I think most young guys would be happy with that start to their career.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Pauli Pauli will probably get a run in first grade at some point this year at Parra. Zach Dockar-Clay also isn't too far off and could come into the mix if we ever opt for a half/hooker utility from the bench. Both have a few facets of their games that they need to improve on but there is plenty of talent between the two of them.

Beyond those two I have Nathan Davis and Tepai Moeroa pencilled in as near certainties to make the NRL within a year or two. Moeroa is probably fairly well known in this sub-forum but Davis is a talented centre (currently playing fullback) that doesn't lack for size or footy nous.

There are a few more from our NYC roster that might crack first-grade with time and effort such as John Folau, Fabian Goodall and Tepai Tepu-Smith (amongst some others).

Down in the SG Ball there are a few kids that are worth looking out for including Bevan French (Fullback), Michael Doolan (Half), Troy Dargan (Half) and Tyrell Fuimaono (Backrower).

Ryan Matterson

Forty20

First Grade
Yep, Matterson has proven to be something of a revelation this season.

Doing everything right at the moment and he has great size and athleticism to go with his strong skill set.

aqua_duck

Coach
Knights NYC team look very good this year, certainly the best team we've had since the NYC comp began, I think there could be as many as 6 or 7 future 1st graders in that team.

*Jake Mamo-IMO the best player in the NYC comp at the moment or close it anyway, very much a Tedesco/Slater type fullback, not overly big but very fast, sharp footwork, seems to have a habit of being in the right place at he right time and is one of those smaller men who breaks a lot of tackles by transferring speed into power
*Sione Mata'utia-The best outside back prospect to come through the knights junior ranks since Tahu about 14-15 years ago, only 17 and looks a class above.
*Luke Yates-NSW rep at under 16 and under 18 level, not flash but one of those players every team needs.
*Joseph Tapine-Will play first grade this year IMO, athletic prototycal modern day backrower who despite not being overly big is as strong as an ox. Runs great lines and seems to be a real awkward player to tackle, scored 3 tries on the weekend from close range and on every occasion dragged 3 or 4 blokes over the line with him.
*Daniel Levi-New Zealand under 18 rep, creative hooker who I think will develop into a bench utility for us in the future. Most 18 year old hookers are lightly built and can struggle abit defensively, this bloke is a 95kg tank who I think will be a hooker/loose forward hybrid type in the future.
*Pride Petterson Robati-Just recently signed from the storm where he was their NYC player of the year last year despite playing up in age, was with the storm from about 14 years of age since coming over from Wellington. A real aggressive yet skillful backrower who some storm supporters have describe as a young Greg Bird.

Noname36

First Grade
Knights NYC team look very good this year, certainly the best team we've had since the NYC comp began, I think there could be as many as 6 or 7 future 1st graders in that team.

*Jake Mamo-IMO the best player in the NYC comp at the moment or close it anyway, very much a Tedesco/Slater type fullback, not overly big but very fast, sharp footwork, seems to have a habit of being in the right place at he right time and is one of those smaller men who breaks a lot of tackles by transferring speed into power
*Sione Mata'utia-The best outside back prospect to come through the knights junior ranks since Tahu about 14-15 years ago, only 17 and looks a class above.
*Luke Yates-NSW rep at under 16 and under 18 level, not flash but one of those players every team needs.
*Joseph Tapine-Will play first grade this year IMO, athletic prototycal modern day backrower who despite not being overly big is as strong as an ox. Runs great lines and seems to be a real awkward player to tackle, scored 3 tries on the weekend from close range and on every occasion dragged 3 or 4 blokes over the line with him.
*Daniel Levi-New Zealand under 18 rep, creative hooker who I think will develop into a bench utility for us in the future. Most 18 year old hookers are lightly built and can struggle abit defensively, this bloke is a 95kg tank who I think will be a hooker/loose forward hybrid type in the future.
*Pride Petterson Robati-Just recently signed from the storm where he was their NYC player of the year last year despite playing up in age, was with the storm from about 14 years of age since coming over from Wellington. A real aggressive yet skillful backrower who some storm supporters have describe as a young Greg Bird.

This current group remind me of the group when Mullen, Snowden, Uate, Paterson, etc came through. Usually our u20s sides have a couple of classy blokes maybe capable of FG amongst a lot of ordinary ones. This group is strong across the park though and their position on the ladder is showing that.

If some of them kick on we're going to have a few nice headaches in a few years in the backs. In the forwards I reckon Tapine, Pondekas and maybe the kid from the Storm will be pushing for FG spots at some stage which is a good thing because Smith and Scott aren't getting any younger.

I'd add Jaelen Feeny to your list too. Looks like a really good halfback prospect and is a great organiser. If he keeps developing I could see him keeping the pressure on Roberts in a year or so.

Big Pete

Referee
Right?

I thought he'd do well over there. Still think it's a mistake on the Broncos part to release him, would have him over a bunch of ISC prospects we've got there now but that ship has sailed. Mail is he'll be training with the senior squad in the not too distant future, if he isn't already doing so.

Speaking of ISC, Brisbane have promoted the likes of Molo & Paia'Aua so you'd imagine they're closer to receiving their debuts. Molo is a no-brainer and should debut around Origin, Paia'Aua might be a different story since he's so brittle. If Duncan can endure the physicality of playing with and alongside grown men, he'll be a shoe in for the #6 jersey which is virtually vacant and the Broncos can end their silly dual fullbacks experiment.