What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

unforgiven

Bench
Ive been thinking about ANZ the last few days and its apparent lack of character. When thinking about it I realised that the stands there have never had names, I believe this really adds to that intrinsic feel of a stadium and I am surprised that it wasn't done. Not that it would have really helped ANZ's problems.

Now to my point, with Parramatta being the next stadium to be built does anyone have an ideas for potential names of the stands? I think we would be looking at a couple of league identities and a couple of well known soccer players.

Lol
Sure they did ....

You have shown how clueless you are once again.

At the beggining of the year the state government commissioned PWC to engage in stakeholder consultation and put a report together on preferred design elements. It is not exactly a secret that PWC worked much more closely with WSW than with the Eels.

Given that getting any sensible feedback from the Parramatta board would have been like getting blood from a stone, it's hardly surprising.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive been thinking about ANZ the last few days and its apparent lack of character. When thinking about it I realised that the stands there have never had names, I believe this really adds to that intrinsic feel of a stadium and I am surprised that it wasn't done. Not that it would have really helped ANZ's problems.

Now to my point, with Parramatta being the next stadium to be built does anyone have an ideas for potential names of the stands? I think we would be looking at a couple of league identities and a couple of well known soccer players.

Im hoping they call the Stadium itself "Cumberland Stadium" and build in neutral colours...

Parra is a reasonable location for the Tigers once LO/CS become unusable and if a Liverpool Stadium isnt built. Panthers could also use it for the bigger games, but it would be hard to call a Blue-Gold stadium with the same name as a rival "home".

Raiderdave

First Grade
You have shown how clueless you are once again.

At the beggining of the year the state government commissioned PWC to engage in stakeholder consultation and put a report together on preferred design elements. It is not exactly a secret that PWC worked much more closely with WSW than with the Eels.

Given that getting any sensible feedback from the Parramatta board would have been like getting blood from a stone, it's hardly surprising.

It's no secret lol.!!
So they let them sit in on a meeting or 2 & bought them lunch .... Lol
That's not soccer dictating stadium strategy to the NSW govt as some in here have suggested they did.
Our code & the AFL are the only 2 football codes along with cricket that take active roles in Stadia planning in Australia. The other 2 sports do not ;)

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm hoping they call the Stadium itself "Cumberland Stadium" and build in neutral colours...

Parra is a reasonable location for the Tigers once LO/CS become unusable and if a Liverpool Stadium isnt built. Panthers could also use it for the bigger games, but it would be hard to call a Blue-Gold stadium with the same name as a rival "home".

Red and black are 'neutral' colours, and that's the way things seem to be going to me lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well there might be 2 people here who do
But that'd be it.
Soccer will have no say ... none at all in Canberras indoor stadium design. It will be there for them to use of course if they want to... But it will be almost a carbon copy of the Forysth Barr stadium.. built with a clear roof
This design has all but been signed off on.

You're an idiot if you think that the FFA isn't being and hasn't been consulted about the new stadium, one of the main reasons that the stadium was even being discussed in the first place is because a few years back the A-League said that Canberra would be a more attractive place for expansion if it had a new stadium.

The ACT government has been bending over backwards for years trying to get the A-League and BBL to set up shop in Canberra, and just like how Cricket Australia is consulted anytime something happens at Manuka Oval the FFA will be consulted about any possible new rectangular stadium in Canberra.

And no the new stadium will not be a carbon copy of Forsyth Barr stadium, as Forsyth Barr is glass roofed and it gets much hotter in Canberra then it does in Dunedin, especially in summer.

Here are some renders of the most recent concept design for the new stadium, you'll notice that it looks nothing like Forsyth Barr at all-
1410688577837.jpg

1374449635163.jpg

There were a couple of images of the inside of the stadium around somewhere, but I can't find them.

Dogs Of War

Coach
As long as it's protected from elements pretty well (roof over all the seats and no silly allowance for wind to enter from the sides below roof level), I'm sure it won't need a roof. Though a retractable one would be a good idea.

It's no secret lol.!!
So they let them sit in on a meeting or 2 & bought them lunch .... Lol
That's not soccer dictating stadium strategy to the NSW govt as some in here have suggested they did.
Our code & the AFL are the only 2 football codes along with cricket that take active roles in Stadia planning in Australia. The other 2 sports do not ;)

Mate. Please don't.

I completed a thesis on the NSW Stadia Strategy literally 2 weeks ago. I'm currently in the process of putting it in an abridged form for an academic journal on planning policy. For the most part, it's about the attempt to funnel state $$$ into the coffers of the SCSGT. The key research has been about the processes and failures of the stakeholder consultation phase.

I will happily send you a link upon publication. Until then, you know nothing.

Timbo

Staff member
Also, let's just play along with his 'Nobody in Canberra likes sokka LOL' bullshit for a moment;

For the round 2 game between the Raiders and the Roosters, it was about 30 degrees at kickoff. Let's play that in a greenhouse and see how it goes shall we?

Raiderdave

First Grade
You're an idiot if you think that the FFA isn't being and hasn't been consulted about the new stadium, one of the main reasons that the stadium was even being discussed in the first place is because a few years back the A-League said that Canberra would be a more attractive place for expansion if it had a new stadium.

The ACT government has been bending over backwards for years trying to get the A-League and BBL to set up shop in Canberra, and just like how Cricket Australia is consulted anytime something happens at Manuka Oval the FFA will be consulted about any possible new rectangular stadium in Canberra.

And no the new stadium will not be a carbon copy of Forsyth Barr stadium, as Forsyth Barr is glass roofed and it gets much hotter in Canberra then it does in Dunedin, especially in summer.

Here are some renders of the most recent concept design for the new stadium, you'll notice that it looks nothing like Forsyth Barr at all-
1410688577837.jpg

1374449635163.jpg

There were a couple of images of the inside of the stadium around somewhere, but I can't find them.

Another sooker lover
You must be the other one in Canberra.

Consulted
Dictate
Look up the definitions

As for the ACT govt bending over backwards

Lol
Just lol
Sure they have

You have one design there that's not the favoured one.
A clear roofed venue is
End of ;)

Raiderdave

First Grade
Also, let's just play along with his 'Nobody in Canberra likes sokka LOL' bullshit for a moment;

For the round 2 game between the Raiders and the Roosters, it was about 30 degrees at kickoff. Let's play that in a greenhouse and see how it goes shall we?

They'll be played at night dopey. Lol
No day games in March when it's built.

Again.
Shirtlifter ball won't be considered.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Mate. Please don't.

I completed a thesis on the NSW Stadia Strategy literally 2 weeks ago. I'm currently in the process of putting it in an abridged form for an academic journal on planning policy. For the most part, it's about the attempt to funnel state $$$ into the coffers of the SCSGT. The key research has been about the processes and failures of the stakeholder consultation phase.

I will happily send you a link upon publication. Until then, you know nothing.

I look forward to it.
And links of course to soccer driving & influencing stadium strategy in NSW.

Lol
Couldn't keep a straight face writing that last bit

I look forward to it.
And links of course to soccer driving & influencing stadium strategy in NSW.

Lol
Couldn't keep a straight face writing that last bit

Not in the slightest what was being discussed. There's a big difference between strategic plans like the NSWSS and Wanderers input on design and specifications of a specific stadium.

We have been talking about the latter.

There's also a big difference between 'driving' and 'influencing.' Has the FFA been a key driver of stadia strategy in Sydney? No.
Have they had influence? Yes.
Have they had as much influence as the NRL? Not by a f**ken long shot.

I'm sure you don't know any of this but the stakeholder consultation for the Stadia Strategy and John Brogden's subsequent implementation report has run well into the $$$millions over a 3 year period. In the area of $10mil when you include privately commissioned, external reports paid for by the SCSGT and the Olympic Park Trust.

Again. And I can't stress this enough.
You know nothing.

unforgiven

Bench
Im hoping they call the Stadium itself "Cumberland Stadium" and build in neutral colours...

Yeah I actually feel that these types of things are critically important in the feel and personality of a stadium. Its what make stadiums feel like home.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Not in the slightest what was being discussed. There's a big difference between strategic plans like the NSWSS and Wanderers input on design and specifications of a specific stadium.

We have been talking about the latter.

There's also a big difference between 'driving' and 'influencing.' Has the FFA been a key driver of stadia strategy in Sydney? No.
Have they had influence? Yes.
Have they had as much influence as the NRL? Not by a f**ken long shot.

I'm sure you don't know any of this but the stakeholder consultation for the Stadia Strategy and John Brogden's subsequent implementation report has run well into the $$$millions over a 3 year period. In the area of $10mil when you include privately commissioned, external reports paid for by the SCSGT and the Olympic Park Trust.

Again. And I can't stress this enough.
You know nothing.

Then we have different opinions about what was being discussed
I had hooliganball cheerleaders telling me stadia won't be built without sookers direct input which is an absurdity

Influence is a ambiguous term & could mean anything... from a lot to next to nothing.
So I maintain soccer has not driven any stadium strategy or agendas & despite you hopping up on your soap box , it would appear & I can't stress this enough..
your thesis doesn't disprove this.
That's what I Said originally
I'll stick to that.
Cheers.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Another sooker lover
You must be the other one in Canberra.

Nope not a soccer fan at all. I mean I don't hate it, but I don't follow it either.

Consulted
Dictate
Look up the definitions

Nobody said anything about anyone dictating anything, except you that is.

However what you said was that they'd have no influence or input into the design, and that's patently false.

As for the ACT govt bending over backwards

Lol
Just lol
Sure they have

Sure have.

Over the past decade or so they've payed through the nose for Socceroos, A-League and Asian Cup games, done all sorts of things to help them out with soccer in the ACT as well, even payed for some of their school programs to be run in the ACT if I'm remembering correctly.

Sure they haven't bent over as far for the FFA as they have for the AFL and GWS, but still they've been very accommodating to the FFA

You have one design there that's not the favoured one.
A clear roofed venue is
End of ;)

Nope not one design, the design that was going to get built before the whole mister fluffy thing went down.

May have changed the design since, or are planing on changing it, but that was it except with a retractable roof.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I understand the Dunedin stadium has a plastic roof and has open air sections under the roof for ventilation.

f**ks up the goalkickers a bit though.

Latest posts