What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Western Sydney Stadium (Concept & Stage 1 Demolition)

Staged development application for a concept proposal for a new 30,000 seat stadium, comprising:

> building envelopes for future ancillary facilities on Connell Street

> provision of approximately 500 car parking spaces on site, including retention and re-location of existing at grade car-parking for the stadium; and

> demolition of the existing Parramatta Pool and related buildings and structures.

Detailed approval for Stage 1 works is also proposed, comprising: demolition of the existing stadium and related structures;
demolition of the existing pool and related buildings and structures;
and subdivision and enabling infrastructure works.

a maximum total Gross Floor Area (GFA) of approximately 60,000 m2
(excluding the playing pitch) for the
stadium development, including:

additional seating for approximately 10,000 more spectators via provision of a seating bowl with 30,000 seats,
including 27,000 general admission seats and 3,000 corporate seats;

five levels of premium box/terrace, function/lounge offerings and a number of suite offerings;

flood lighting, stadium video screens and other ancillary fittings;

additional facilities for team, media, administration and amenity such as changing rooms, media rooms,
and food and beverage outlets;

- a maximum total GFA of approximately 20,000 m2
for ancillary development within the northern corner of the
Site;

http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.go...ob&job_id=7534

27811582023_599100e456_b.jpg

27811582923_0886b763cb_o.jpg

28144704570_1a16a9735d_b.jpg

Re Canberra stadium

I'm sure the FFA/Aleague would be consulted , the ACT govt are going to want year round usage to justify the expense.

That said they'd be silly to make any major concessions without a firm commitment of a team. But in actuality there isn't much difference between a high quality rugby league ground & a high quality soccer ground.

Lastly though I think the ACT govt would be mad not to look at a retractable roof option , perfect example of a place that would really benefit. It's a Saturday night and 3c outside , imagine instead going to a climate controlled stadium where it's a nice 18c , could significantly boost the crowd.

Timbo

Staff member
A retractable roof is fine, and makes sense. What that guy was talking about was a clear glass one like they have in Dunedin. Which makes no sense at all for Canberra due to the summer heat.

Even without an A-League team, Super Rugby starts at the end of February and NRL in late March. It is still incredibly hot in Canberra at that time of year and unless the roof can be opened it'd be like playing in a sauna.

The downside is that retractable roof stadiums tend to be the most expensive possible design. The ACT Government has already had to delay the build to clean up asbestos, I'm wondering if when they finally come back to it if it won't be a more no-frills design.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm not that fussed really just pointing out McWanderers don't sell out every game.
Do Parra draw more at ANZ or Pirtek? Without ANZ I would imagine the average would be higher.

Id love to know what you base this theory on...

If you take all of their ANZ games above Pirtek capacity and cut them back to 20k, i dont know how you would increase youre average.

I'm not arguing that Wanderers have nothing to do with it, just that they don't sell out every game. Surprised they draw more at ANZ. Reciprocal away fans maybe?

Or better facilities...

In the rain, the roof at Parra is just not up to scratch

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't know why people are so hostile to the notion that other codes success is a factor in NRL grounds getting an upgrade.

Look at the three Sydney stadiums slated for upgrades - all multi tenant stadiums, in the case of Pirtek and the SFS during the regular season as well. And ANZ gets its share of Socceroo and Wallaby tests.

There is a reason that clubs like the Sharks and Eagles have brought up the idea of them being partners in an A-League franchise somewhere down the road. It'd be a lot easier to get more out of the public purse if there were multiple interested parties playing out of a stadium.

Basically the reason why clinging to Suburban grounds is f*cking ludicrous....

Leichhardt might be a lot of fun for the old boys, but even if it got all 12 of of the Tigers games, the government couldnt justify paying for anything up to standard.

Roof?
What bloody sport are we playing?
Table tennis?

Toughen up.

Though your approach is interesting, my gut feeling is that calling people "pussies" and making them sit in icy rain is not a great way to attract fans.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Id love to know what you base this theory on...

If you take all of their ANZ games above Pirtek capacity and cut them back to 20k, i dont know how you would increase youre average.

Or better facilities...

In the rain, the roof at Parra is just not upto scratch

I thought they would get better crowds at Pirtek because it's actually in Paramatta and my personal preference is that Pirtek is a better ground to watch a game at. If Rusty called me up tonight and said I had the deciding vote on where Souths played home games between Pirtek and ANZ it would be Pirtek all day long.

Marlins

Juniors
PNG pleads for stadium expansion
image.ashx

By Tony Webeck, NRL.com
Wed, Jul 20, 2016 - 12:00PM

The National Stadium in Port Moresby may be less than 12 months old but representatives from the Papua New Guinea rugby league will lobby the government for an expansion of the stadium to adequately cater for demand ahead of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

For the first time in 25 years PNG will host three games of the World Cup next year with the Kumuls to play the United States and two of the European qualifiers in games that will send local footy fans into a frenzy.

When the PNG Hunters played their first Intrust Super Cup game at the Sir John Guise Stadium in June last year against Souths Logan the 15,000 capacity was sold out in a matter of days and the Hunters regularly attract crowds to the revamped National Stadium (formerly Lloyd Robson Oval) in excess of 10,000.

When the World Cup draw for the Kumuls was released on Tuesday it wasn't revealed at which of the two stadiums the games would be played but Kumuls and Hunters coach Michael Marum said neither are currently big enough to house the number of fans who will want to attend next year.

"We've had a lot of people turn up for [PNG Hunters] games without tickets due to tickets being all sold out. With the World Cup, 15,000 for our games up there won't be enough for our supporters," Marum told NRL.com.

"There might be a lot of people hanging around outside waiting to get in so that is something that our board and president will probably have to look at.

"They're going to be big games. Everyone is going to be looking forward to coming along from all over PNG to watch those three games in the city.

"Definitely there will be people coming from all over from the islands to come down and get to watch one of those games.

"In past World Cups we have played away from home so this is their chance to come along and support us."

Titans fullback David Mead led the Kumuls to an upset victory over Fiji in the Pacific Test in May and said the prospect of playing a World Cup game in PNG was already one that has him extremely excited.

"To have three games at home is obviously a big boost for the country, not just for the players but for all the people of Papua New Guinea because rugby league is their national sport over there," said Mead.

"It's going to be unbelievable, I can already feel it.

"I played in the 2009 Pacific Test over there and it wasn't even really a stadium, it was just a couple of stands.

"There's a proper stadium there now so the atmosphere's going to be huge.

"People say that when the Hunters play over there that they hear the noise from kilometres away so it's going to be pretty big over there."

On the back of their 24-22 win over Fiji earlier this year the Kumuls moved up three places on the Rugby League International Federation's world rankings but still sit behind the likes of Scotland, USA and Wales in 11th position.

The introduction of the Hunters into Queensland's Intrust Super Cup competition two years ago has given PNG-based players a great springboard into professional rugby league and Marum said the national team received a heroes welcome after their win over Fiji.

"Everyone spoke about the Test match for over a week and there was really big support from everyone back at home," Marum said.

"At the airport the boys turned up and it was like winning a full tournament even though it was only one game."

Papua New Guinea's first game of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup will be against a European qualifier in Port Moresby on Saturday, October 28.

fourplay

Juniors
jtEGgzr.jpg

From today. (I know this is an old design though)

Pretty sure this type of design is mooted for the heat?

The part I like most about that stadium design is that the government consulted with those from lower socio-economic backgrounds to create a design where if you can't afford a ticket you can watch it for free from outside the ground.

Last Week

Bench
What's this business about Ausgrid no longer being sold off? Isn't that how we're getting funding for these stadiums?

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm not arguing that Wanderers have nothing to do with it, just that they don't sell out every game. Surprised they draw more at ANZ. Reciprocal away fans maybe?

They play the Dogs and Souths at ANZ and I believe they had a reciprocal offer through memberships
All games played at ANZ featuring your club, home or away, got you entry to ANZ

Parramatta would get similar number of home fans wether at Pirtek or ANZ because many people travel by train to games from all over the West to watch Parra. It's not just locals. They have a wide spread fan base.

ANZ stadium is right next to the train station making it convenient. There is also a tonne of on site parking.

Pirtek is about 1.5 kilometres from Parramatta station. This might as well be 8,000,000 miles the way some Sydney siders crap on about convenience. In fact from reading fan responses to different stadiums I'm led to believe that 90% of Rugby League fans are either morbidly obese or amputees.

Pommy

Coach
They play the Dogs and Souths at ANZ and I believe they had a reciprocal offer through memberships
All games played at ANZ featuring your club, home or away, got you entry to ANZ

Parramatta would get similar number of home fans wether at Pirtek or ANZ because many people travel by train to games from all over the West to watch Parra. It's not just locals. They have a wide spread fan base.

ANZ stadium is right next to the train station making it convenient. There is also a tonne of on site parking.

Pirtek is about 1.5 kilometres from Parramatta station. This might as well be 8,000,000 miles the way some Sydney siders crap on about convenience. In fact from reading fan responses to different stadiums I'm led to believe that 90% of Rugby League fans are either morbidly obese or amputees.

They play Souths at ANZ? What game did I go and watch at Pirtek then? Lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just hope in all this money being spent Dogs, Souths, Wests and eels all play 75% of their games at the new western Sydney stadium and give ANZ the bird.

Pommy

Coach
I just hope in all this money being spent Dogs, Souths, Wests and eels all play 75% of their games at the new western Sydney stadium and give ANZ the bird.

Didn't teams have to commit to ANZ before they went ahead with the redevelopment.

Latest posts