What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The ACT Government still sticking to its tired line that a new stadium would need three tenants to be commercially viable.

It makes me furious when stadiums like the Townsville one show it not to be true.

There's no way Townsville is viable.

It's getting a stadium because it's in a swing seat, especially federally.

I'm happy for rugby league, don't get me wrong. But the economics of it for the taxpayer is terrible.

I'd argue the Canberra situation may have more to do with the chief minister being an AFL sycophant. That and the ACT govt aren't exactly flush with money.

I'm definitely curious about the business case for that stadium. 12 generally well-attended Cowboys games a year, plus a final or two... what else will it be used for?

As far as Canberra goes, given the Brumbies only play 7-8 home games a year (<10k crowds) it's not surprising they would be looking for a third tenant to make a new stadium viable.

There is no business case. This is classic pork barreling, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Vee

First Grade
There is no business case. This is classic pork barreling, don't let anyone tell you differently.
Locals will tell you that water infrastructure is far more important than a new stadium, as welcome as that is. The other point is that the federal $100M contribution came at the expense of a promised jobs package which went elsewhere in the wake of this announcement. Any guesses how much that package was worth?

beave

Coach
There's no way Townsville is viable.

It's getting a stadium because it's in a swing seat, especially federally.

I'm happy for rugby league, don't get me wrong. But the economics of it for the taxpayer is terrible.

I'd argue the Canberra situation may have more to do with the chief minister being an AFL sycophant. That and the ACT govt aren't exactly flush with money.

Viable?

You really f**king want to argue with a team that has averaged 17k in it's 22 year existence over a team that would barely able to exist other than the fact ita clientelè relies on pokie machines to earn a living??? You've had your fair share of public monies.

Let's not forget In that 22 year period there was quite a few lean perioda for us but hey, you Sydney fans would rather argue over teams crowds that involved fans from 5kms away whereas NQ has zero help to bolster their figures but will still carry the torch for the game regardless.

We've never had a home ground that was worthy of our existence, it's about time we finally got it.

Anyone that argues can go EAD.

Last edited:
Viable?

You really f**king want to argue with a team that has averaged 17k in it's 22 year existence over a team that would barely able to exist other than the fact ita clientelè relies on pokie machines to earn a living??? You've had your fair share of public monies.

Let's not forget In that 22 year period there was quite a few lean perioda for us but hey, you Sydney fans would rather argue over teams crowds that involved fans from 5kms away whereas NQ has zero help to bolster their figures but will still carry the torch for the game regardless.

We've never had a home ground that was worthy of our existence, it's about time we finally got it.

Anyone that argues can go EAD.

You've taken my post in totally the wrong way.

I'm not saying the cowboys don't deserve a stadium, I'm saying that the business case for a $300m stadium for one team is terrible economics. Terrible ROI for taxpayers.

Most stadiums are, but single use stadiums are even worse.

Honestly I'm happy for the cowboys and rugby league to get the stadium, just pointing out the economics of it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'll love it beave, nib stadium used to be very similiar stands to cowboys stadium, the refurb they did makes the game day experience one hundred times better with great viewing angles, right on top of action and a big stand that gets buzzing. Look forward to visiting one day to see it.

Locals will tell you that water infrastructure is far more important than a new stadium, as welcome as that is. The other point is that the federal $100M contribution came at the expense of a promised jobs package which went elsewhere in the wake of this announcement. Any guesses how much that package was worth?

Exactly.

I'm happy from a rugby league perspective but from a taxpayer perspective this is not a good use of money. But sport is a powerful voice.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'm not saying the cowboys don't deserve a stadium, I'm saying that the business case for a $300m stadium for one team is terrible economics. Terrible ROI for taxpayers.

Honestly I'm happy for the cowboys and rugby league to get the stadium, just pointing out the economics of it.

tbf stadiums are about a cities positioning, not good business cases. I'd suggest there are very few stadiums that return a good ROI. Anz must cost nsw taxpayers a mint when they pay clubs $150k to play there and 6,000 turn up like tonight and last night.

Perth is spending $1.2bill on its new stadium. It would take about 150 years to return that investment lol

I made the same economic case for Parramatta stadium. $300m spend for a stadium built for only 2 teams. Other NRL clubs will be reluctant to use it as its in another's teams territory. I mean it's just around the corner from Parra leagues.

Should've been built in a more neutral area to attract 1 or 2 more NRL clubs.

tbf stadiums are about a cities positioning, not good business cases. I'd suggest there are very few stadiums that return a good ROI. Anz must cost nsw taxpayers a mint when they pay clubs $150k to play there and 6,000 turn up like tonight and last night.

Perth is spending $1.2bill on its new stadium. It would take about 150 years to return that investment lol

Absolutely. But the less teams the worse the economics.

ANZ has actually been profitable the last few years. Not against its building costs but still not bad for a stadium. Been making around $10m a year. Obviously there are other economic benefits though.

hutch

First Grade
Will the new Townsville stadium be closer to the town centre? From memory the current one is out of town a bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I made the same economic case for Parramatta stadium. $300m spend for a stadium built for only 2 teams. Other NRL clubs will be reluctant to use it as its in another's teams territory. I mean it's just around the corner from Parra leagues.

No the nrl should have got the stadium agreement through with clubs and had Bulldogs and Wests playing out of it as well, with Souths at Allianz and a blockbuster double header at anz every week. Sadly club self interest and nrl sht manageme stopped it.

No the nrl should have got the stadium agreement through with clubs and had Bulldogs and Wests playing out of it as well, with Souths at Allianz and a blockbuster double header at anz every week. Sadly club self interest and nrl sht manageme stopped it.

If the clubs came together for neutral territory then I mostly agree.

But there was no way the clubs were going to agree to play in Parramatta.

Souths though are no longer exclusively a southern Sydney team, Olympic park or somewhere close to there makes a heap more sense for them. The demographics of inner southern Sydney just aren't there.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

You would think reds and roar would take some game to Townsville

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If the clubs came together for neutral territory then I mostly agree.

But there was no way the clubs were going to agree to play in Parramatta.

Souths though are no longer exclusively a southern Sydney team, Olympic park or somewhere close to there makes a heap more sense for them. The demographics of inner southern Sydney just aren't there.

I reckon tigers will play some home games form Parra in next 5 years

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Given Balmain Leagues is dead and aint likely to come back, Wests could ditch Leichhardt (inevitable, sooner or later) and jump in bed with Wentworths Leagues or someone else in the West, and make Parra stadium worth their time.

I doubt Wests Ashfield are super keen to take the full bill of the Tigs...

taipan

Referee
Given Balmain Leagues is dead and aint likely to come back, Wests could ditch Leichhardt (inevitable, sooner or later) and jump in bed with Wentworths Leagues or someone else in the West, and make Parra stadium worth their time.

I doubt Wests Ashfield are super keen to take the full bill of the Tigs...

Long term for the Tigers, is a Campbelltown 20,000 seat stadium, to cater for the fast growing south west and the 2nd airport.