What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
Be interesting to see what the ARU and FFA have to say. Surely they'd want more than 30,000 for internationals.

Be interesting to see what the ARU and FFA have to say. Surely they'd want more than 30,000 for internationals.

Article the other day said the ARU wouldn't want anything below 40k.

Not sure on FFA but I think they're more invested in ANZ stadium. They can play their smaller internationals in a heap of cities.

30k is too small though when you take members & corporate into account, would need to be 35k I think.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It's funny people are very quick to say how bad the Nrl CEO, commission are going on nearly every issue but even when they should get praise People still try to bash them.

Good on Greenberg the other day about the refs and good on him for standing up to the government officials and scg trust. We need a 70-80 k state of the art, rectangle stadium. Anything less is a slap in the face. We need it for our marquee events and for future fans to enjoy. Hope gallop ffa stays strong and backs our propsal.

The scg trust will of course argue for the biggest stadium they can get. But what is practical would be a 35/40k stadium with a extra 10,20k development option.

Well done Greenberg. Stick to your guns and deliver us a brilliant ANZ.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/60f4b662f543c49bb342aeae7f79f4b4

NSW dithering on stadium deal threatens NRL grand final plan

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM September 15, 2017
  • Brent Read
The Queensland and Victorian governments have put the blowtorch to their NSW counterparts after it emerged NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg had reminded NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian that the right to host the grand final for 20 years in Sydney was contingent on ANZ Stadium receiving a major facelift.

Under the terms of the memorandum of understanding struck between the NRL and the NSW government when the stadium strategy was announced nearly two years ago, the grand finals are due to be held in Sydney for the 20 years following the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium.

At least two and as many as four grand finals were expected to be taken on the road while ANZ Stadium was undergoing major renovations. However, the NSW government continues to vacillate over its plans for the stadium, placing in jeopardy the agreement it has struck with the NRL.

That could place in doubt the deal to host grand finals for 20 years in Sydney. It is understood Berejiklian asked for some clarity around the memorandum of understanding at a recent meeting with Greenberg to discuss the plans for Sydney stadiums.

Greenberg is believed to have told the Premier that all three stadiums — ANZ, Allianz and Parramatta — needed to be upgraded in return for a guarantee that grand finals and State of Origin matches would remain in Sydney for two decades.

A spokesman for the NRL yesterday confirmed that the MOU required work on all three stadiums to be delivered in return for a guarantee on taking games to the Olympic venue. At the heart of that agreement is an acknowledgment that ANZ Stadium should be turned into a world-class rectangular arena.

“We look forward to seeing the MOU delivered in full,” the spokesman said.

The Queensland and Victorian governments are waiting in the wings should their NSW counterparts fail to honour their agreement. Their desire to step in comes after a weekend when the finals opened to shoddy crowds in Sydney. Fewer than 20,000 people attended two of the finals.

More than 20,000 attended the Melbourne Storm’s opening final against the Eels and a crowd in excess of 40,000 could be on hand for tonight’s finals game between Brisbane and Penrith at Suncorp Stadium.

Little wonder the NRL has raised the prospect of reducing the capacity at a rebuilt Allianz Stadium to less than 40,000, a move that would allow the state government to devote more money to ensuring ANZ Stadium is turned into a truly world-class venue.

Allianz Stadium’s current tenants — it is also used by the NSW Waratahs and Sydney FC — are expected to meet again next month as they look to find a uniform stance on the venue’s future.

However, the NRL is ready to push for a strategy that would result in Allianz Stadium becoming a boutique venue of the type that can be found in Melbourne at AAMI Park and on the Gold Coast at Cbus Super Stadium.

The new Townsville stadium will be a similar size but shapes as a possible State of Origin venue because there will be a limit on members’ seating. The same situation could happen at Allianz, provided members are capped at 5000.

Queensland remains bullish about its ability to host a grand final and Tourism and Major Events Minister Kate Jones was more than happy to fire a shot across the bow of the NSW government yesterday.

“Just like their performance on the footy field, this is another example of NSW — all talk and no action,” Jones said.

“Queensland has made it clear we would love a grand final here at Suncorp Stadium. The NRL knows that a grand final in Queensland would be a massive success.

“We have the most diehard footy fans here in Queensland and NSW needs to get its act together. Queensland deserves to host footy grand finals here.”

The Victorian government has also weighed in.

“While NSW talks about the future and plays catch-up, we’re building for it in Victoria, because no one puts on a show like we do,” Victoria Tourism and Major Events MInister John Eren said.

“Our friends across the border had to travel to Melbourne to see what a sellout State of Origin crowd looked like — and we’d happily do it again come NRL grand final day.”

siv

First Grade
Even when the Waratahs are having a strong season 35k would be enough.

I actually think Aleague would be down lower than NRL for members.

Soccer WC has a 8 stadium 40k minimum requirement. SFS would be assumed as one of the Australian 8 stadiums. So expansion to 40k option in theory should be a future requirement option for all stadiums

Soccer WC has a 8 stadium 40k minimum requirement. SFS would be assumed as one of the Australian 8 stadiums. So expansion to 40k option in theory should be a future requirement option for all stadiums

Yeah I think that's a pretty easy provision to make. Pretty sure that's an option for AAMI park as well.

Given though we likely wouldn't host a World Cup until the 2040's or later it's probably not a major issue having the stadium as 40k anytime soon.

Timbo

Staff member
That's the same logic that has us tethered to the mystical 80k capacity.

The odds of us getting the event in the next 25 years are virtually nil. Even if the FFA was keen to have another crack I doubt the government would be interested after we threw $30 million down the drain last time after Russia and Qatar were able to offer better 'incentives' to FIFA.

Also, from what I understand about AAMI Park whilst the foundations were built to allow it to expand, the design of the roof makes any expansion virtually impossible without a total rebuild of the exterior.

It should not be a consideration when building new stadia. The best result for league, union and local soccer should be the concern.

moffla

Bench
Also, from what I understand about AAMI Park whilst the foundations were built to allow it to expand, the design of the roof makes any expansion virtually impossible without a total rebuild of the exterior.

Bingo. We will never see AAMI expand purely because the costs aren't worth it. Would be better of spending a bit more and building something brand new

Bingo. We will never see AAMI expand purely because the costs aren't worth it. Would be better of spending a bit more and building something brand new

Given the timeline of a possible World Cup it would likely be considered antiquated by then anyway.

Certainly outside of a World Cup aami is the perfect size & as @Timbo said we need to cater to local audiences first.

But I see no issue with allowing for a provision to expand the new SFS.

Agree. It was initially going to be 23,000 too. I believe a push from Melbourne Victory got it to 30k which for now is perfect.

Would be nice if the storm had access to a bigger ground for their finals matches though. Particularly a preliminary final. Not sure where their access stands to docklands given the AFL now own it.

moffla

Bench
Would be nice if the storm had access to a bigger ground for their finals matches though. Particularly a preliminary final. Not sure where their access stands to docklands given the AFL now own it.
We would still be welcome to use docklands. AFL own it, but would make money off our use.
Personally I'm very happy we've opted to play finals at AAMI even though we'd get a larger crowd at Etihad. The place is a bit of a dump with no real atmosphere

We would still be welcome to use docklands. AFL own it, but would make money off our use.
Personally I'm very happy we've opted to play finals at AAMI even though we'd get a larger crowd at Etihad. The place is a bit of a dump with no real atmosphere

I get that it's pretty poor but just feel you're in the market where any opportunity for growth needs to be grabbed.

To me a preliminary final deserves a bigger stage than 30k as well.

moffla

Bench
I get that it's pretty poor but just feel you're in the market where any opportunity for growth needs to be grabbed.

To me a preliminary final deserves a bigger stage than 30k as well.

True - but in saying that, I have taken friends to storm games and many have decided to return because of the atmosphere and game day. Some have event gone on to purchase memberships.
While you can probably get another 5k in at Etihad, it wouldn't have the same long term effect if their match day experience is average.

True - but in saying that, I have taken friends to storm games and many have decided to return because of the atmosphere and game day. Some have event gone on to purchase memberships.
While you can probably get another 5k in at Etihad, it wouldn't have the same long term effect if their match day experience is average.

Yeah I guess I'm talking a position where 40k+ would be attainable. If not probably best to stick to AAMI.

Timbo

Staff member
Well, you still have the ability to bump-in the lower deck at Docklands which drops the capacity to 48,000.

It's not ideal, but it gives you a best of both worlds ability.

Having said that, if they didn't do that in Round 26 when there was no other football on in Melbourne that weekend, or Week 1 of the finals, it makes you wonder when they'd ever do it?

Well, you still have the ability to bump-in the lower deck at Docklands which drops the capacity to 48,000.

It's not ideal, but it gives you a best of both worlds ability.

Having said that, if they didn't do that in Round 26 when there was no other football on in Melbourne that weekend, or Week 1 of the finals, it makes you wonder when they'd ever do it?

I wonder if the AFL would want the bottom stands coming in? Potential to damage the grass.

I would hope Melbourne reach a point where getting 40-50k for a preliminary final is standard.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Good stuff! Cant wait to see it full of Cowboys fans. Should get them back towards the 20k they enjoyed early days.

Just Canberra now and that's the non Sydney teams sorted.

need to pop a stand at mt smart to the left of camera where theres an ugly hill atm , getting its capacity up to near 30K all seated
then

we're done !