What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
Is the concept behind the open end to the stadium to allow for air flow for the heat?

Yeah i believe so mate.

The original plan was meant to have an indoor entertainment centre attatched to the stadium as well (like Wollongong) so they could use common kitchens/structures to try and save on cost. The current enterainment centre up there is very ordinary but the cash just isn't there. I'd say the northern end of the stadium has also been left 'open' to allow for further development later on down the track.

I actually like that they've left a bit of a hill at the new joint. At least people with a lower budget can still attend games. There's not a lot of good vision of what the nother part actually looks like. Some renders look to show concrete steps with grass at the top.

Yeah i believe so mate.

The original plan was meant to have an indoor entertainment centre attatched to the stadium as well (like Wollongong) so they could use common kitchens/structures to try and save on cost. The current enterainment centre up there is very ordinary but the cash just isn't there. I'd say the northern end of the stadium has also been left 'open' to allow for further development later on down the track.

I actually like that they've left a bit of a hill at the new joint. At least people with a lower budget can still attend games. There's not a lot of good vision of what the nother part actually looks like. Some renders look to show concrete steps with grass at the top.

I think the design looks fantastic.

If possible it's nice to put a unique touch on a public asset, far too many are bland these days.

beave

Coach
Agreed. The GC stadium is fantastic but has a very much 'Ikea flat pack' feel to it. This thing looks to be a bit different being that Pandanus Palm inspired roof going on is very different. It will also have to be cyclone proof so that will lead to some extra design elements as well.

I just hope it has a a western style theme going on at some areas so that it feels like 'our home'. The stat gov refused to let us name any of the stands at 1300 for fear of insulting other codes/users..... umm, we're the only tenant at this stage and tbh I dont think soccer will really care if they ever put a team back up there. We have a members bar currently behind the Western stand at 1300's, would love to see that be maintained at the new one, tbh its the only thing at the current stadium that makes it look like we are tenants of the stadium.

beave

Coach
Yeah agreed.

I hope they put a statue out front like they have at Suncorp, this pose/moment would be my pick that they need to capture

johnathan-thurston-drop-goal-north-queensland-cowboys-nrl-grand-final_3359328.jpg

Timbo

Staff member
We share Bruce with the Brumbies, we got to name one side, they named the other side.

Don't see the major problem - name one stand the Thurston stand etc just leave a few areas unnamed in case of future tenants.

Vee

First Grade
We share Bruce with the Brumbies, we got to name one side, they named the other side.

Don't see the major problem - name one stand the Thurston stand etc just leave a few areas unnamed in case of future tenants.
You're talking about the Qld government here. Plenty down there bag the NSW government but our mob's ineptitude is on a whole other level. And that's not just Labor, the only reason they are in power is that the Qld LNP is even worse.

I've heard stories that when Parramatta Stadium re-opens, the stand names will be "multiple", e.g. the "Ray Price Stand" when the Eels play there, but a different name altogether when the Wanderers play there so as to not offend the other code and vice versa. Sad if true.

I've heard stories that when Parramatta Stadium re-opens, the stand names will be "multiple", e.g. the "Ray Price Stand" when the Eels play there, but a different name altogether when the Wanderers play there so as to not offend the other code and vice versa. Sad if true.

Wanderers were already covering up Parramatta stand names before it got torn down.

It's absolutely pathetic.

Eels only preceded them by 60 odd years..

gallagher

Juniors
Yeah one stand can be the JT stand.

We could name a food court in honour of Carl Webb.......

Or a toilet block in honour of Michael Bani.
Glen Morrison has the dunny named after him at Leichhardt. Could he be worthy of the same up there? Is he worthy of the dual honour?

beave

Coach
Nah Morro was good for us mate. He stuck through 2 contracts and only left because he wanted to try and get an origin jersey and felt Parra were a better option to achieve that. NQ fans have nothing but respect for him. I know Tigers fans are the opposite and respect their opinion.

Suitman

Post Whore
Wanderers were already covering up Parramatta stand names before it got torn down.

It's absolutely pathetic.

Eels only preceded them by 60 odd years..

I respectfully disagree.

The Eels don't own Parramatta Stadium, they lease it from the govt.
As do the Wanderers.
Surely it is within the Wanderers rights to turn the stadium red and black on game day just as the Eels turn it blue and gold?
On Parramatta home game days, there are Eels flags up on the flags poles outside the stadium and there is Blue and Gold everywhere.
On Wanderers game days, there are Wanderers flags, and Red and black everywhere.
All the Wanderers are doing is personalising the stadium for game day just as the Eels do.
I don't have a problem with it tbh. The same will happen with the new Western Sydney Stadium when LED's will light up the stadium in the appropriate home team's colours.
It's a government facility and I think it makes sense for the home fans of each team who lease the stadium.

**Disclaimer - I follow and attend matches from both teams.

Reactions: Vee
I respectfully disagree.

As do the Wanderers.
Surely it is within the Wanderers rights to turn the stadium red and black on game day just as the Eels turn it blue and gold?
On Parramatta home game days, there are Eels flags up on the flags poles outside the stadium and there is Blue and Gold everywhere.
On Wanderers game days, there are Wanderers flags, and Red and black everywhere.
All the Wanderers are doing is personalising the stadium for game day just as the Eels do.
I don't have a problem with it tbh. The same will happen with the new Western Sydney Stadium when LED's will light up the stadium in the appropriate home team's colours.
It's a government facility and I think it makes sense for the home fans of each team who lease the stadium.

Turn it red & black for sure but don't cover up a stand names & statues.

Ray Price is an Australian sporting legend, he deserves much more respect than that. As does Cronin & Thornett.

The swans don't cover up the Clive Churchill or Messenger stands. Just like Price they're sporting legends and no one would dare do it.

Sydney FC don't cover up the statues outside the SFS.

Reckon Brisbane roar would dare cover up the statue of Wally? Not on your life.

Lack of class changing names & covering statues.

I respectfully disagree.

As do the Wanderers.

Flags and how they are flown is one thing, Covering up stand names which were there for 20 odd years before the Wanderers came along is just dumb. It would be like a non-cricket team hiring the SCG and covering up the names of the Bradman, M A Noble and Bill O'Reilly Stands when they use it solely because they were players in another code.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Wanderers don't cover up Ray Price's statue.
And they just put the sign " Wanderland" on the stands.
As I said, I'm a life long Eels fan and I'm not offended by it.
Each to their own I suppose

The Wanderers don't cover up Ray Price's statue.
And they just put the sign " Wanderland" on the stands.
As I said, I'm a life long Eels fan and I'm not offended by it.
Each to their own I suppose

Someone did suggest covering up the price statue though, I couldn't even believe someone would do that. Price was offended & rightly so.

But yeah, covering up the Cronin & Thornett names is disrespectful. Is it done anywhere else? I've certainly never heard of it.

Why can't they put up 'wanderland' name somewhere else?

Suitman

Post Whore
As I said........each to their own.
I'm not going to argue about it.
My opinion is that it isn't disrespectful.