What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

fourplay

Juniors
Was flicking channels and saw French rugby union being played at this Altrad Stadium and got stadium envy. I think it's better viewing when the seating is raised so the first row is well above ground level. It sure beats designs like Robina.

Behind the posts:
maxresdefault.jpg

Main
stade-yves-du-manoir.jpg

Robina for Comparison
skilled_park1.jpg

unforgiven

Bench
Was flicking channels and saw French rugby union being played at this Altrad Stadium and got stadium envy. I think it's better viewing when the seating is raised so the first row is well above ground level. It sure beats designs like Robina.

Behind the posts:
maxresdefault.jpg

Main
stade-yves-du-manoir.jpg

Robina for Comparison
skilled_park1.jpg

There is something about that that makes me feel a disconnect to the game, I think its the parts that you like lol. I don't like the clear barrier between the crowd and the playing field, I also don't like the stadiums with a moat around the field either. That all may be a personal preference that I have but something about it just feels off to me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/eae810ff916ddcaa2adb621288fd0543

Sydney could lose major concerts and sports matches

ANNA CALDWELL, The Daily Telegraph
November 7, 2017 11:00pm

FORMER premier Morris Iemma has warned Sydney could lose major concerts and sports matches — declaring that without world-class stadiums the city does not have a “divine right” to host top events.

As the Berejiklian Cabinet prepares to consider an ambitious plan to rebuild Sydney’s Allianz Stadium and Olympic Park’s ANZ, Mr Iemma, who now consults for the Greater Sydney Commission, said the state could not afford to waste time bickering over the job, with the city’s status as a true global events city at risk unless both venues are dramatically upgraded.

Despite Gladys Berejiklian revealing in The Daily Telegraph in August she would support a dual upgrade, there has been some doubt among government MPs over the cost of the project and division over which stadium should be a priority.

“The harsh cold reality is that both precincts are at the time in their life that they won’t remain relevant if they aren’t updated,” Mr Iemma told The Daily Telegraph in an interview.

He said the state was at a do or die turning point to rescue the stadiums and there was no time to delay.

He pointed to Perth as a city that could wrest events from Sydney, saying its new 60,000 seat stadium could lure big acts, conventions and matches. “We don’t have a divine right to have big matches or concerts at Moore Park or Olympic Park,” he said.

“If another city puts a better venue on the table those events will act on it.

“If we are to continue to attract events — this isn’t just about sport — it’s about getting events, conferences, conventions, shows, exhibitions and concerts that drive jobs, revenue, tourism and business, both stadiums must be moved on.”

Mr Iemma also revealed that when he was sports minister in 2002, he received briefings that ANZ would need up to $200 million in upgrades within a decade.

“This was for public amenities — toilets, paths, ramps, public spaces. That time has come and gone by five years,” he said.

It was still unclear last night whether Sports Minister Stuart Ayres’s proposal to rebuild both stadiums would go to cabinet this week, with senior sources saying the plan was still developing.

Some including Treasurer Dominic Perrottet have questioned the size of the spend on the project, which could stretch past $1.8 billion, as the NRL lobbies the government to prioritise ANZ. It is understood Mr Ayres’s current plan was to move on Allianz Stadium first and start an ANZ rebuild by 2019.

Failure to move on Allianz before the next election risks its rebuild entirely, with Labor Leader Luke Foley prioritising an ANZ regeneration and questioning the spend. Mr Iemma disputed his Labor colleague’s views, saying it was “the biggest mistake anyone on either side of politics could make” to write off Moore Park.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/eae810ff916ddcaa2adb621288fd0543

Sydney could lose major concerts and sports matches

ANNA CALDWELL, The Daily Telegraph
November 7, 2017 11:00pm

FORMER premier Morris Iemma has warned Sydney could lose major concerts and sports matches — declaring that without world-class stadiums the city does not have a “divine right” to host top events.

As the Berejiklian Cabinet prepares to consider an ambitious plan to rebuild Sydney’s Allianz Stadium and Olympic Park’s ANZ, Mr Iemma, who now consults for the Greater Sydney Commission, said the state could not afford to waste time bickering over the job, with the city’s status as a true global events city at risk unless both venues are dramatically upgraded.

Despite Gladys Berejiklian revealing in The Daily Telegraph in August she would support a dual upgrade, there has been some doubt among government MPs over the cost of the project and division over which stadium should be a priority.

“The harsh cold reality is that both precincts are at the time in their life that they won’t remain relevant if they aren’t updated,” Mr Iemma told The Daily Telegraph in an interview.

He said the state was at a do or die turning point to rescue the stadiums and there was no time to delay.

He pointed to Perth as a city that could wrest events from Sydney, saying its new 60,000 seat stadium could lure big acts, conventions and matches. “We don’t have a divine right to have big matches or concerts at Moore Park or Olympic Park,” he said.

“If another city puts a better venue on the table those events will act on it.

“If we are to continue to attract events — this isn’t just about sport — it’s about getting events, conferences, conventions, shows, exhibitions and concerts that drive jobs, revenue, tourism and business, both stadiums must be moved on.”

Mr Iemma also revealed that when he was sports minister in 2002, he received briefings that ANZ would need up to $200 million in upgrades within a decade.

“This was for public amenities — toilets, paths, ramps, public spaces. That time has come and gone by five years,” he said.

It was still unclear last night whether Sports Minister Stuart Ayres’s proposal to rebuild both stadiums would go to cabinet this week, with senior sources saying the plan was still developing.

Some including Treasurer Dominic Perrottet have questioned the size of the spend on the project, which could stretch past $1.8 billion, as the NRL lobbies the government to prioritise ANZ. It is understood Mr Ayres’s current plan was to move on Allianz Stadium first and start an ANZ rebuild by 2019.

Failure to move on Allianz before the next election risks its rebuild entirely, with Labor Leader Luke Foley prioritising an ANZ regeneration and questioning the spend. Mr Iemma disputed his Labor colleague’s views, saying it was “the biggest mistake anyone on either side of politics could make” to write off Moore Park.

So if all these articles are true... the nsw gov wants Allianz built first and to start next year. Which would force the Nrl to relocate 15 odd games already locked in, to other venues. As well as guarantee more Gfs to Sydney? Riiiigght. Are they on drugs?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
NRL should buy ANZ Stadium
Yeah, with the $2.50 they have in the bank at the moment.....
With what?

I have said this quite a few pages back. It shouldn’t be ruled out. Obviously it would be massive for the Nrl.

Now the Nrl could either buy it for a peppercorn lease (40-50yr) or outright (which is extremely unlikely and a lot more expensive upfront) the nsw gov bought it back recently for $250mil. If the nsw gov is going to foot the bill for a $1.3bil brand new stadium surely the Nrl would be smart to offer some funds to lessen the gov costs in exchange for ownership? Considering 90% use will be from rugby league. This would be highly unlikely but having a asset like that would be a game changer.

Suitman

Post Whore
Why can't we just build something like this - 61000 capacity - with a roof, at Homebush? Maybe a bit larger for the big events? Possibly 70000. This is Real Betis's stadium in Spain.

The AFL have the SCG and Spotless. Enough for their needs. So they can f**k off. The SCG Trust just needs to upgrade Allianz. Not a full rebuild. It's an easy solution and problem solved.

Sydney deserves and SHOULD HAVE a decent rectangular stadium.

DMM1JGRXkAAKzBo.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So if all these articles are true... the nsw gov wants Allianz built first and to start next year. Which would force the Nrl to relocate 15 odd games already locked in, to other venues. As well as guarantee more Gfs to Sydney? Riiiigght. Are they on drugs?

Yeh, after coming to an agreement, it looks like the gov want to change a few thing (and all for their own benefit, of course)

And, obviously, the NRL are just meant to accept it like good little bitches...

siv

First Grade
I have said this quite a few pages back. It shouldn’t be ruled out. Obviously it would be massive for the Nrl.

Now the Nrl could either buy it for a peppercorn lease (40-50yr) or outright (which is extremely unlikely and a lot more expensive upfront) the nsw gov bought it back recently for $250mil. If the nsw gov is going to foot the bill for a $1.3bil brand new stadium surely the Nrl would be smart to offer some funds to lessen the gov costs in exchange for ownership? Considering 90% use will be from rugby league. This would be highly unlikely but having a asset like that would be a game changer.

Buy it for $250 mil

Then use the English model to renovate it 25% at a time

Also all of years gate receipts for RL Soccer and RU become direct cash for the NRL

$250 mil would be a bargin

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Yeh, after coming to an agreement, it looks like the gov want to change a few thing (and all for their own benefit, of course)

And, obviously, the NRL are just meant to accept it like good little bitches...

At the end of the day the nsw gov of the time agreed to rebuild Anz first with x amount of games, 20 x gfs and $40mil in CoE grants. Any deviation from that and the nsw gov needs to pony up $$. Greenberg needs to hold them to that. I think it will come down to how well Greenberg can negotiate. If the premier and Ayres don’t come to the table for the Nrl the nsw gov could potentially rebuild Allianz and Anz and still not get a gf. They could even be forced to pay for it. I believe that would cripple the nsw gov chances of re-election.

What would/should the Nrl accept if Allianz gets built first?

How come there hasn’t been an article about Ayres neglecting Western Sydney people and promoting a city stadium instead of Anz?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Buy it for $250 mil

Then use the English model to renovate it 25% at a time

Also all of years gate receipts for RL Soccer and RU become direct cash for the NRL

$250 mil would be a bargin

I would think a lot less than $250 mil. More like $100 mil. From media reports the scg trust are likely to tip in just $50 mil for a new Allianz.

siv

First Grade
Interesting development across the road from ANZ Ovation development

Housing plus footy fields

Behind the posts:
maxresdefault.jpg

Main
stade-yves-du-manoir.jpg

Robina for Comparison
skilled_park1.jpg

It’s weird we’ve taken so long to get better stand angles, we’re improving but as your pictures show we’ve still got a bit to go.

That said I wouldn’t say Robina is a bad stadium, still pretty good.