What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Exsilium

First Grade
A retracting roof offers versatility.

Slightly off topic but relevant all the same, I see the value in having a retractable roof. Not only for the attraction of sporting, music or corporate events but the ability to obtain game day vendors, services and attractions which would otherwise steer clear of corporate level events due to the cost of getting a spot or taking a chance and the losses experienced when events are not filling up due to weather.

Raiderdave

First Grade
again
as long as its still ANZ first , then yeah , put a roof on it by all means
if thats what they're offering to get the scg trust what they want though , well they can get stuffed !!

some11

Referee
That's what the field is referred to in the proposal:

Seats are too far away from the field - here's what was proposed:

F4O2Lyc.png
LibXvlJ.png

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
So this article says the nsw gov are going to knock down and rebuild Allianz as a 45k stadium for $700mil. Seems quite a lot considering parramatta is 30k for $300-350m. Anz $1.1bil $75k with a roof? And the Nrl are happy with that? I highly doubt it. Let’s hope a Nrl leaked article comes out in the next couple days. A world class stadium is what $1.1 mil gives you. If Anz is built first you also get 20 yrs of gfs. If you build Allianz first you won’t get 20yrs of gfs. Simples

taipan

Referee
If Allianz is built first the SCG Trust(Shepherd/GWS and AFL hold sway,they get to use ANZ til 2021 if they have semis.
If I was Greenberg I'd be telling the Govt see ya later for a few years ,G/F time.

beave

Coach
So this article says the nsw gov are going to knock down and rebuild Allianz as a 45k stadium for $700mil. Seems quite a lot considering parramatta is 30k for $300-350m. Anz $1.1bil $75k with a roof? And the Nrl are happy with that? I highly doubt it. Let’s hope a Nrl leaked article comes out in the next couple days. A world class stadium is what $1.1 mil gives you. If Anz is built first you also get 20 yrs of gfs. If you build Allianz first you won’t get 20yrs of gfs. Simples

This post makes baby jesus cry.

thorson1987

Coach
Good question.

I suppose it comes down to if they can grow the grass well enough with existing technologies? But there are other stadiums with permanently closed roofs

This place has it right, although the roof is retractable.

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/stadiums/university-of-phoenix-stadium/

The retractable roof at the University of Phoenix Stadium is comprised of two 180-feet long by 240-feet wide retractable panels that close to allow for air conditioning during the hot summer months and open during the cooler months to take advantage of the Valley’s abundant sunshine. The fabric roof allows light to fill the stadium and provides an open, airy feel even when the roof panels are closed. The roof system is designed to open or close in approximately 12 minutes. University of Phoenix Stadium features a unique rollout natural-grass playing field, contained in a single tray measuring 234 feet wide by 403 feet long and weighing a hefty 18.9 million pounds. It is the first completely retractable field in North America. The field is positioned inside the stadium on game days to offer the preferred natural-grass playing surface for football and outside the stadium the remaining 350+ days of the year to receive the needed sunlight and water to grow. A total of 462 steel wheels, riding on 13 parallel steel rails are used to slide the field tray in and out of the facility.

thorson1987

Coach
For me personally I don't mind a retractable roof, provided they don't use it for NRL.

The sport is meant to be played in the elements.

macavity

Referee
well it again shows what ayres is prepared to do , to appease his cronies at the scg trust
spending an extra few hundred million of tax payers money on a roof to get allianz done first
its obscene
tell him & the nsw govt to get f**ked
its homebush first , now do it

Word is they are pulling funding from Newcastle's centre of excellence (which Wests was matching, and which was to be a community asset for all of northern NSW across a multitude of sports) to "invest" it in placating the SCG trust.

The rest of the state really needs to leave NSW, the state govt. only cares about Sydney.

macavity

Referee

And Newcastle was 35k for $50mil... plus Parra's hand me down big screen.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Word is they are pulling funding from Newcastle's centre of excellence (which Wests was matching, and which was to be a community asset for all of northern NSW across a multitude of sports) to "invest" it in placating the SCG trust.

The rest of the state really needs to leave NSW, the state govt. only cares about Sydney.

Word is?? You have a article stating this fact or are you on the West board? Now if funding was agreed to and now the gov pulls out well the Nrl/Newcastle should be pissed off at that. Should add to the list of demands over stadium funding.

And Newcastle was 35k for $50mil... plus Parra's hand me down big screen.

An article i just read said $100mil for the 2 stands. Someone’s telling a fib?

macavity

Referee
Word is?? You have a article stating this fact or are you on the West board? Now if funding was agreed to and now the gov pulls out well the Nrl/Newcastle should be pissed off at that. Should add to the list of demands over stadium funding.

Funding was "all but" agreed to, but not yet announced. It was part of Wests assuming ownership that it was a fait accompli... that changed.

An article i just read said $100mil for the 2 stands. Someone’s telling a fib?

Apologies, there were 2 stages. Even if it was $100mil, still a third of the Parra build...

At any rate, no need to get pissy.

Or $1.6B for MetLife, or $1.5B for MB in Atlanta, 1.2B for Jerry world, or $1.3 for Levis, $1.1B for US Bank. US construction costs are a joke!!!!!!

Not all places are built equal.

Those American stadiums have a lot of bells & whistles though, a heap really.

The the whole game day experience is a much bigger thing there.

Really we need to focus on quality viewing angles the most, anything else is gravy.

Latest posts