What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

carcharias

Immortal
Last night was the perfect advertisement for not using stadiums.
2 city based clubs and f**k all went

Any other talk of roofs and all playing out of the one ground is futile and idiotic.

Crippler

Juniors
My biggest issue with anz lower bowl is that it is just too flat.

the last row you are so far back with little elevation

I am average 6foot male but people in front still have their heads in way

can fix this by either

sinking grass level by 10-15 metres and increasing angle of Seats

or cutting first 7 rows and making all others more steeper and a good 15 metres closer to sideline

Crippler

Juniors

can fix this by either

or cutting first 7 rows and making all others more steeper and a good 15 metres closer to sideline

Last night was the perfect advertisement for not using stadiums.
2 city based clubs and f**k all went

Any other talk of roofs and all playing out of the one ground is futile and idiotic.

Compared to the pub-status suburban grounds which are responsible for sub 7k crowds in poor weather due to inadequacy facilities against wet weather. Sitting on the hill is not something a professional sporting league should be proud of if anything it makes the comp look amateur.

Modern stadiums over out-dated suburban grounds any day of the week. Time for RL to move into the 21st century for once instead of always falling way behind.

GAZF

First Grade

can fix this by either

Second option would be cheaper and feasible since they modified the stands in-situ to make them retractable. Rough estimate of a total loss of 5000 seats (30 seats/row x 7 rows/bay x ~20 bays = 4200) on the east and west stands. A fair chunk of those seats would be for season ticket holders. Will a lower number of high demand seats attract larger crowds?

carcharias

Immortal
Translation: "aim low and you'll never be disappointed"

Does watching a game of footy on TV in an empty stadium make you wish you were there?

No
Of course it doesn't
That is why no merkin goes...because it is shit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney still needs a big rectangular stadium for big rectangular sporting events. ANZ Stadium can be that stadium. Just re-build the f**ker.

Not the nrl's problem. ANZ is fine as is for gf, semis and soo which is about all it should be used for. The problem is when you move away from the big stadium to the mid size or suburban stadiums. Focus should be on a new 35k stadium for western teams, upgrade to Allianz for Eastern and Southern teams and a plan for the 3 outlying suburban clubs that a central stadium won't work for.

That should be the nrl's concern.

Brutus

Referee
Not the nrl's problem. ANZ is fine as is for gf, semis and soo which is about all it should be used for. The problem is when you move away from the big stadium to the mid size or suburban stadiums. Focus should be on a new 35k stadium for western teams, upgrade to Allianz for Eastern and Southern teams and a plan for the 3 outlying suburban clubs that a central stadium won't work for.

That should be the nrl's concern.

What would be your ideal upgrade for Allianz??

Perth Red

Post Whore
main things would be a light rail link from central, a entertainment POp up village in the park for pre and post food, drinks and music, and a full roof like Dunedin. If weather patterns are going to stay it looks like Sydney is heading for wetter warmer winters. A roof ensures a decent crowd regardless of weather.

If this was done I would like to see the nrl take a stake in it and the new Western Sydney stadium to ensure they are first and foremost nrl stadiums. Play a Sydney blockbuster at Allianz every week on a Friday night with big entertainment precinct set up and great ticket deals, aim for a 35k crowd every week. The game needs to find the best way to not use ANZ, it is a blight to see 65k empty seats every game and makes the game look Like it is a third tier code in Sydney.

Von Neumann

Juniors
What would be your ideal upgrade for Allianz??

The NRL and govt did all they could.

But how about next time a plan that can't be denied even by the most sensible, prudent and cautious premier

A crystal dome across the entire precinct, a moderately difficult maze to the main entrance, foam seats for kids on the sidelines, strip club for the blokes, strip club for the womenz, tanning salon, super market, arcade, recliner chairs for the older folk, library, race track, escalators, ramps, elevators, transporters, slippery dips from top stand to bottom, shooting range, a park, shopping center and dedicated bottle-o, an Allianz blimp floating gently by...and to top it all off - snow flakes descending from glittering, crystal heights.....

Aww

The decadence would be glorious. It would be owned by the good people of london and used only by the warriors once a year should they get a rare Friday night game in the month of September. It would be a joy to behold even as our economy switched slowly to fiat currencies due to the extraordinarily impressive cost.

That.... Or fall in love with suburban grounds all over again. The Moore Park elite would roll their eyes but it would be a victory for fiscal sensibility over decadent hedonism
__

Last edited:

Von Neumann

Juniors
^^^forget that one ^^^^

East-West. Do my East-West thing!!!!

we've got the money for it now. :D:D

unr0.png

This one. Solved. Next problem for the fair city.

It shows a distinct lack of taste this has not been built already. While we wait for the money to be deposited in the account we can install cargo nets and watch from excellent vantage points. The Moore Park elite will cringe at the frivolity and frugalness of it all, but the NRL will announce it a victory of function over feature, earning world wide acclaim since hills have been cast aside, and in some instances converted into community farming plots.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
went to the Sydney FC semi last night at Moore Park (i'm a season tix holder so I go regularly).

the new screens are f**kin ridiculous. you can't help but watch it rather than the actual field of play, particularly when sitting at the end.

the beer lines are a disgrace. everything is done the hard way here in Sydney. instead of having a production line to get the drinks out and the lines moving, the SFS has each server pour the individual drinks with their single gun (most folks buy 4 beers so you can imagine how long this takes with each transaction), then they have to pack the tray, and then they register the sale. good thing i got into the line at 7 as i just made it back to my seat by 7.30 for kick off. what a f**king joke.

go to Melbourne like Docklands and learn how it's done. they have the four pour contraptions which have the beers ready to go. one person packs what you need and a separate person makes the sale. they get you in and out in seconds to a few short minutes it's so quick.

trust management is stuck in the f**kin 1950s like the rest of this metropolitan.

Von Neumann

Juniors
went to the Sydney FC semi last night at Moore Park (i'm a season tix holder so I go regularly).

the new screens are f**kin ridiculous. you can't help but watch it rather than the actual field of play, particularly when sitting at the end.

the beer lines are a disgrace. everything is done the hard way here in Sydney. instead of having a production line to get the drinks out and the lines moving, the SFS has each server pour the individual drinks with their single gun (most folks buy 4 beers so you can imagine how long this takes with each transaction), then they have to pack the tray, and then they register the sale. good thing i got into the line at 7 as i just made it back to my seat by 7.30 for kick off. what a f**king joke.

go to Melbourne like Docklands and learn how it's done. they have the four pour contraptions which have the beers ready to go. one person packs what you need and a separate person makes the sale. they get you in and out in seconds to a few short minutes it's so quick.

trust management is stuck in the f**kin 1950s like the rest of this metropolitan.

we see why they wanted a new one with this combined with everything else.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^forget that one ^^^^

This one. Solved. Next problem for the fair city.

It shows a distinct lack of taste this has not been built already. While we wait for the money to be deposited in the account we can install cargo nets and watch from excellent vantage points. The Moore Park elite will cringe at the frivolity and frugalness of it all, but the NRL will announce it a victory of function over feature, earning world wide acclaim since hills have been cast aside, and in some instances converted into community farming plots.

Id like to point out that most of the worlds best stadiums are patchwork designs (England, US, even the MCG was done piecemeal)

Old Trafford is arguably the best RL stadium in the world, and even it looks like Frankenstein's monster

Old%20Trafford%20-%202013-2.jpg

Brutus

Referee
Id like to point out that most of the worlds best stadiums are patchwork designs (England, US, even the MCG was done piecemeal)

Old Trafford is arguably the best RL stadium in the world, and even it looks like Frankenstein's monster

Old%20Trafford%20-%202013-2.jpg

It aint the best RL stadium in the world with those tiny soccer field-sized in goal areas.

roughyedspud

Coach
Old trafford a terrible RL venue...

I,for one,hope we move the ESL grand final to man citys etihad stadium when they've finished making it bigger,they are currently expanding it to 62,000..

RWB

Bench
The SFS doesn't even really need that much of a revamp, there's just some fundamental flaws that really let it down.

There's just flat out not enough space inside the stadium in front of the food joints & bars. You notice it as soon as the crowd gets anywhere near around 20k, anything over and it's a nightmare can take up to 20 minutes just to get a beer or some food & it's a sideways shuffle at snails pace to get back to your seat through the crowd.

Parking is the worst of any major stadium I've ever visited in Australia. Even on a quiet night where 12-15k rock up you're doing well if you're out of the car park in under half an hour.

Public transport is a rip off to get to the game, the shuttle buses need to be free and there needs to be light rail right up to the front door.

It's $14 to get a return ticket from the Eastern Suburbs or Inner West to Moore Park on public transport. It's $0 to get to Olympic park from anywhere in Sydney.

And there's quite a few opportunities missed given how limited the stadium is for space behind the western and northern grandstands.

Unfortunately I don't think any of these will be addressed under an investment into the SFS. It needs some smart strategic thinking more than buckets of money.