What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

carcharias

Immortal
i've got discipline mate. but if i want to eat something, i don't want it limited to fast food trash or a $10 hot dog. options around a venue is best for all, rather than shit inside it.

You could have something to eat before you go or take a healthy option to eat.
I do
I’ve never died from doing it.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-governm...lass-stadiums-to-bring-premium-events-to-nsw/

Premier Gladys Berejiklian today announced Allianz and ANZ stadiums will be rebuilt and transformed into world-class facilities, keeping NRL Grand Finals in Sydney for at least the next 25 years.

Ms Berejiklian said the investment would ensure NSW remains the number one destination for major sporting and entertainment events.

“We want the world’s biggest sporting clubs and artists to choose NSW as their preferred destination to showcase their events,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“To compete globally and attract national and international events, our stadiums must have the most modern facilities that offer a great experience for fans.”

The investment will fund:

• A new 45,000-seat stadium to replace Allianz at Moore Park with construction to start in 2018 and open in 2021 (estimated $705 million, subject to tendering process); and
  • A new 75,000-seat rectangular stadium to replace ANZ at Sydney Olympic Park, construction to start in 2019 and open in 2022 (estimated $1.25 billion, subject to tendering process).
“Fans will be closer to the action than ever before, with steep seating creating a colosseum-inspired wall of sound and colour, enhanced with the world’s most advanced technology,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“This investment means we can compete on the world stage for events such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the Rugby World Cup, and keep Sydney as the number one sporting destination.

“This is an investment into our vital tourism industry, which is worth $33.2 billion per year to the NSW economy and supports 164,000 jobs.”

Sport Minister Stuart Ayres said: “We can also announce the NSW Government has secured NRL Grand Finals games for the next 25 years.

“The SCG will host one Grand Final in 2020 during the construction phase, and we have organised sequencing so that all other Grand Finals will be played at Allianz (2021 and 2022) and ANZ (2023 to 2044),” Mr Ayres said.

“We have a ‘once in a generation’ opportunity to return NSW to its rightful position as the nation’s premier destination for sport and entertainment events. When we are finished our stadiums will be the envy of the world.”

ANZ and Allianz currently attract a combined 3.5 million visitors per year and contribute more than $1 billion into the economy every year.

Over the period ANZ and Allianz are being rebuilt, the NSW Government will invest around $200 billion on health and education.

not at all.

SFS is still serviceable for another 20 years. the issue at moore park is the trust itself leasing all the space around the venue to the NRL, ARU, waratahs, roosters, sports medicine, gym, etc and closing up access in and particularly out of the joint. it doesn't need close to a billion $$ spent on the arena itself. security issues will still exist due to the above.

the arena at Homebush bay oval is only half the problem out there. it's f**ked getting out there, and there's nothing to do what's the event is over. it's a sterile shit hole. more needs to be done to improve the area.

and $2.3b as the final figure? Yeah right! Wait for the cost and timeline blow out which is any public building project in Sydney.

and of course, it wouldn't be a Sydney project without it being politicised. 2 years of wrangling for this!!

so f**k off with the glass half full analogy! i'm speaking the realities of shit that goes on in this metropolitan and state, not fairy dust and unicorns

They are constructing an every 2 minutes driverless metro line.
Olympic Park is expected to be home to 20,000 new people in the next 10 years with shop top housing mandating dining and entertainment amenity.

When this happens the level of connectivity and amenity of the 2 venues will be incomparable.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I don’t have too much of a problem with the outcome. While I would of preferred having the 2020 gf at the football coliseum, rugby league heartland, that is suncorp stadium, having $2.3 spent on stadia is pretty good.

What I’m more interested in is the amount of compensation that the Nrl accepted in return for Allianz being built first and having the gf at scg (2020)/Allianz (2021,2022) and increasing the gf from 20 to 25yrs. I would expect to see more good news coming about other discounts/funding. It would be a opportunity wasted if the Nrl didn’t get anything else.

From a qlders POV it sucks but nsw probably needs some good news.

Clover is complaining because the new Moore Park stadium, with the same capacity & built in the exact same place as the current stadium, may be 'bulkier' and it's 'shadow' will damage the green space. Heard it all now!

Yeah I called her on that BS on twitter. That argument makes zero sense.

When she was complaining about the stadium possibly being built across the road she very clearly said they should build it on their existing land, now they’re doing that and she’s still complaining. FMD.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
it'll be the 2019 GF
the contract runs out after next years GF I believe
If the NRL is to follow through with their threats about ANZ being done first , then they should take the very first opportunity to stick it right to Gladys, her Govt & this horrendously corrupt decision , by having a perfectly usable ANZ sit idle while Allianz is being built & the 2 grand final teams running out onto Suncorp Stadium

thats if the NRL doesn't agree with the decision
If they do , they'd need to explain very carefully why they back flipped & hopped into bed with Ayres & the SCG trust

I had read somewhere that the ANZ Stadium redovelopment was going to happen after the gf in 2019. I could be wrong. What I also noticed was that the Nrl has accepted the gov funding on the proviso that the builds happen on time. Any delay on Anz and they should walk.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm just glad it's finally getting done. Hopefully the 45K seater doesn't blow out too much in costs and impact the build of the new 75K seater.

Hopefully they make it on time because they will be a huge boon for the Sydney sporting landscape.

I'm just glad it's finally getting done. Hopefully the 45K seater doesn't blow out too much in costs and impact the build of the new 75K seater.

Hopefully they make it on time because they will be a huge boon for the Sydney sporting landscape.

In terms of the possible cost blowouts, one advantage for ANZ is that the stadiums will have a construction overlap. So that’ll make it harder to modify plans for ANZ if Allianz blows out.

I also think we’ll see pretty firm plans for ANZ before Allianz construction starts, so again I think that’ll make it hard to amend the plan.

Billythekid

First Grade
In terms of the possible cost blowouts, one advantage for ANZ is that the stadiums will have a construction overlap. So that’ll make it harder to modify plans for ANZ if Allianz blows out.

I also think we’ll see pretty firm plans for ANZ before Allianz construction starts, so again I think that’ll make it hard to amend the plan.

Yeah that's certainly a good thing. Where are the tenants of Allianz and ANZ going to move their matches whilst bothbstadium are down?

axl rose

Bench
http://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017/11/24/roosters_applaud_sta.html

In a world first, the new Stadium will operate in two modes – ‘Club Mode’ with a 30,000 capacity and ‘Championship Mode’ which will open the stadium to a 45,000 capacity.

1511479526898.jpg;pva5519fc353570e03

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench

Ive thought about this and I think that the government have shown that they're more than willing to throw more money at a problem to save face. So if Allianz does blow out, they wouldn't want to risk alienating the tenants of Homebush and West Sydney any further by pulling money back from there.

The only problem I see is that if Labor get in next election (which seems likely), they might pull funding back significantly and they wouldn't have to worry about alienating West Sydney too much as its mostly a safe seat for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does this investment mean people in Sydney will get off their sofas and actually go to games in decent numbers?

Shame the GF isn’t going to Suncorp, would have been good to see sold out signs for a change

Ive thought about this and I think that the government have shown that they're more than willing to throw more money at a problem to save face. So if Allianz does blow out, they wouldn't want to risk alienating the tenants of Homebush and West Sydney any further by pulling money back from there.

The only problem I see is that if Labor get in next election (which seems likely), they might pull funding back significantly and they wouldn't have to worry about alienating West Sydney too much as its mostly a safe seat for them.

Agree on the alllienation thing. It’d be a shit show with the NRL & FFA is they modify the ANZ stadium plan.

Don’t agree on labor getting in though. I think it’s more likely that the liberals will squeak home, the spectre of ALP corruption still looms large. We’ve got another Eddie Obeid trial coming up next year for instance. Liberals also still lead the state polling by 53-47 or thereabouts.

Western Sydney isn’t as reliable for labor as it once was either. There’s many seats that are in play.

Also it’s very likely the ALP win the next federal election, and typically that hurts the party at the state level.

Last Week

Bench
Agree on the alllienation thing. It’d be a shit show with the NRL & FFA is they modify the ANZ stadium plan.

Don’t agree on labor getting in though. I think it’s more likely that the liberals will squeak home, the spectre of ALP corruption still looms large. We’ve got another Eddie Obeid trial coming up next year for instance. Liberals also still lead the state polling by 54-46, or thereabouts.

Western Sydney isn’t as reliable for labor as it once was either. There’s many seats that are in play.

Either way, the Libs winning the next state election is not a sure thing.

One thing that we do have going for us is labor support the Homebush redevelopment, but not the Moore Park one. So Labor, if they get in, should still continue with Homebush.

Either way, the Libs winning the next state election is not a sure thing.

One thing that we do have going for us is labor support the Homebush redevelopment, but not the Moore Park one. So Labor, if they get in, should still continue with Homebush.

One factor is it depends how advanced the plans are.

For instance if the govt signs a contract with a developer before the election that’ll make it harder for the ALP to change the plans. They could still change them but it’d likely incur a monetary penalty.