What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh, that new eastern stand in Perth looks very steep on tv. The NSW govt is claiming that the Pirtek stadium stands are the steepest in Australia.
The other thing about the new Parra is that the roof will surround the whole stadium, unlike Perth where there is basically 3 other open sides.
This stadium will create the best atmosphere in the country without question.

8103090-3x2-700x467.jpg

Looks great, look forward to seeing a game there in the future.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I hope that all of these new stadia around the country put the heat on the QLD Government to redevelop Suncorp into a stadium with a larger capacity but sadly I don't see it.

I feel that the Gabba will be next in line (no major works since the 90's) on the back of cricket - regular large crowds for big bash, ODI, international T20 and the annual test match. The second priority will probably be a mid-sized rectangular stadium for Brisbane Roar, QLD Reds, Rugby Union Men's and Women's world cup bids and the FIFA women's world cup bid.

If we had a mid-sized stadium though, it means that Suncorp doesn't need to cater for smaller events the next time it is refurbished so it should mean we can get a 60 - 65k venue. It seems big for Brissie but there are about three or four annual sell-out events there now that would probably still sell-out if the capacity increased to 65k:

- NRL double header
- state of origin (up to two annually)
- Socceroos
- Wallabies

By the time they got around to a Suncorp refurb (say 10 - 15 years), hopefully you could add a few more events that could draw in excess of 52k:

- Brisbane NRL derby x 2
- Broncos v Cowboys
- Brisbane 2 v Cowboys
- Rugby League Internationals

On top of that the Broncs will continue drawing 35k average crowds and Brisbane 2 will most likely slowly grow to a similar average.

Perth Red

Post Whore
$4-500mill to sell an extra 40k seats a year seems not a very good return? Would take about 500 years to pay back the cost! If Suncorp stopped getting events due to its capacity there would be more of an argument for it but that seems unlikely.

jim_57

Staff member
It's hard to make a legitimate case for this

Having a 60-65k seat Suncorp with 40k "club mode" and a 25k seat new stadium would be the perfect set up for rectangular sports going forward. Making it a reality is another thing, although if the stadium envy kicks in when Suncorp is no longer the premier rectangular venue in the country and the 6th largest stadium in Australia (already the case) it may be looked at. This is assuming though that Suncorp actually can be redeveloped. If it is going to be a total tear down & rebuild it would be a very hard sell to knock down Suncorp and it will likely remain as is for 20+ years.

beave

Coach
Having a 60-65k seat Suncorp with 40k "club mode" and a 25k seat new stadium would be the perfect set up for rectangular sports going forward. Making it a reality is another thing, although if the stadium envy kicks in when Suncorp is no longer the premier rectangular venue in the country and the 6th largest stadium in Australia (already the case) it may be looked at. This is assuming though that Suncorp actually can be redeveloped. If it is going to be a total tear down & rebuild it would be a very hard sell to knock down Suncorp and it will likely remain as is for 20+ years.

Go back a few pages, this has already been discussed.

Sydney still hasn’t got it’s 2 main stadiums rebuilt yet so don’t be counting your envy chickens before they’ve hatched.

jim_57

Staff member
Go back a few pages, this has already been discussed.

Sydney still hasn’t got it’s 2 main stadiums rebuilt yet so don’t be counting your envy chickens before they’ve hatched.

I know I was there.. is it official though or just what some people on a forum have heard or think? I'm sure it would be an uphill battle, maybe not impossible though.

I'll count my envy eggs then.
images

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Just observing it I guess.

Side note, since they made the big screens bigger (it needed to be done) the back 3 rows of the top end tiers you can’t see the new screens. The roof trusses hang down too far.

11930663-DBC2-4052-BCBA-33950B3A9A27_zpsji5es8uf.jpg

jim_57

Staff member
Just observing it I guess.

Side note, since they made the big screens bigger (it needed to be done) the back 3 rows of the top end tiers you can’t see the new screens. The roof trusses hang down too far.

11930663-DBC2-4052-BCBA-33950B3A9A27_zpsji5es8uf.jpg

Not having a go mate, you are probably right. Just throwing out best case scenario, I'm sure with modern engineering it could be made to work, but once you use the words "modern engineering" it would probably put it well out of price range.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know Old Trafford over the last couple of decades has one stand at a time been extended significantly from 44k to 75k without a total rebuild of the whole thing at once. Maybe an extra layer on the two main stands is possible without demolishing the whole thing but again the cost return doesn't stack up at all. Its a great stadium as is so hard to justify the expenditure for an extra 10k seats that are only needed a handful of times a year.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Being a Brisbanite, I certainly don't have stadium envy for what NSW or Townsville are getting. I think the more quality rectangular stadia there are, the better it is for rugby league in this country.

I do, however, hope the QLD Government get stadia envy and / or panic over having to keep up to attract big events because that will mean more expenditure for us

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I know Old Trafford over the last couple of decades has one stand at a time been extended significantly from 44k to 75k without a total rebuild of the whole thing at once. Maybe an extra layer on the two main stands is possible without demolishing the whole thing but again the cost return doesn't stack up at all. Its a great stadium as is so hard to justify the expenditure for an extra 10k seats that are only needed a handful of times a year.

Alright, you twisted my arm - we'll take an 80k stadium then :p;)

taipan

Referee
If every club had a decent family friendly stadium ,whether it be a 35,000 + or 20-25,000 capacity ,I doubt we'd be arguing crowd drops,throwing in of course removal of that satanic 6pm Friday nighttime slot.
And the funny part about it ,actually increasing crowds (bringing in more families) can assist in growing the junior base.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Berejiklian short of stadium cash with Land and Property sale under threat

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s promise to use the $2.6 billion sale of the state’s Land and Property Information service to fund two stadium rebuilds is under threat, with the revelation she might have to borrow to build the stadiums because of her own government’s rules around capital spending.

According to the rules, the government cannot transfer money from its capital works building fund Restart NSW, which includes Land and Property Information service sale proceeds, unless the benefit-to-cost ratio for a proposed project is positive — or greater than one.

And yet when the Premier announced the $2 billion stadium builds, cabinet was told the BCR of both projects at that time was around 0.8.

The BCR refers to the calculations on whether a project’s benefit outweighs its cost. It is a measure of the value for money of any project.

This fact sets the scene for some furious working of numbers before the Premier releases the business cases for the planned knockdown and rebuilds of Allianz and ANZ stadiums soon — or it means the government will have to borrow the money to build the stadiums.

It could also pave the way for a backdown on one of the stadiums, although this seems unlikely given the ANZ rebuild and knockdown already includes agreements between Sports Minister Stuart Ayres and the National Rugby League around the staging of grand finals in Sydney. Mr Ayres has also made it clear he believes safety issues require the rebuild of Allianz.

Admitting the situation yesterday, Mr Ayres told The Australian: “The source of funding for major infrastructure projects are a matter for the NSW government. There is no do-nothing option at Allianz Stadium or ANZ. Labor has refused to acknowledge the real safety, security and compliance issues at Allianz.

“After a final investment decision is taken, a summary of the business case will be publicly released.”

Restart NSW was set up by former premier Barry O’Farrell after his election in 2011 to pay for infrastructure projects such as the metro rail lines and West Connex and other motorways.

Proceeds from major asset sales, such as the $30 billion sale of half the state’s electricity poles and wires, have been placed into the fund. The initiative is known as “asset recycling” as proceeds from the assets deemed surplus to requirements are placed in the fund and then spent on new assets, without an effect on the state’s balance sheet.

The initiative has allowed the government to achieve zero net debt.

But all of the money coming out of the fund is strictly tied to the BCR test.

Under the government’s stadiums policy, $1.25 billion has been promised for the ANZ Stadium knockdown and rebuild at Sydney Olympic Park in the west of Sydney and $705 million for the knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium in the city’s east, after much lobbying from the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, which includes on its board 2GB broadcaster Alan Jones and Mr O’Farrell.

Opposition Leader Luke Foley has used Ms Berejiklian’s stadium announcements to launch a “schools and hospitals, not stadiums” campaign.

He has also protested that with the Allianz rebuild, which he steadfastly opposes, scheduled to be first off the rank, it appears the government’s intention is to have the work well under way before the March 2019 state election, to stop him overturning the decision should Labor win.