What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Still think this will backfire massively on the NSW government if the NRL do go through with their threat. The other states are going to offer big money for the GF and once the NRL tastes that gravy train it will be hard to convince them to go back.

Eventually they'll have to build new stadiums anyway and they'll have lost one of their big showpiece matches.

The NRL will still have a strong big match presence in NSW with SOO too.

I fear that throughout this whole charade that the AFL and Union personalities involved have played politics to ensure that Sydney loses the GF because, make no mistake, that is a good result for the other codes. The GF is the one thing other than the NSW state of origin team that gives the people of Sydney a united feeling of ownership of the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Probably netted the NRL in excess of $15-20million in moving those games. It interesting that originally it was only going to be potentially every 2-3 years a game would be moved out of NSW or Qland yet we have ended up with 3 years in a row. Good business by the NRL!

Good business and also not bad for the concept to have a neutral venue each year to keep things even. Let's hope the ARLC start to realise the money that they can make if they start promoting the Kangaroos brand.

Pommy

Coach
Just noticed Sydney FC are advertising the last Sydney Derby at the existing Allianz stadium. Obviously they’re planning on it happening.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/9d72457586fcb64dd4393d55d132b05f

Stadium upgrades: Foley urged to stop blocking renovations

Anna Caldwell, State Political Editor, The Daily Telegraph
February 15, 2018 11:00pm

FAILURE to support the ANZ Stadium rebuild risks economic growth in the region, Western Sydney powerbrokers have warned Labor leader Luke Foley.

In a two-page letter they point to the financial and tourism-based case for rebuilding the stadium at Olympic Park, saying it will deliver the “most economic benefit” of any stadium redevelopment.

Mr Foley has vehemently opposed the government’s commitment to knock down and rebuild both the ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium at Moore Park, at a cost of more than $2 billion.

He has not revealed his own plan but has been lobbied by the NRL to commit to a stadiums rebuild.

The letter, dated last Friday, calls on Mr Foley to support the rebuild of ANZ Stadium to a world-class, state-of-the-art, rectangular stadium.

It is signed by Sydney Olympic Park Business Association, Sydney Business Chamber of Western Sydney, Western Sydney Business Connection and Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue.

Government investment in facilities in Queensland, South Australia and Victoria is already “denying Western Sydney the valuable business tourism jobs it needs and the entertainment and sporting venues it deserves”, the letter says.

It notes that Mr Foley had previously supported the redevelopment of stadiums in Western Sydney before the government increased the cost and scope of the project.

The letter says there is “uncertainty in the region” because the ANZ rebuild is not scheduled until 2019-2022 — after the next state election.

It adds the redevelopment of ANZ “will result in a more vibrant sports and entertainment precinct while boosting the NSW visitor economy”.

It said the stadium already contributes more than $500 million to the state’s economy each year and a world-class rectangular stadium on the site “will further reinforce this area as one of the greatest sporting precincts” in the nation.

“We are confident that a revitalised stadium will ensure the precinct can reach its full potential as an economic and sporting powerhouse,” it said.

The letter notes the “significant adverse public response” over cost and agrees “any investment ... needs rigorous business case development”.

Timbo

Staff member
Luke Foley is useless. I'm slightly to the left of Trotsky and even I'm no fan of his.

The only one who can stuff this up at this point is the LNP.

Old Beetroot had had a small dig at both Stuart Ayres and Gladys Berejiklian in today's Telegraph. Said if the SFS had so many safety and oh&s issues, why was it that 2 years ago they spent $20 million on the new screens at the ground with these issues outstanding?

You start to realise when even Slothfield starts pointing this out, some of the stuff said about the SFS is just a load of bollocks.

Old Beetroot had had a small dig at both Stuart Ayres and Gladys Berejiklian in today's Telegraph. Said if the SFS had so many safety and oh&s issues, why was it that 2 years ago they spent $20 million on the new screens at the ground with these issues outstanding?

You start to realise when even Slothfield starts pointing this out, some of the stuff said about the SFS is just a load of bollocks.

I’m not sure what’s being said is a load of bullocks. But I think there’s been some mismanagement of the SFS in the past. Perhaps they even ran certain things into the ground on purpose?

They’re certainly not wrong about 3 issues, female toilets, female change rooms & safety. How easily those issues could’ve been overcome with better management I’m not sure.

Suitman

Post Whore
f26b02f7-1d3e-4eb2-aff5-0f105e309873-jpeg.17687

First Grade
Yeah, 1995 I think it re-opened with that weatern stand re-developed and obviously they needed to include it in the 03 version to keep the costs down and just pretty much copied its footprint and extended it around the rest of the stadium for continuity. It’s a shame they didn’t make the other 3 sides just that little bit bigger and get the capacity up to 60k.

The other problem is Castlemaine and Hale Street being right next to the stadium. Pretty hard to extend the ground over the roads.

Still a great stadium though. The only probelm I’ve ever had is in the eastern side and you want to exit to Caxton st to get on the gas you need to go down to the lower level of the stadium before exiting and use the stadium internally to get up to that northern end if you wantto get there quickly. If you leave the stadium and go on the Eastern side, the walkway is barely 8m wide and is ridiculous when people are coming the other way, it’s like a f**king cattle run.

9287A929-B558-4526-80C7-590B02A95B6F_zpsjwoqjdoq.jpg

Makes for good banter when the Cowboys win though, jawwing off and singing in a crowd........
1st of June 2003 was one of the greatest days in Rugby League, the Newcastle Knights got to hand the Donkeys a beating on their very first game in their new stadium, those were good times.

GAZF

First Grade
1st of June 2003 was one of the greatest days in Rugby League, the Newcastle Knights got to hand the Donkeys a beating on their very first game in their new stadium, those were good times.
It was thoroughly enjoyable watching it as a neutral. If I remember correctly it was also retro round and the playing surface was a sandpit?

jim_57

Staff member
If the Sydney stadium plan goes ahead, we are looking pretty close to set for the NRL going forward.

Broncos - Suncorp Stadium - No Change Needed
Cowboys - New Stadium - Sorted
Titans - Cbus Super Stadium - Set
Bulldogs - ANZ Stadium - If redeveloped they are set, maybe with games at Belmore and/or Parra.
Dragons - WIN/WIN Jubilee - Could maybe do with some upgrades. Maybe they'll look at some games at Allianz.
Eels - New Stadium - Set
Panthers - Penrith Stadium - Set, maybe some games at the new Parra or ANZ stadiums if they're feeling ambitious.
Rabbitohs - ANZ Stadium - Set
Roosters - Allianz Stadium - Set with intimate mode for lower drawing games, Central Coast and Adelaide are fine as well.
Sea Eagles - Brookvale - One of the ones still left with work to do. What is best and what is likely I'm not sure. Don't think fans would react well having to travel to Allianz..
Sharks - Shark Park - Pretty well set, again if/when demand is there maybe a big game or 2 to Allianz.
Tigers - Campbelltown/Leichhardt/ANZ/Allianz/Parra/.. - Not sure what the plan here will be, I'd like to see them try and make a bit more of a home for themselves, maybe equal split Campbelltown & Parra?
Knights - Hunter Stadium - Pretty well set from what I can tell, don't know a lot about the Stadium.
Raiders - GIO - Useable, but could definitely use a new modern stadium closer to the city.
Storm - AAMI Park - Set
Warriors - Mt Smart - Set

Even any serious expansion candidates are all set in Perth, Brisbane, NZ, Adelaide etc. Maybe an upgrade pf Coopers if an Adelaide team were to make it and a new National stadium in Auckland could be out to use for NZ derbies.

So only really Canberra & Manly who need big changes. After that you start looking at "luxury" options like a mid-sized Brisbane stadium, upgrades in regional towns for ocassionalgames etc.