What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
Could they do something with this shithole on the Southside of Brisbane... broncos averaged mid 40ks there in the 90s. think it just sits pretty idle now, athletics do stuff there occaisonally, but they also have facilites out back of the stadium from memory.
anz.jpg

I flew up from Sydney to see my idiots play brisbane in 2000. Was my first and last visit to the joint, it’s as horrendous as it looks. It’s in the middle of nowhere as well.

t-ba

Post Whore
I flew up from Sydney to see my idiots play brisbane in 2000. Was my first and last visit to the joint, it’s as horrendous as it looks. It’s in the middle of nowhere as well.

Now now it's a 30 minute walk from the Griffith Uni Busway stop with no interlinking bus access! That's near enough.

God that place is a f**king shitdump.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only in RL would we be talking about building a small stadium somewhere in the burbs for a new Brisbane team when there is the best RL stadium in the country sitting empty every other week in the heart of the city! No wonder our crowds are sitting below 15k!

T-Boon

Coach
Could they do something with this shithole on the Southside of Brisbane... broncos averaged mid 40ks there in the 90s. think it just sits pretty idle now, athletics do stuff there occaisonally, but they also have facilites out back of the stadium from memory.
anz.jpg

If there was to be a South Brisbane side this would be good for their training base. Gradually scab some $$ for upgrades. The NRL should put an offer in.

Timbo

Staff member
Only in RL would we be talking about building a small stadium somewhere in the burbs for a new Brisbane team when there is the best RL stadium in the country sitting empty every other week in the heart of the city! No wonder our crowds are sitting below 15k!

It's going to look great when the Brisbane Pellicans host the Raiders in front of 8,000 people at Suncorp.

They need a club-sized ground early on to encourage growth. It will also help them form their own identity.

10-15 years inside a boutique stadium for non-derby games is how you encourage a new club off the ground.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's going to look great when the Brisbane Pellicans host the Raiders in front of 8,000 people at Suncorp.

They need a club-sized ground early on to encourage growth. It will also help them form their own identity.

10-15 years inside a boutique stadium for non-derby games is how you encourage a new club off the ground.

Na, we put them up in a cavernous stadium and then criticize them for drawing shithouse crowds.

It’ll depend on footy success. A half decent team will average around 20k I think.

Crushers got 21k in their first year, obviously that fell away pretty quickly but they were a god awful team.

I’d also say a big part of using Suncorp might be the superior corporate facilities.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Their current contract is up at the end of this month and they have said that playing in Toowoomba and Gladstone have been more commercially viable for them than CBUS despite the lower attendances. I think the Titans are timing this to put pressure on Stadiums QLD to reduce the rent.

Really wouldnt surprise me....

The councils would probably give the grounds for free or even pay for the privilege. With so few Qld NRL teams, the Titans should really be selling themselves around.

After Toowoomba and Ipswich, the next obvious ones would be Sunshine Coast and Redcliffe. After that, you could even go looking for local council grounds arounf the GC, Logan and Tweed.

I think there are plenty of options for the Titans, and it will do wonders for their local support and their club image...

Timbo

Staff member
It’ll depend on footy success. A half decent team will average around 20k I think.

Crushers got 21k in their first year, obviously that fell away pretty quickly but they were a god awful team.

I’d also say a big part of using Suncorp might be the superior corporate facilities.

Yeah, I agree re: the corporates - but this is where my earlier point that Ballymore is a good option comes from.

The east side has corporate facilities, and they can be integrated into a new western stand.

20k is a good goal for a new team, but in my view that's why a 25k stadium makes even more sense - you're turning tickets into a hot commodity.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeh that 5k crowd and the corporates in the cow sheds must have fricking raked it in! To suggest they should take more games to small regional venues and away from their corporate supporter base is stupidity.

You dont think they could maybe leverage the copetition for games into lower rent at Robina, while using the regional games to build support bases that might later travel to see the Titans play in their main stadium?

Yeah, I agree re: the corporates - but this is where my earlier point that Ballymore is a good option comes from.

The east side has corporate facilities, and they can be integrated into a new western stand.

20k is a good goal for a new team, but in my view that's why a 25k stadium makes even more sense - you're turning tickets into a hot commodity.

Feels like the team would be set up to be lesser than the broncos, almost defeatist.

I’m a bit more bullish on a second Brisbane team than that.

I mean if it was just 2-4 games at a smaller venue, then that makes some sense. Ballymore makes some sense for that venue as it’s reasonably close to Suncorp.

Timbo

Staff member
Feels like the team would be set up to be lesser than the broncos, almost defeatist.

I’m a bit more bullish on a second Brisbane team than that.

I mean if it was just 2-4 games at a smaller venue, then that makes some sense. Ballymore makes some sense for that venue as it’s reasonably close to Suncorp.

I think you have to accept that off the bat they are lesser than the Broncos. And just throwing them into Suncorp is not going to change that fact. The Broncos have the fans, sponsors and thirty years of very successful football behind them.

Creating a team out of thin air and saying 'these are the Broncos equal' is a very good way to send them the way of the Crushers. They need to be an insurgency for their first decade. Then they can start to look to try and compete with the Broncos on their own turf.

I think you have to accept that off the bat they are lesser than the Broncos. And just throwing them into Suncorp is not going to change that fact. The Broncos have the fans, sponsors and thirty years of very successful football behind them.

Creating a team out of thin air and saying 'these are the Broncos equal' is a very good way to send them the way of the Crushers. They need to be an insurgency for their first decade. Then they can start to look to try and compete with the Broncos on their own turf.

If you’re going to base a team out of somewhere other than Suncorp it needs to be a pretty high quality facility.

I don’t think the Queensland govt is going to be prepared to spend another $200-300m on a stadium, particularly if it’s just going to draw tenants away from its existing venue.

People who were used to the high quality viewing angles, facilities and ease of transport are going to be pretty disappointed with ballymore unless it’s a big upgrade.

And do we really want them gifting that type of facility to our rivals anyway?

Timbo

Staff member
If you’re going to base a team out of somewhere other than Suncorp it needs to be a pretty high quality facility.

I don’t think the Queensland govt is going to be prepared to spend another $200-300m on a stadium, particularly if it’s just going to draw tenants away from its existing venue.

People who were used to the high quality viewing angles, facilities and ease of transport are going to be pretty disappointed with ballymore unless it’s a big upgrade.

OK, I think this mentality needs to stop.

The only way these stadiums ever get build is if there are multiple stakeholders on board. As I said, there would need to be an agreement in place that a league team that agrees to base itself out of the stadium gains the same rights as the QRU.

T-Boon

Coach
Really wouldnt surprise me....
The councils would probably give the grounds for free or even pay for the privilege. With so few Qld NRL teams, the Titans should really be selling themselves around.

South Queensland Titan Whores?

Perth Red

Post Whore

If they can only get 8k then we shouldn't be expanding the game. There is no reason a new Brisbane centralised club couldn't and shouldn't be aiming for a 20k fans base from inception. Its the games second biggest city with only one team and 3mill people plus. Is RL really that unpopular in Brisbane it couldn't have a second club with 20k plus crowds? I'm thinking not.

jim_57

Staff member

This depends on how much content Suncorp can handle and any restrictions that may be in place as well. If there are restrictions on the use of Suncorp then a 2nd stadium may become necessary. I seem to recall hearing only 2 concerts can take place there every year so if true there may be a similar restriction for sports as mentioned earlier.

As of now there is a minimum of:
  • 12 Broncos games
  • 13 Roar games
  • 8 Reds games
  • 1 Origin
  • 1 Double Header NRL
  • 1 QLD Cup Grand Final
Just with club and Origin, throw in Kangaroos, Wallabies, Socceroos, finals /trials for Broncos, Roar or Reds, concerts and the 'Magic Weekend' and you probably average around 45 days a year in use which may be acceptable but..

Throw in another 12 NRL games and maybe a second A-league team and the number grows to a level that will probably bring a 2nd stadium in to requirement whether it be through wear and tear, whinging locals or both.

You could comfortably move 20+ existing games without troubling the capacity of a 25-30k seater, just a matter of political/club/sport jostling as to where the best location would be.

Last edited:

Latest posts