What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Yep, it was supposed to service the new stadium that was going to be built over the Kippax lake area besides servicing the Cricket Ground. It’s a wonder they haven’t tried to reroute the light rail across this white elephant of a bridge now, lol.

Lol.
They probably looked at it and realized the trams didn't have the required turning circle for corkscrews at each end!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I keep seeing this professed, but ANZ is still goimg to be far superior than it is now. ANZ is basically back to where the Mike Baird announcement was 2 years ago.

For NRL games the new ANZ will be much better, sure a new stadium would’ve been the best option for Sydney, but for the NRL there’s little difference between the renovation & a rebuild.

Is it though for club games? Maybe last nights 8000 might have been 12000 but its still too big and sucks for atmosphere when empty. Being a bit closer and steeper wont solve that. Geez I hope clubs abandon it for WSS!

Suitman

Post Whore
T

thats nothing , our footbridge to Optus stadium has taken longer than the stadium to build and is costing $80mill!!!

Yeh, but that's a pretty flash pedestrian bridge!!

1528721908518_GC41LSL1B.1-2.jpg

Is it though for club games? Maybe last nights 8000 might have been 12000 but its still too big and sucks for atmosphere when empty. Being a bit closer and steeper wont solve that. Geez I hope clubs abandon it for WSS!

I said it will be far better than it is now. not that it will be as good as a proper 30k seat stadium.

Obviously the best solution would be to see more games at the WSS.

Thursday night games in particular must be held at smaller venues.

Billythekid

First Grade
I said it will be far better than it is now. not that it will be as good as a proper 30k seat stadium.

Obviously the best solution would be to see more games at the WSS.

Thursday night games in particular must be held at smaller venues.

It will be better than what we have now but we'll be stuck with that for another 20 years. This was the chance for Sydney to build a true world class stadium with a large capacity for its big events. It's a huge missed upportunity.

It will be better than what we have now but we'll be stuck with that for another 20 years. This was the chance for Sydney to build a true world class stadium with a large capacity for its big events. It's a huge missed upportunity.

I agree, it could’ve been a better outcome for Sydney. But it will still clearly be the premier rectangular ground in Australia for big events.

Sydney will continue to see the bulk of touring EPL teams, Socceroos, NRL grand finals etc.

Quidgybo

Bench
Thoughts tweeted at the head honch. Dunno if I entirely agree with myself but this use of the same money would vastly help many more League games by sheer number...

I used to think big stadiums were the future but it’s too big a step too soon. Get great atmosphere in smaller stadiums and build support to capacity first, then you have an argument for funding upgrades. 192 regular season games, only 3-4 big event games. Compromise the smaller number.

We already have a huge “event” stadium at Homebush and alternatives like the MCG. Not ideal League venues but still workable and only really needed for 3-4 big games a year. Concentrate on fixing the experience for the majority of games which suffer with smaller club crowds in big hollow stadiums.

Instead of $750m at Allianz and $800m at ANZ, spend $400m for a Parra duplicate at Allianz, $350m for another Parra dupe for Souths and Bulldogs next to ANZ, $200m each at Brookvake, Penrith and Campbelltown, $100m each at Cronulla and Wollongong. Only use ANZ (untouched) like Wembley - for events.

Leigh.

Last edited:
Thoughts tweeted at the head honch. Dunno if I entirely agree with myself but this use of the same money would vastly help many more League games by sheer number...

I used to think big stadiums were the future but it’s too big a step too soon. Get great atmosphere in smaller stadiums and build support to capacity first, then you have an argument for funding upgrades. 192 regular season games, only 3-4 big event games. Compromise the smaller number.

We already have a huge “event” stadium at Homebush & alternatives like the MCG. Not ideal League venues but still workable and only really needed for 3-4 big games a year. Concentrate on fixing the experience for the majority of games which suffer with smaller club crowds in big hollow stadiums.

Instead of $750m at Allianz and $800m at ANZ, spend $400m for a Parra duplicate at Allianz, $350m for another Parra dupe for Souths and Bulldogs next to ANZ, $200m each at Brookvake, Penrith and Campbelltown, $100m each at Cronulla and Wollongong. Only use ANZ (untouched) like Wembley - for events.

Leigh.

The ship has sailed.

But even if it hadn’t I can’t see how the govt could justify big money for single tenant stadiums.

Although with that said I do think there might be some wiggle room to reduce Allianz stadium, but it’ll need a fair effort to get that done.

colly

Juniors

Suitman

Post Whore
It's one example but LOOK at the ST Petersburg Stadium, it would be in the 10 best football stadiums in the world. The inside has the best view lines ever.
http://www.stadiumguide.com/tournaments/fifa-world-cup-2018/
http://stadiumdb.com/tournaments/world_cup/2018/saint_petersburg_stadium

I agree.
It's a bit rich to pick on one stadium with some temporary seating, which would have been required to comply with FIFA's minimum capacity requirements, when there are so many other unbelievable stadiums that have been built, re-built or upgraded for the World Cup.
I'd be happy if Australia had even half of these.

greenBV4

Bench
I agree.
It's a bit rich to pick on one stadium with some temporary seating, which would have been required to comply with FIFA's minimum capacity requirements, when there are so many other unbelievable stadiums that have been built, re-built or upgraded for the World Cup.

How good it would be if we ever get the world cup,
not at all a fan of soccer but it would do wonders for rectangular stadiums in this country

Marlins

Juniors
not at all a fan of soccer but it would do wonders for rectangular stadiums in this country
There’s a good chance we’ll put in a bid for the 2030 WC. Might have a better chance of getting it if Sydney/Nsw don’t f**k up these new stadiums.

Suitman

Post Whore

Exactly. It would be a godsend for the NRL if this happened. We are the only continent that has never hosted a World Cup so it will happen sooner or later.

**Disclaimer on only continent statement. I don't think Antarctica will ever hold a World Cup. Lol.

There’s a good chance we’ll put in a bid for the 2030 WC. Might have a better chance of getting it if Sydney/Nsw don’t f**k up these new stadiums.

2030 will very likely go back to Europe.

2034 or 2038

But again it will be difficult because I’d say China will get one of them.

I agree.

It actually makes a lot of sense, even if it looks weird.

They don’t want to be left with a big stadium that won’t get filled.

Qatar are actually building some stadiums that can be dismantled afterwards, supposedly they’re going to give them away to another country. With that said Qatar never should be hosting it.

Suitman

Post Whore
It actually makes a lot of sense, even if it looks weird.

They don’t want to be left with a big stadium that won’t get filled.

Qatar are actually building some stadiums that can be dismantled afterwards, supposedly they’re going to give them away to another country. With that said Qatar never should be hosting it.

Well, re Qatar, we all know that was a corrupt decision.
The following image supports this.

Dfhu7qAX4AEGRmh.jpg

On the other hand, the recent vote this week for the 2026 World Cup shows that FIFA are far more transparent these days.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...fa-world-cup.pdf?cloudid=vpnl19m2xr8zk50mnor3

Voting is now revealed.

I think you are right that China will get a World Cup before we do, and, if they do, it might delay Asia's chances by 20 years. I'll be dead by then. :(

Our bid for 2022 had some fantastic plans/designs for Aussie rectangular stadiums.
It was such a shame that it was such a corrupt process. Even England's bid was better than Russia's and Qatar's, and they didn't do much better than us in the voting process.

Unlike the Olympics, the Football World Cup is such a sought after tournament the world over. The resulting infrastructure would last for decades.

jim_57

Staff member
I agree.

Stadium wise a sucessful Australian (/NZ?) FIFA World Cup bid would probably sort the country out stadium and infrastructure wise for the next 50 years. Problem may be that it would most likely leave us some stadiums a bit too large for practical use for 99% of events, bigger problem is it probably won't happen any time soon if at all.

Just out of boredom here's what it could look like at a guess.
  • Sydney - ANZ - As is after new upgrade, improved public transport & parking options. 75k capacity would rule it out of opener or the final if FIFA stick to their rules.
  • Sydney - Allianz - As is after Upgrade, improved public transport & parking options
  • Melbourne - MCG - As is, only option for final and opener (If FIFA Compliant).
  • Melbourne - Etihad - As is.. or
  • Melbourne - AAMI Park - Upgraded to 40k
  • Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium - As is or upgraded capacity to 60k if possible, if so option for semi.
  • Perth - Optus Stadium - As is, option for semi.
  • Adelaide - Adelaide Oval - As is
So 7 definites there, to get it up to 12 there are no other current stadiums that comply, so you'd be looking at upgrades or new builds to the following to 40k+, here's where it get impractical.
  • Newcastle - Long Term a state of the art 40k stadium could be great for the Knights.
  • Canberra - With an Intimate mode it could work.
  • Gold Coast - Ditto Canberra
  • 2 of Townsville, Wollongong, Central Coast, Hobart, Geelong or Darwin - Scraping the Barrel here.
Or
  • 60k Auckland, 40k Christchurch & Wellington upgrades or rebuilds if NZ gets involved saving us from white elephants in Townsville, Hobart etc.
Have to say NRL would be the big winner out of that.

Suitman

Post Whore
Stadium wise a sucessful Australian (/NZ?) FIFA World Cup bid would probably sort the country out stadium and infrastructure wise for the next 50 years. Problem may be that it would most likely leave us some stadiums a bit too large for practical use for 99% of events, bigger problem is it probably won't happen any time soon if at all.

Just out of boredom here's what it could look like at a guess.
  • Sydney - ANZ - As is after new upgrade, improved public transport & parking options. 75k capacity would rule it out of opener or the final if FIFA stick to their rules.
  • Sydney - Allianz - As is after Upgrade, improved public transport & parking options
  • Melbourne - MCG - As is, only option for final and opener (If FIFA Compliant).
  • Melbourne - Etihad - As is.. or
  • Melbourne - AAMI Park - Upgraded to 40k
  • Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium - As is or upgraded capacity to 60k if possible, if so option for semi.
  • Perth - Optus Stadium - As is, option for semi.
  • Adelaide - Adelaide Oval - As is
So 7 definites there, to get it up to 12 there are no other current stadiums that comply, so you'd be looking at upgrades or new builds to following to 40k+, here's where it get impractical.
  • Newcastle - Long Term a state of the art 40k stadium could be great for the Knights.
  • Canberra - With an Intimate mode it could work.
  • Gold Coast - Ditto Canberra
  • 2 of Townsville, Wollongong, Central Coast, Hobart, Geelong or Darwin - Scraping the Barrel here.
Or
  • 60k Auckland, 40k Christchurch & Wellington upgrades or rebuilds if NZ gets involved saving us from white elephants in Townsville, Hobart etc.
Have to say NRL would be the big winner out of that.

Good post!!

A few points.

I'm not sure the MCG is compliant. But, FIFA have been known to bend the rules in the past. I believe that the distance from the furthest seat to the far corner of the field is 190 metres, and the MCG exceeds this. In saying that, Stadium Australia is compliant and is also large enough at 75000 to host a final.

FIFA would be reluctant to allow so many non-rectangular stadiums in a bid. Hence why Adelaide, Perth, Etihad in Melbourne would probably fall out of favour. This in turn, would be an advantage to cities like the Gold Coast, Townsville, Canberra and Newcastle to get upgraded rectangular stadiums. All a minimum of 40000. A bit over the top I know, but it would need to happen to be successful for the bid.

A lot of the images of the stadiums for our previous bid are not available (or I can't find them), but there were some seriously impressive rectangular stadiums propose.
It is no wonder that the AFL were so anti this bid, and did everything they could to derail it. f**kwits.

Latest posts