What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Good post!!

A few points.

I'm not sure the MCG is compliant. But, FIFA have been known to bend the rules in the past. I believe that the distance from the furthest seat to the far corner of the field is 190 metres, and the MCG exceeds this. In saying that, Stadium Australia is compliant and is also large enough at 75000 to host a final.

FIFA would be reluctant to allow so many non-rectangular stadiums in a bid. Hence why Adelaide, Perth, Etihad in Melbourne would probably fall out of favour. This in turn, would be an advantage to cities like the Gold Coast, Townsville, Canberra and Newcastle to get upgraded rectangular stadiums. All a minimum of 40000. A bit over the top I know, but it would need to happen to be successful for the bid.

A lot of the images of the stadiums for our previous bid are not available (or I can't find them), but there were some seriously impressive rectangular stadiums propose.
It is no wonder that the AFL were so anti this bid, and did everything they could to derail it. f**kwits.

Thanks for the clarification.

On the MCG point maybe it would be a pass mark due to the huge capacity meaning most of the seats (80,90k+?) would be within those limits.

As for Oval stadiums, maybe you could get away with 2/3 in Major Capitals? Considering Optus & Etihad have the option to move seats in that may help. It would be good to see AAMI park get an upgrade to 40k just to piss AFL off.

If done right AAMI, Newcastle, Canberra & Gold Coast with 40k stadiums with built in intimate modes for post WC use would all be huge for rectangular codes. Never mind other stadium upgrades and transport/infrastructure upgrades that will majorly benifit NRL. I can imagine why the AFL threw their toys out of the pram, they literally stand to gain nothing from it.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Stadium wise a sucessful Australian (/NZ?) FIFA World Cup bid would probably sort the country out stadium and infrastructure wise for the next 50 years. Problem may be that it would most likely leave us some stadiums a bit too large for practical use for 99% of events, bigger problem is it probably won't happen any time soon if at all.

Just out of boredom here's what it could look like at a guess.
  • Sydney - ANZ - As is after new upgrade, improved public transport & parking options. 75k capacity would rule it out of opener or the final if FIFA stick to their rules.
  • Sydney - Allianz - As is after Upgrade, improved public transport & parking options
  • Melbourne - MCG - As is, only option for final and opener (If FIFA Compliant).
  • Melbourne - Etihad - As is.. or
  • Melbourne - AAMI Park - Upgraded to 40k
  • Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium - As is or upgraded capacity to 60k if possible, if so option for semi.
  • Perth - Optus Stadium - As is, option for semi.
  • Adelaide - Adelaide Oval - As is
f**k me! This is the main reason why we were laughed out of the last World Cup bid. If we submit these stadiums in the bid again we may as well not bother.

Do you really think FIFA will allow the pinnacle of their sport to be played at cricket ovals?? The major problem we have in this country in regards to stadiums is only 2 states have the right shapes. As it stands only Sydney and Brisbane have FIFA compliant stadiums, and THREE of our major capitals don't have any intentions of ever building one. Now we could add Newcastle Canberra and Townsville stadiums with upgrades, but other than that we fall short.

The World Cup will never be held in Australia during our lifetime unfortunately.

magpie_man

Juniors
f**k me! This is the main reason why we were laughed out of the last World Cup bid. If we submit these stadiums in the bid again we may as well not bother.

Do you really think FIFA will allow the pinnacle of their sport to be played at cricket ovals?? The major problem we have in this country in regards to stadiums is only 2 states have the right shapes. As it stands only Sydney and Brisbane have FIFA compliant stadiums, and THREE of our major capitals don't have any intentions of ever building one. Now we could add Newcastle Canberra and Townsville stadiums with upgrades, but other than that we fall short.

The World Cup will never be held in Australia during our lifetime unfortunately.

It'd have to be shared with New Zealand.

Pommy

Coach
I agree.
It's a bit rich to pick on one stadium with some temporary seating, which would have been required to comply with FIFA's minimum capacity requirements, when there are so many other unbelievable stadiums that have been built, re-built or upgraded for the World Cup.
I'd be happy if Australia had even half of these.

I didn’t say Russia shouldn’t have the cup just that the one stadium looked hilarious.

Pommy

Coach
There’s a good chance we’ll put in a bid for the 2030 WC. Might have a better chance of getting it if Sydney/Nsw don’t f**k up these new stadiums.

No hope of getting 2030. They currently won’t allow the cup to go back to a continent for 8 years, 2030 will be in Europe for sure. Plus Australia is classed as Asia and with Qatar having it in 2022 they are ineligible for 2030.

Marlins

Juniors
No hope of getting 2030. They currently won’t allow the cup to go back to a continent for 8 years, 2030 will be in Europe for sure. Plus Australia is classed as Asia and with Qatar having it in 2022 they are ineligible for 2030.
I read an article the other day that said China would be affected by Qatar hosting but Australia could be shown some sympathy. It also stated that FIFA were looking more closely at Australia and how they could market the WC here.

Pommy

Coach
I read an article the other day that said China would be affected by Qatar hosting but Australia could be shown some sympathy. It also stated that FIFA were looking more closely at Australia and how they could market the WC here.

I will honestly be amazed if they miss Europe when they are eligible.

jim_57

Staff member

Probably, although from memory games have been hosted on oval grounds before, it is definitely a black mark against any Australian bid though.

At a stretch they could offer MCG and Optus Stadium as "one and a half ovals" seeing as Optus can put in temp seating for rectangular codes, Adelaide may have to miss out unless they want to plow money in to a rectangular stadium. Best bet probably would be adding Auckland (60k), Wellington (40k) & Christchurch (40k) if NZ is willing to come to the party.

no name

Coach
Probably, although from memory games have been hosted on oval grounds before, it is definitely a black mark against any Australian bid though.

At a stretch they could offer MCG and Optus Stadium as "one and a half ovals" seeing as Optus can put in temp seating for rectangular codes, Adelaide may have to miss out unless they want to plow money in to a rectangular stadium. Best bet probably would be adding Auckland (60k), Wellington (40k) & Christchurch (40k) if NZ is willing to come to the party.
Might as well have Adelaide if you’re going to swap it for Wellington.

Pommy

Coach
A joint Australia and NZ bid might be able to be classified as "oceania" instead of asia as New Zealand is apart of that

Thats a valid point but I still don't see them skipping over Europe. If FIFA are known for anything its their love of money. Having a world cup in the same time zone as your most wealthy large customer base is something I simply don't believe they will pass up, certainly not to hold one with a 7 and 9 hour time difference to those customers anyway.

8Ball

First Grade
Thoughts tweeted at the head honch. Dunno if I entirely agree with myself but this use of the same money would vastly help many more League games by sheer number...

I used to think big stadiums were the future but it’s too big a step too soon. Get great atmosphere in smaller stadiums and build support to capacity first, then you have an argument for funding upgrades. 192 regular season games, only 3-4 big event games. Compromise the smaller number.

We already have a huge “event” stadium at Homebush and alternatives like the MCG. Not ideal League venues but still workable and only really needed for 3-4 big games a year. Concentrate on fixing the experience for the majority of games which suffer with smaller club crowds in big hollow stadiums.

Instead of $750m at Allianz and $800m at ANZ, spend $400m for a Parra duplicate at Allianz, $350m for another Parra dupe for Souths and Bulldogs next to ANZ, $200m each at Brookvake, Penrith and Campbelltown, $100m each at Cronulla and Wollongong. Only use ANZ (untouched) like Wembley - for events.

Leigh.

I really like how Beattie actually seems to take the time to read messages sent to him and reply.

Thats a valid point but I still don't see them skipping over Europe. If FIFA are known for anything its their love of money. Having a world cup in the same time zone as your most wealthy large customer base is something I simply don't believe they will pass up, certainly not to hold one with a 7 and 9 hour time difference to those customers anyway.

Europe is a certainty for 2030. Russia may be in Europe for football, but really the time zones are still very different. In effect it won’t have been held in Europe proper since 2006.

Australia will have to compete with Africa & China for 2034 or 2038.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
FIFA are moving away from one country hosting. Especially as they're looking to expand the World Cup to 48 teams.

If Australia wants it then they're going to have to find a buddy or two.

Latest posts