What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why wouldn't Knights or Warriors play their home games there if they want to claim it as their territory?
Seems a bit arse-about.
And doesn't work in practice when you factor in minor problems like reality.

Let's limit this to Sydney clubs, since everyone for the most part agrees with the idea of Sydney clubs taking games on the road due to supposed over-supply.

Lets say the NRL actually had a vision and strategy for growing the game and getting regular and consistent content to audiences currently devoid of the opportunity to see NRL games live, thus using stadiums currently under used or giving new places a reason to invest in rectangular stadium infrastructure that would benefit the game long term, a pipe dream I know right? And lets say the NRL didnt just dish out $13mill grants to clubs but actually had some expectations that all that extra money helped grow the game, another pipe dream I know.

Every team gets 10 home games. The remaining 2 home games are at the NRLs disposal to do with as they feel strategically important. It was sold as clubs getting $1million of the $13million grant as compensation for the loss of these two home games. Clubs can lobby the NRL for what happens with these 2 home games but ultimately NRL controls them. Thats 32 games to do something with.

NRL identifies where there is opportunity to increase reach, relevance and future NRL top tier growth and uses the games accordingly, cities/State Govt's could bid for games. Clubs could identify where they felt they could increase their fanbase and memberships. So you'd have someone like Newcastle or Roosters lobby for 4-6 games featuring them in Gosford, Warriors lobbying for games in Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington, Souths lobbying for 4-6 games in perth, Bullodgs in Adelaide, Storm couple of games in Tassie, Penrith couple of games in Bathurst etc etc.

It would be a win - win - win for everyone if done right. But just a pipedream as we dont have the leadership at commission, club or code level to deliver it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing
Just like all your crap about moving Sydney teams home games.

My proposal is for equity and all clubs having ten home games and 2 the NRL controls. The sydney thing is a furphy as Sydney NRL fans dont attend away games in Sydney in any great numbers for most games.

siv

First Grade
If that is true then they are left with their final option in the top flight once Brooky falls apart completely - relocation. They don't seem to be doing any ground work for a move like that currently. I wonder what the internal thoughts at Manly are on this issue? I know our game suffers from a general lack of vision but surely someone can see the position that will soon be thrust apon them.

Easts are in worst position but seem to survive

Perth Red

Post Whore
So zero to do with anything remotely related to an actual future stadium.

Shall I draw you a picture in crayon?
Its about using current game content to play games in areas with under utilised stadiums, or in places like Darwin, Adelaide etc giving them a reason to invest in upgrading rectangular stadium facilities.
So yeh, it's about future NRL stadium development and usage!

You think Gosford stadium is going to be maintained, let alone upgraded, for the couple of NRL games a year it gets, if its lucky?

carcharias

Immortal
Shall I draw you a picture in crayon?
Its about using current game content to play games in areas with under utilised stadiums, or in places like Darwin, Adelaide etc giving them a reason to invest in upgrading rectangular stadium facilities.
So yeh, it's about future NRL stadium development and usage!

You think Gosford stadium is going to be maintained, let alone upgraded, for the couple of NRL games a year it gets, if its lucky?

You may as well use crayon.
Put it on the your bedroom wall with your drawings of Sydney under nuclear attack.

macavity

Referee
How’s that any different to the 9 Sydney teams?

Don't let reality get in the way of a good Sydney-centric whinge.

Could always extend the season and have clubs take a squad approach... i.e. rest players.

18 teams, 34 rounds...

Timbo

Staff member
New plan - we abandon home grounds and the NRL can schedule all matches wherever they feel like. 24 games, 24 venues. Sydney today, Gosford next week, China the week after, then Tranquillity Base on the moon the week after.

Think of the exposure, and how good it would be for the game!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
New plan - we abandon home grounds and the NRL can schedule all matches wherever they feel like. 24 games, 24 venues. Sydney today, Gosford next week, China the week after, then Tranquillity Base on the moon the week after.

Think of the exposure, and how good it would be for the game!

I like it! 24 Magic weekends all in different cities!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like it! 24 Magic weekends all in different cities!

Imagine the crowd avg!

Timbo's response was typical of the flat cap nature of RL fans. Thankfully we seem to be heading towards an NRL commission with a bit more vision. Not that I expect to see any significant powershift from clubs running the game anytime soon.

Timbo

Staff member
Imagine the crowd avg!

Timbo's response was typical of the flat cap nature of RL fans. Thankfully we seem to be heading towards an NRL commission with a bit more vision. Not that I expect to see any significant powershift from clubs running the game anytime soon.

I’ve never really got why so many people on this forum have it out for you to this point, but f**k me you’re a pelican.

I’m all for spreading the game and sharing it around, but your solution of ‘some teams now get 18 home games and others get 9’ is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on LU.

Think about that for a moment - one of the dumbest things on this forum. The forum that brought us Apex Ball and Bumper Farrell.

beave

Coach
Meh.

Don’t forget the ‘war’, Jason ‘IKHOTF’ Smith, Chick DJing on the footy show.......

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve never really got why so many people on this forum have it out for you to this point, but f**k me you’re a pelican.

I’m all for spreading the game and sharing it around, but your solution of ‘some teams now get 18 home games and others get 9’ is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on LU.

Think about that for a moment - one of the dumbest things on this forum. The forum that brought us Apex Ball and Bumper Farrell.

Where do you get those numbers from? No team will get either, every team will get 10home games. Souths playing in Perth or roosters in Gosford isn’t a home game. The nrl having 32 games to strategically expose under exposed markets to more live nrl would be a massive step forward for the games growth. Not to mention more games in nz on a Friday night to deal with the shthouse 6pm time slot can only be a good thing.

Or we could just keep doing the same old same old and go nowhere fast, which we’ve been doing for at least the last 5 years.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Wow, talk about totally not understanding what was said and going off half cocked. Hilarious!!!

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah despite what Macavity thinks the Knights catchment is, a hypothetical Roosters v Knights game in Gosford isn't really a Knights home game

Clubs already sell home games. They often sell them to locations partially advantageous to the away team to boost the crowd (eg. Cowboys in Darwin, NZ in Christchurch).
I don't necessarily agree with the details but all PR is calling for is a top-down coordinated approach. Claiming some teams will get 18 home games is a massive stretch

Latest posts