What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s a problem with playing games simultaneously that I don’t think has been spoke about in LU from memory (happy to be corrected)

The Bunker.

If they persist with the current model where one single idiot is in charge of the calls, you could get decisions backing up from multiple games. Say contentious trys are sent to the bunker from 2 games at the same time, the wait time for the 2nd call to be made will piss everyone off.

Don’t get me wrong, there needs to be schedule changes but having concurrent games going on may be shitful under the current bunker model. Keep the Thursday game as a token gesture but this 6pm friday game has to go.

Surely for the $2mill a year the bunker costs they could have 2 merkins sat in it making bad calls on each game?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do realise that half the competition is not based in Sydney. Do you think their fans might like some daylight as well. I get the idea of creating an event at the shithole, but every week just reinforces the Sydney centric views that still exist in the game.

Nothing is going to change until 2023 so there’s plenty of time to start manouvering far better outcome fir fans who want to go to games. I accept Thursday night is likely too valuable to fta to give up. The key things will be expansion and time slots it opens up, simucast of games on Fox and possibly fans accepting not every game is live. We could end up with

Thursday night
Friday simu cast 7:30pm Sydney and Brisbane 7:30pm games (brisbane2 expansion ensuring Suncorp game every Friday night)
Saturday 2pm, 4pm and 7pm
Sunday 3pm 2 games simucast every other week with WA 6pm aest alternate weeks

Sunday 3pm exclusive nrl owned digital game on its new digital channel

jim_57

Staff member
Alternate Friday 8pm games between allianz and wss
Sunday 4pm anz

16 games in NZ a year in the 6pm aest slot

The 6pm Friday could be a major point of difference for the NRL TV wise, problem is it is a crowd killer in Australia. It would make sense for as many as possible to be played in NZ but I don't think Warriors should have all their games parked there either as they might want a Saturday or Sunday game or 2 like every other team.

It would be a major selling point for a 2nd NZ team though being able to mostly eliminate the major downside of the 6pm slot, being crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 6pm Friday could be a major point of difference for the NRL TV wise, problem is it is a crowd killer in Australia. It would make sense for as many as possible to be played in NZ but I don't think Warriors should have all their games parked there either as they might want a Saturday or Sunday game or 2 like every other team.

It would be a major selling point for a 2nd NZ team though being able to mostly eliminate the major downside of the 6pm slot, being crowds.

Or more realistically the nrl could entice 6-8 games to be moved there and played at Wellington, Dunedin, Christchurch etc. if we could get 20 games in nz then warriors could get 10 Friday nights (and some financial support to create a better game night experience as compensation) and 2 Sunday games. Then 8 on the road Friday 6pm games. That covers a big chunk of the seasons sht time slots.

Diesel

Referee
Sydney has 29 Sunday games becauae 1/2 the comp is based in Sydney.
Brisbane has 3 day games this year and less than 2 a year over the past decade. Melbourne is probably similar.

If the Friday 6pm game was moved to 2 or 3pm on Sunday, then Sydney can have as many 4pm games on Sunday as they like.

Diesel

Referee
Or more realistically the nrl could entice 6-8 games to be moved there and played at Wellington, Dunedin, Christchurch etc. if we could get 20 games in nz then warriors could get 10 Friday nights (and some financial support to create a better game night experience as compensation) and 2 Sunday games. Then 8 on the road Friday 6pm games. That covers a big chunk of the seasons sht time slots.
Night games aren’t always attractive footy compared to day games.

Warriors shouldn’t have anymore than 5 Friday night games at home. If the NRL wants 6pm Friday, they can arrange for other teams to take one home game to NZ, as they’re the ones that forced the time on the clubs

6pm Friday is another example of the suits having NFI what fans and clubs want

Raiderdave

First Grade
Nothing is going to change until 2023 so there’s plenty of time to start manouvering far better outcome fir fans who want to go to games. I accept Thursday night is likely too valuable to fta to give up. The key things will be expansion and time slots it opens up, simucast of games on Fox and possibly fans accepting not every game is live. We could end up with

Thursday night
Friday simu cast 7:30pm Sydney and Brisbane 7:30pm games (brisbane2 expansion ensuring Suncorp game every Friday night)
Saturday 2pm, 4pm and 7pm
Sunday 3pm 2 games simucast every other week with WA 6pm aest alternate weeks

Sunday 3pm exclusive nrl owned digital game on its new digital channel

I don't accept the Thursday night game is too valuable for fta to let go
they should be told its not on the table as a regular time slot , so don't bother pushing it

we hear that the real big bucks won't be there from fta for the 2023 deal
we have 9 losing test cricket & 10 losing the big bash
the competitive tension should be there sufficiently , to get a good deal without Thursdays

its a bigger crowd killer then 6pm Fridays
it has to go

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rugby league administration is known for taking the easy option, they aren’t going to compromise the easy tv revenue by dictating anything, to anyone. Smith tried, it got him sacked.
tenor.gif

cooko

Juniors
I could be wrong but I think Friday 6pm games have attracted decent crowds in Canberra and Newcastle.

It’s a good time slot in Canberra as it’s relatively easy to attend for those leaving work and it’s not freezing fold.

If Canberra got a new stadium I can see the raiders pushing for this slot.

Quidgybo

Bench
There’s a problem with playing games simultaneously that I don’t think has been spoke about in LU from memory (happy to be corrected)

The Bunker.

If they persist with the current model where one single idiot is in charge of the calls, you could get decisions backing up from multiple games.

The Bunker is configured to handle two games simultaneously. There are two sets of desks, back to back. Each game is manned by three bunker officials, two who sit in front identifying relevant angles and the third senior official sitting behind who actually reviews the relevant footage and makes decision.

Edit: Looking at those photos (and the fact there are four chairs on the upper level, one at each end of the two sides), the Bunker might actually be able to handle four games simultaneously. Hard to tell without a reverse angle showing if the lower level has duplication too.

E461205C-0DB2-4DFB-A5AB-8FD0AC7290E3.jpeg

977A7D97-7909-4D3C-9438-A0AC1FE28477.jpeg

E625D64F-7A88-4504-B3DD-7A8B5806B9CE.jpeg

Leigh.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
The Bunker is configured to handle two games simultaneously. There are two sets of desks, back to back. Each game is manned by three bunker officials, two who sit in front identifying relevant angles and the third senior official sitting behind who actually reviews the relevant footage and makes decision.

View attachment 22540

View attachment 22541

View attachment 22542

Leigh.

All i can think of is

‘Groooooound control to Maaaaaajor Toooooooom........’

Quidgybo

Bench
Edit: Looking at those photos (and the fact there are four chairs on the upper level, one at each end of the two sides), the Bunker might actually be able to handle four games simultaneously. Hard to tell without a reverse angle showing if the lower level has duplication too.

Yep, definitely two full stations each side so the Bunker can handle four games simultaneously.

9F00CB27-A3A0-4BC1-889A-47D2C0B7FC9C.jpeg

Leigh.

macavity

Referee
I could be wrong but I think Friday 6pm games have attracted decent crowds in Canberra and Newcastle.

It’s a good time slot in Canberra as it’s relatively easy to attend for those leaving work and it’s not freezing fold.

Relative to most clubs crowds, yes.

Crowds for those games would have been much better on Saturday or even better, Sunday arvo.

We absolutely hate it - a lot of season ticket holders looking to cancel tickets if we get another crap draw.

We get penalised with a terrible slot for having good supporters.

siv

First Grade
You do realise that half the competition is not based in Sydney. Do you think their fans might like some daylight as well. I get the idea of creating an event at the shithole, but every week just reinforces the Sydney centric views that still exist in the

Seems to work up in Brisbane. Broncos on Friday - Qld Cup during the day on the weekend

Regional teams are a combined regional rep team. It allows for local league participation - rather than competing for dans against those events

siv

First Grade
Relative to most clubs crowds, yes.

Crowds for those games would have been much better on Saturday or even better, Sunday arvo.

We absolutely hate it - a lot of season ticket holders looking to cancel tickets if we get another crap draw.

We get penalised with a terrible slot for having good supporters.

Problem for us fans

Is that is exactly what the TV networks want. Us to be sitting on our couches at home

I am a advocate of habit when it comes to scheduling

Chopping and changing time slots means you struggle to plan work and family commitments

Then you also have junior footy commitments which dont end till around 3pm on weekends

I think 3pm Saturday is too early a time slot for FG also.

Raiderdave

First Grade

no we don't
no one does

get rid of it , & Thursday nights

Raiderdave

First Grade
Rugby league administration is known for taking the easy option, they aren’t going to compromise the easy tv revenue by dictating anything, to anyone. Smith tried, it got him sacked.

With no big increases available from FTA , theres no leverage
do you seriously think 9 will tell the NRL , oh , well if we don't do Thursdays , we will .. DEcrease the amount you get now ??
10 is there ready get a top line sport to survive if 9 overestimate their clout & will gladly forget about Thursdays to get it , Thursdays can be dispensed to the dust bin of history without too much fuss.
Where they belong.

Last edited: