What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
whats wrong with the SFS as it is??

45,5K is the right size...if anything id make it smaller
by taking theres two "wings" out of the corners of the goal ends and make the stadium symmetrical..

and look at putting a new roof on it...thats all that needs doing

Size isnt everything.... ;-)

The SFS facilities are archaic. Personally i wouldnt mind seeing them reduce the SFS seating to 30k just to achieve the same atmoshere at that Storm can consistently get.

Hell, drop the capacity to 20k if it means we can get spece in the CBD area!!

SA can be maintained as the large scale stadium (though bring in the stands for a proper rectangular stadium)....

malleekid

Juniors
http://www.sydneythunder.com.au/new...-announce-spotless-stadium-as-new-home-ground

The Thunder has signed a 10-year agreement to host all of its games at the most modern, fan-friendly stadium in Sydney.

https://twitter.com/ANZStadium/status/613595370556227584

Dave @stingray_10
@AdamHawse @ThunderBBL so swans, gws, thunder have all left @ANZStadium . So why isn't it a dedicated rectangular stadium yet?

ANZ Stadium ✔@ANZStadium
@stingray_10 @AdamHawse @ThunderBBL What an inspired idea. You have a future :)

It's finally happening

beave

Coach
Sure, you bring the ends in. Then what? The side grandstands are still an abortion of a view. Good luck trying to rectify that. The only solution would be to knock the whole thing down and start again. But that would cost a shit load.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to mention it just isnt needed for club NRL. It's fine as is for finals and origin, no club should be playing there, it's a terrible look for the game. Sydney needs 3-4 20-35k modern stadiums spread around the place.

Saint Doc

Coach
I'd love to see every Sydney club have their own Langtree park.

18k capacity.
Terraces at both ends.
Seats in club colours.

Then big matches at SFS/ANZ if guaranteed >20k crowd.

Langtree park would be a great sized ground for most games in sydney outside of about 6 or 7.
GL8A74164-1024x658.jpg

Totally unrealistic I know, but in a dream world...

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Langtree looks nice. I would extend the stands up a bit amd go for 25k capacity if you were to build a couple of those in sydney.

Pipe dream though.

Saint Doc

Coach
The beauty of Langtree is that it's such a simple design: 1 tier, every seat in the house is a good one.

beave

Coach
Wiki says £25 mil to build, that can't be right? I know its a flat pack design and all but that is what, $50-60mil oz?

Saint Doc

Coach
Wiki says £25 mil to build, that can't be right? I know its a flat pack design and all but that is what, $50-60mil oz?

St Helens paid for it themselves!
Well, kind of. I believe local council selling adjacent land to the stadium to tesco, plus sponsorship deal with Langtree and money tipped in from Saints paid for it.

There are no government grants for rugby league in England!
That's what makes it so impressive- arguably the best club rugby league stadium in the world (excluding major city stadia like Suncorp) - and probably the cheapest in the world too

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wouldnt be surprised if a rectangular ANZ was DSmiths real goal, and the proposal to get the SFS to 65k
and Parra to 40k were to light a fire up their ass...

Sure, you bring the ends in. Then what? The side grandstands are still an abortion of a view. Good luck trying to rectify that. The only solution would be to knock the whole thing down and start again. But that would cost a shit load.

I still reckon an East-West configuration would be brilliant and it would solve this issue...
unr0.png

Even without this, im sure there are a few ways to fix it up. For example, they could maintain just one
side (west) and reconfigure the other 3 on a smaller scale close in.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

In Australia it would cost four times as much, for no good reason!

Ideally the outliers ie Cronulla, manly and Penrith would have new stadiums like this each. Then a 35k aami to replace Allianz at Moore park for Souths, roosters and dragons and a redeveloped 40k west Sydney (parra) stadium for Wests, dogs and eels.

That would sort Sydney out for next 40 years.

Brutus

Referee
NSW Minister Stuart Ayers was interviewed by Steve Price on radio last night and he is adamant that ANZ Stadium should stay multi-purpose and not reconfigured rectangular.

bobmar28

Bench

Ideally the outliers ie Cronulla, manly and Penrith would have new stadiums like this each. Then a 35k aami to replace Allianz at Moore park for Souths, roosters and dragons and a redeveloped 40k west Sydney (parra) stadium for Wests, dogs and eels.

Except for the traffic and parking problems at Parramatta.

Canard

Immortal

Yes like how cheap the London Olympic stadium was to convert for West Ham.

What a bargain that is, real value for money

CC_Roosters

First Grade
NSW Minister Stuart Ayers was interviewed by Steve Price on radio last night and he is adamant that ANZ Stadium should stay multi-purpose and not reconfigured rectangular.

Stupidity if that is his view. Read today that all australia cricket matches are leaving anz for the SCG as well as the thuder hosting all matches at the showgrounds. Mkes sense foe the thunder as i had a great experience at the showgrounds game last year and willl certainly go again.

Back OT so it leaves anz with 2 major tennants in the bunnies and bulldogs with a splattering of matches from the tigers, dragons, major NRL finals, grand final, socceroos and bledisloe. Not one tennant needing the oval configuration. The ground should either be bulldozed in favour of a rectangular ground at the same location or reconfigured if its possible with a roof included. The NRL is holding all the cards in its favour at anz to push for the rectangular option and it can increase the stadiums use in a reconfigured state.

It seems the scg trust has thrown all its weight into maximising its tennancy but they have to realise that apart from the roosters and perhaps bunnies if more financially attractive no one wants to host games at moore park. Its a crap location with no immediate major public transport links and awful to get to and out of by car (did it once never again)