What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

What is in the works?

Off the top of my head, I know work is being done/being planned on renovations at Cronulla, Kogarah, Penrith and Leichardt.

New stadiums are being planned in Robina for the Gold Coast Titians for 2008 and at Olympic Park for the Melbourne Storm.

Future development is being conceived at WIN Stadium through a public/private partnership between the Wollongong Sportsground Trust and developers to renovate the Western Stand in conjunction with development on the WIN Stadium No. 2 site.

Meanwhile, at Kogarah one redevelopment finishes and another prepares to begin. The following is a masterplan of future development at Carlton, part of which is to be completed with the assistance of a 7 million dollar NSW government grant.

8d1b25f4.jpg

(Scanned from p32 of the Red V Member Magazine, Issue 17, July 2006.)

Dragons.com.au described the Master Plan in this way:

The NSW Government funding will go towards further development over the next two years, including:

Construction of a new two-tiered extension to the seating north of the existing grandstand, with provision for day-hire corporate facilities;

Construction of a new two-tiered extension to the southern terrace, expanding capacity from a few hundred seats to approximately 2,000;

Improvements to spectator access to the main grandstand, making way for future expansion;

The creation of a building facing Park Street to house football offices, a function room and upgraded dressing rooms; and

Upgrade work on the southern hill with the construction of a single tiered grandstand with seating for up to 1,000 patrons, and provision for new commercial rooms.

Can other people clue us in on details of future developments of their home grounds?

LeagueXIII said:
And Kogarah

After the recent redevelopments, Kogarah Jubilee Oval has been licensed to hold 20,541. Whether or not the club is willing to sell that many tickets to games (in the interest of comfort) is another thing altogether.

By my estimates, the further redevelopments detailed in the masterplan would increase capacity by a further 2,000 at least. Although that is a very conservative estimate. It is likely to be significantly more than that.

innsaneink

Referee
HMS- was that $7M quoted above included in the the most recent grant Kogarah got for the recent upgrades (forget how much that was)...or is this an extra, new $7M on top?

The $7 million is new money promised to us by the state government a few weeks ago.

The recent upgrade work (lights, northern stand, new seats replacing benches, training oval, etc) was completed under an $8.8 million federal government grant.

The state government granted us $800,000 back in 2003 which went towards the 2 million dollar renovations to facilitate the return to Kogarah. The other major contributors to that were the St. George Leagues Club and Kogarah Municipal Council.

choc_soldier

Coach
There were images on the Panthers site last year showing artist's impressions of Penrith Stadium, but have since been removed.

Surandy

Bench
milton said:
What will be the capacities of robina and olympic park

Olympic Park will initially be a 20k seater stadium with capacity to expand to 25k down the track.

Due to a clause in the Telstra Dome contract no new stadium can be built in Melbourne with more than 20k seating within 10 years of the contract being signed, late 1990's I think?

Having said that and looking at the design I am wondering if the total capacity might be more than 20k on completion. 20k seating and then some standing room, with the standing room area later being converted to seating area down the track?

morri (cWo)

First Grade
robina looks a lot like an english football stadium. good to see they'll fit at least 25k in there.

Estoboy

Juniors
Its great to see the stadiums being built/upgraded.
The trouble is that grounds like OKI are getting millions and millions GIVEN to them whilst Leichhardt are only given a $1mil LOAN.
Don't get me wrong, its great to see all the grounds being upgraded. It would just be nice if each ground was able to experience the benefits that others recieve.

Campbelltown upgrades are in the works and if they went full-bore they could turn that intoa 30,000 seat stadium, but thats ages away.

dimitri

First Grade
Surandy said:
Olympic Park will initially be a 20k seater stadium with capacity to expand to 25k down the track.

Due to a clause in the Telstra Dome contract no new stadium can be built in Melbourne with more than 20k seating within 10 years of the contract being signed, late 1990's I think?

Having said that and looking at the design I am wondering if the total capacity might be more than 20k on completion. 20k seating and then some standing room, with the standing room area later being converted to seating area down the track?

But Olympic Park isnt a new ground its just an old ground getting updated

fatshark said:
i thought Kogarah council put a lid on the oval? Still very poor car park options.

The Master Plan has been endorsed by council. I assume it still all needs to be formally approved through the DA process, but there is every indication that the KMC is very keen on the whole thing.

As far as parking, whilst there is no off-street parking (except for the Leagues Club), I have never had problems securing parking in the streets.

dimitri said:
But Olympic Park isnt a new ground its just an old ground getting updated

No, the stadium for Melbourne Storm/Victory is a new ground being built at Olympic Park alongside the existing Olympic Park Stadium.