What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future spine

carinashark

First Grade
Don't F$&@ with the halves. Call off the Seygario rubish, it's the spine!
Maloney
Chad
Brailey
Bird
Holmes
Then add FiFi and Prior. This is the side that will keep us in the top three for the next few seasons.
Keep Flanno here, hey never thought I would say tha!!!!!!!

Stake Removed

First Grade
Chad and Bird are asking for the same amount of Money. I can only see one being re-signed. I could see us letting Chad go again and next year have a halves combo of Bird and Maloney, and then when Maloney retires young Flanno taking his spot.

That spine would all be close to same ages on current ages

Holmes 21
Bird 21
Flanno 19
Brailey 20

MilkShark

First Grade
Bird was playing Origin as a centre. What does this have to do with him commanding Halves money?
Just because Chad is a half doesn't automatically mean he is worth more than Bird, that's a ridiculous assumption. If Chad was Cronk then yes he would be worth more. Don't get me wrong, he is a solid half, but he is a 500k half, a million dollars for him is laughable.

Don't be fooled by Dragons paying so much for Hunt, they're idiots and will pay for it in the long run.

cb4

First Grade
You are missing what I am getting at.

Chad has runs on the board to command the money, Bird doesn't. Bird, on form can probably command $500k max.

MilkShark

First Grade
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from but i'm struggling.

What runs on the board does Chad have over Bird? The fact that Chad is a premiership winning halfback?

Bird on the open market will command twice as much as Chad.

Bird played halfback for country ( i know whoopy doo) but Chad hasnt achieved that.
Bird played for NSW, btw he was on the bench as a utility not centre, Chad has not played for NSW.
I understand the market, and the price of a GF winning halfback is high, but if one of the two is going to win you a game it'd be Jack over Chad nearly every time.
cb I understand you are just saying what the market offers i personally just think this one is a little off in comparing these two players.

MilkShark

First Grade
Ash Taylor would command more on the open market than Chad and he hasn't won a premiership.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I'm a fan of both Chad and Bird and I hope we keep them both but in reality it will cost us more to keep Bird than it will Chad. Bird has supposedly had a million dollar offer from the knights while Chad will be sitting by the phone waiting for his.

Last edited:

cb4

First Grade
Bird played halfback for country ( i know whoopy doo) but Chad hasnt achieved that.
Bird played for NSW, btw he was on the bench as a utility not centre, Chad has not played for NSW.
I understand the market, and the price of a GF winning halfback is high, but if one of the two is going to win you a game it'd be Jack over Chad nearly every time.
cb I understand you are just saying what the market offers i personally just think this one is a little off in comparing these two players.

Correct, it is a little off. But you have to look from a perspective buyer when having 2 people to compare when you have to sign 1.
Jack Bird played a year at 5/8 and was ok, he won rookie of the year but if you went on roar numbers in terms of tries, try assists, line break assists ect, Kane Elgy actually had a better year.
Adding further insult to injury is the we actually went out and replaced him and moved him from a position he did ok in.
As a centre, he was middle of the park for tries, try assist line breaks ect, so whilst he has a lot of media hype behind him and a tonne of natural ability, truth be told, he just doesn't have the runs on the board.
He was selected in Origin as a utility and looked ok, but not great.

The glaring deficiency between the 2 is also their boot. If Bird wants to play 5/8, teams will probably look at Chad over Bird for a halves role because Bird has no long kicking game.
In 2014 Chad was right up the top in try assists until he got injured and had double figure assists off the boot.
The same person that told me Lichaa is under pressure also told me that Des is monitoring Chad to replace Reynolds.

So yes, in context if you talk about natural ability, Bird probably has it over Chad. But in terms of spine money, and playing in a spine role, Chad is able to ask for more on the above basis.

Ash Taylor would command more on the open market than Chad and he hasn't won a premiership.

This is not true at all.

You are missing what I am getting at.

Chad has runs on the board to command the money, Bird doesn't. Bird, on form can probably command $500k max.

Hang on that statement is wrong.

He can only command $500k max?

No one is going to get him that cheap for his next contract that is a given.

cb4

First Grade
Hang on that statement is wrong.

He can only command $500k max?

No one is going to get him that cheap for his next contract that is a given.

In an inflated market place, he will get a lot more.
But not everything you read in the press is real.

Bird has priced himself out of more teams than you think.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
So with both Lachlan Coote and Taumololo being off contract this year one being a fullback and the other being a lock...who commands and gets the bigger contract?

Latest posts