What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? G.C. bears for 2017 ??

no name

Coach
Makes sense, cos I always see Tigers in Balmain, Knights in Newie, and A BEAR IN NORTH SYDNEY....

Well North Sydney were named after their sponsors Big Bear supermarkets.
Balmain were named the Tigers because their original strip was Black and Gold stripes.
And the Knights were named so in reference to the 'steel city'.

So while you don't see those actual things in those actual places, there is a connection to the place (original colours in Balmain's case)

So unless the GC is famous for having a Titan shed in every backyard, I don't see the connection to the area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
CENTRAL Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo has admitted that a partnership with the Gold Coast could be the last shot at seeing the Bears return to the big time.

RLW revealed on Wednesday that there are moves for the Bears to buy out the struggling Titans franchise – and rename the team the Gold Coast Bears.
“We started out this process driving hard for a team on the Central Coast in 2009,” Florimo told Sky Sports’ Big Breakfast on Thursday.

“It seems pretty clear that the NRL aren’t going to be expanding to the Central Coast or anywhere in the near future, so we had to explore our options and there’s four clubs out there who are being controlled by the NRL who don’t want to be controlling them and sticking in millions of dollars – one of those clubs is the Gold Coast.

“We’ve now gone down the path of potentially being a solution for the NRL to help them out in driving a sustainable club.”
Florimo said the venture would be more of a “partnership” as opposed to a takeover.

“I think it’s very important that we’re cognisant of the Gold Coast community and the fantastic work they’ve done with the Titans,” he said. “We would think that they would like to get behind the new brand.

“We’re ready to be able to assist the NRL, if and when there comes a decision when some of those clubs are up for sale.”

Florimo said rugby league fans on the Central Coast would not be forgotten about.

“It’s important that we respect the work and the support that the Central Coast have given us over the years and we’d like to think that we can still deliver to those fans,” he added.

“The ideal model is a couple of games being taken to the Central Coast and hopefully encouraging some of the other NRL clubs to take a home or two to the Central Coast – we still think we can deliver rugby league to that area. We want the fans on the Central Coast to come with us on this journey.”
Despite the Gold Coast being rebranded a number of times over the years, Florimo said the Bears’ brand would help the club survive in that region.

“It would be the Bears, the Gold Coast Bears,” he said.

“We think in terms of sustainability and for a club to be there in 10, 20, 50 years, the strength of the Bears’ brand is going to supply that sustainability.”

Florimo believes that the Gold Coast may be the Bears’ last shot at a return to top flight rugby league.

“I don’t see too many other options presenting themselves,” he said.

“The energy and finance that we put into the Central Coast bid really didn’t come to fruition … so we’re going hard to the plate on this one.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/why-i...87086964665879&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

mongoose

Coach
the AFL must be laughing at the NRL. The gold coast is a traditional league heartland and the NRL doesn't even think it can survive there, they are undermining their own brand in the region. Of course the other team in the region - the News Limited Broncos would also be laughing as we all know they dont want to share with anyone. The NRL is so badly run it defies belief.

Just go back to a seperate Sydney comp and Brisbane comp and forget about it. Do origin like it was in the 70s.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yea i think the afl would be laughing their heads of that an interested group is willing to buy the nrls gold coast franchise, and invest substantial money into getting the club run properly , meaning that only newcastle, dragons and tigers are left as the only clubs needing nrl assistance. I'm sure they'll keep laughing their heads of while having to sink 40-50 million into failing suns and giants franchises while also having huge problems at the roos, demons and western bulldogs.

ByronTitan

Juniors
Titans fans are as passionate and loyal to their team (name, colours, identity etc) as any other team fan. The depth of feeling of a Bears fan is no greater than that of a Titans fan. Bears fans are no more deserving of a NRL team than a Titans fan. I feel for Bears fans losing their foothold in the major comp but their desires should only be waited equally against the desires of Titans fans.

The Titans just need a few seasons of clear air without the bullying and undermining of the Sydney/Brisbane press and without the poor management of the past. A consortium of local owners is all that is required now that the management/sponsorship/corporate structure/training facilities issues are all settled and positive.

mongoose

Coach
Yea i think the afl would be laughing their heads of that an interested group is willing to buy the nrls gold coast franchise, and invest substantial money into getting the club run properly , meaning that only newcastle, dragons and tigers are left as the only clubs needing nrl assistance. I'm sure they'll keep laughing their heads of while having to sink 40-50 million into failing suns and giants franchises while also having huge problems at the roos, demons and western bulldogs.

You're kidding right, do you honestly think the bears will play out of the gold coast for more than a few years? there will be less support for the bears than there is for the titans. They will permanently move to gosford as soon as they can.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think a good idea would be to burn down the Gold Coast entirely, engulfing all sporting communities and transients. The place sucks from top to bottom. Let's just raze the city and be done with it.

Agreed. Alas...

Why don't the Titans, the Florimo Bears and the Burleigh Bears all sit down, have a cup of tea, a chat and make something good out of it all.

Seems pretty sensible hey.

Engage the local community by partnering with Burleigh as the reserve grade team.

Play 9 home games on the GC, 2 on the CC, 1 at NSO.
Negotiate some Sydney away games to the CC.

Wins all round.

DiegoNT

First Grade
You're kidding right, do you honestly think the bears will play out of the gold coast for more than a few years? there will be less support for the bears than there is for the titans. They will permanently move to gosford as soon as they can.

Well if after 5 seasons they aren't getting support on the gold coast, then let them move. The nrl have said that whoever is interested in taking control of the Titans must show that they have the gold coast communities interest.

An NRL spokesman said on Wednesday the governing body will look to sell the club at the appropriate time, to ensure future ownership is the right fit for the club, the Gold Coast community and the game

http://nrlportal.com/nrl-issues-statement-on-titans-ownership/

The nrl have stated that gold coast is an important area for them, which is why they haven't allowed the club to die so far. So I'm sure the nrl will have clauses in any contract guaranteeing the club stays on the gold coast for at least the short to mid term. If the bears invest substantial money into the club and the gold coast refuse to het behind them in the same way they refuse to get behind the Titans, then i think the bears have the right to move the club to the central coast. The ball is now in the gold coast communities court.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Well North Sydney were named after their sponsors Big Bear supermarkets.
Balmain were named the Tigers because their original strip was Black and Gold stripes.
And the Knights were named so in reference to the 'steel city'.

So while you don't see those actual things in those actual places, there is a connection to the place (original colours in Balmain's case)

So unless the GC is famous for having a Titan shed in every backyard, I don't see the connection to the area.

I genuinely think they could rebrand the logo away from the weird greek reference towards a Mariners thing.

The [HMAS] Titans...

l.jpg

Keep the colours, keep the name. Just drop the random greek thing (that rarely gets exploited anyway) and jump on the battleship/port/ect imagery.

Last edited:

Johnny88

Juniors
A bit off topic but Richard Freedman also says that the Wests could be the Magpies by the end of the year with the Tigers debt problem. Not sure about this but anything can happen.

DiegoNT

First Grade
A bit off topic but Richard Freedman also says that the Wests could be the Magpies by the end of the year with the Tigers debt problem. Not sure about this but anything can happen.

Well that further complicates who Alien will be supporting in 2017

No they won't. Wests Ashfield have already said they want to keep the club as the Wests Tigers. Not sure how far that would get them anyway if they did want to change it, since the NRL own the licence.

Latest posts