What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GABBA 2nd Test: Australia v India Dec 17-21, 2014

hineyrulz

Post Whore
After 5 hours on day one we were gone and forgotten, we stumbled in the chase but a wins a win. Well done Dmiffy great start son.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Well they tried to throw it away but we limp over the line. Absolutely brilliant game from Johnson and captain Smithy.

Time to retire Haddin and Twatto and Starc gone too surely.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Whos the one for the 6s last night? Maddinson? The st george boy.

cant do any worse than Seam Marsh, they both have the same FC average

Id go for Cowan, scored 4 tons in his last 5 Shield games, I think he will improve a lot from his first time around

TheParraboy

Staff member
well done steve smith

what a player, captained the side well, has a calm composure about him as well

I reckon will go down as our best captain since back in 1954 when Chappelli was captain...

Dutchy

Immortal
Best thing for Aus cricket + future...

Neville to the test side.
Give Carters the gloves for NSW.
Haddin can retire or chill at mid on.

JJ

Immortal
Isn't test cricket great - some wonderful individual performances, some diabolical ones, the visiting team not able to take advantage of good positions, and two evenly matched teams.

Ironically, the winning team likely to be the one considering more changes - any sane selectors would be dumping S Marsh and Starc, and very carefully considering Watson and Haddin's future while I assume M Marsh won't be available

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing our selectors we will only make forced changes, warner and Marsh in doubt so I dont think we will see anyone dropped due to poor form if we are winning and we have forced changes.

I think we will see Harry back in for Starc, Haze has to stay now I would think. Hads job will be safe while he is taking a million catches. Personally I would look to replace watson but if Marsh is out we may need his bowling and if Warner is out thats already one change at the top.

JJ

Immortal
Knowing our selectors we will only make forced changes, warner and Marsh in doubt so I dont think we will see anyone dropped due to poor form if we are winning and we have forced changes.

I think we will see Harry back in for Starc, Haze has to stay now I would think. Hads job will be safe while he is taking a million catches. Personally I would look to replace watson but if Marsh is out we may need his bowling and if Warner is out thats already one change at the top.

Yeah, Harris has to play if fit because he's just outstanding - Starc made that decision easy.

If M Marsh is out then surely Watson would shift down there, and they could find a new #3?

S Marsh is just a very ordinary cricketer tbh, if he and Watson play the remaining tests, they will both likely get a score somewhere along the way, but so what...

Pleased Rogers had a good test too, fwiw

JW

Coach
Obligatory post-match whinge from MS Moani.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/ms-d...est-loss-to-australia-at-the-gabba/2014-12-21

MS Dhoni feels the standard of umpiring can improve in the ongoing Test series, but doubts whether DRS would achieve such a goal.

India were on the wrong end of a handful of poor decisions at Adelaide Oval and the Gabba.

Dhoni, a strident critic of the Decision Review System (DRS), was forthright when the topic was raised on Saturday.

"What's more important (than DRS) is that a lot of 50-50 decisions are not going our way," Dhoni said.

"Those decisions won't go in our favour (with DRS)," he opined.

Dhoni added that the standard of umpiring can "certainly improve", but felt the searing heat in Brisbane played a part.

"They stand there for five days continuously ... it's tough on them," Dhoni said.

"But I always try and tell them to be consistent throughout the Test.

"There have been quite a few 50-50 calls where we have been on the receiving end."

Dhoni had at least one animated discussion with Marais Erasmus in Brisbane.

It came on day two when he scampered through for three leg-byes, the umpire ruling Dhoni did not offer a shot.

Replays suggested Ravichandran Ashwin was unlucky to be judged caught behind on Saturday.

The offspinner lingered at the crease momentarily, staring at umpire Ian Gould.

It was exactly the same course of action adopted by Cheteshwar Pujara on Wednesday, when Gould gave him out caught behind.

Replays confirmed why - the ball clearly deflected off Pujara's helmet with wicketkeeper Brad Haddin uninterested in appealing.

It is the type of howler that led to the development of the DRS six years ago.

However, India mistrust the system and it will not be used in the ongoing four-Test series.

JJ

Immortal
He's wrong about DRS not changing those decisions, pretty sure all the bad ones on both tests would have been - beyond that I am not sure it's a whinge, 50:50 ones have probably gone 70:30 to Australia, but at the end of the day regardless of that, the Indians have been good enough to get on top at various stages, but not good enough to stay there when the Aussies come back - which Aussie teams always have and always will...

Their bowling attack is very raw, but only 2 of your top 6 are likely to continue contributing (Rogers is adequate, the other 3 are either unproven (M Marsh) or proven to be mediocre (Watson, S Marsh), if they allow batting from Johnson, Starc and Hazlewood to beat them, that's pretty appalling tbh

Rabbits20

Immortal
Fancy being fined for a slow over rate when your team wins on the fourth day...

India were as slow as us with their over rate they should have been fined as well.

Both sides were to blame.

Smith 60percent and rest of team 30percent.

If Smith gets sanctioned again as Captain he will miss 1 test match.