What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galea

B_Tiger

Juniors
again, the dragons match was one match, one. And I agreed with you that he performed badly in that match.

as for the move to 5/8, you say reynolds had nothing to do with it but that is just a completely ignorant comment. Firstly, you can't not have anything to do with it when you are the player being moved so that prince can play 5/8. His skills were assesed and he was moved from 5/8 to half based on his abilities as a player. To say Reynolds had nothing to do with the move is only assuming that the coach is as stupid as you. If Reynolds hadn't been seen as a capable halfback I garuntee you he wouldn't have been moved, hence he had a major role in why prince was moved to 5/8. In my opinion, the move to 5/8 was not related to prince struggling. You say that prince was moved to 5/8 at the end of the dragons match but you're just talking crap. Many times in a match a half will pop up in different positions of the field. Prince hasn't always been first receiver this season and it isn't only the dragons match where he has received the ball wider then half, so stop talking shit. His move to 5/8 in any case was changed after less then one match and I believe the move would have happened regardless of whether or not reynolds injure himself because reynolds was having a poor match. Maybe he was moved because sheens wanted him closer to the centres and with more freedom to be creative then the half position allows. The truth is, neither of us have any idea why the f**k he was moved. You want to claim he was moved to 5/8 because of poor form, but in my opinion if a player is in poor form they are dropped, not put in an important position like 5/8! I didn't ever see jeffries moved to 5/8 after he was shithouse at half. A move to 5/8 is not a condemnation of a player, instead it was an attempt to utilize different aspects of his game. So don't claim a move to 5/8 as being a sign of poor form.

I will fight you on this issue all day if you won't simply accept that we both disagree with each other. I can't f**king keep myself from the last word. He has been top quality this season, a terrific buy. What do you expect of him on a side that is one of the worst attacking sides in the cxomp? He delivers quality ball and a solid kicking game that has led to most our points this season. You complain that he doesn't take on the line enough but the role of halfback is not to hold the ball. The main responsibility of half is to dispense the balls to players outside in a positive position. I think he has done that brilliantly this season, nothing short of it. When Prince is given space we are threatening. Just look at the try by hodgson against the panthers. A decent backline with a bit of depth and prince runs to the line, creates the gap and hodgson is there in support. Prince, as a half, is dependant upon the players outside him to perform, I think you are a highlight reel watcher and not a 80min spectator because Prince's decision making this season has been top class. One match is not evidence of a poor season and your criticism of his not being able to orgainse the backline is rubbish, in my opinion.

tigger

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
A player like lincoln withers is so up and down every week that the team can't really work to any standard. Being consistant means you are paying attention, concentrating on the things that have to be done and that sort of play exceeds even craig field. Therefore, I'm not suprized by Prince being dissapointed in his form because most top quality consistant players are always looking to do more with their game.

That is why the Dragons think he is the best signing in years :roll: Lincoln is a champion, letting him go was a big mistake.

tracietiga

Juniors
Yes tigger ,that was a huge mistake .
but he is killing them at hooker.
He was never a halfbacks backside with the Tigers or the Raiders .

bonstonker

Juniors
:lol:

highlight reel watcher and stupid,and you say i won't simply accept that we both disagree with each other. :roll:
yep,you have a great history of accepting a different opinion. :roll:
although i always find it is the people who are talking crap always seem to sprout the different opinion crap.no shit sherlock,it is a f**king forum for f**k sake.

and as for highlight reel watching(which i don't have access to,only full games),i suggest you watch the dragons game again,he didn't simply just pop up in different positions,he was clearly moved there.
i have been involved with rugby league long enough to tell the difference mate.
and don't give me crap about a solid kicking game that has led to most of our points this season.i could say that about fitzy last year,but the fact is the rest of his game was not up to scratch now was it.

as for his move to 5/8 and reynolds having nothing to do with it,i was responding to your claim that sheens was trying to keep reynolds in first grade that was the reason for the switch,i'm sorry if you couldn't understand that i was saying princes form was the reason for the change when i said reynolds had nothing to do with it.
i will make it clearer next time. :roll:

you don't drop a player that you know has the ability and you have no one that can fill in.
well a good coach wouldn't anyway.sheens did the correct thing in having a heart to heart with him,and finding out what the problem was and give him the coaching he needed,which was a mental thing not a physical thing.

and i think prince summed up his performance perfectly.

I wanted to come here and do a job for the club week in and week out without getting injured and I was playing like that, just as if I was trying to get through each week.

thank god he has a grip on reality,along with his friends and coaching staff. :clap:

and where the f**k have i complained about him not taking on the line enough?
if you are going to reply to my posts,could you at least have the decency to read them properly first.it is getting rather boring having to do this every post.
for a brilliant season you need to be brilliant in pretty much all facets of the game including defence,and if you think he has,then your standards are obviously not as high as mine when judging a half.and a couple of brilliant plays does not make a brilliant season.

now go and have that last word if you must,because i am clearly wasting my time,especially when you can't keep to what is being posted.

B_Tiger

Juniors
sorry for another lengthy response. enjoy.

The st.george match was a terrible one. Nothing was working and they were ripping us up, hence changing the side around. I never denied him being moved to 5/8 but it has happened in other matches and will happen again. If something isn't working then changes have to be made. Prince was also having a bad match so sheens had enough faith in him to try moving him rather then simply benching him. That says a lot about a players form.

I feel a lot of repetition in this argument as well, but as I said, I can't concede the last word. I define brilliant play as being when a player takes the right option on almost every occasion. If someone is playing that way, then it is nothing short of brilliant. Now, tell me why you don't think he is in good form? You say organisation skills but I attribute that to the players outside him. Sheens agrees with me as well if you look at his positional changes. He has moved prince once to 5/8, but apart from that all the changes he has made have been with the players outside him. Every week we have different centres and 5/8's, if prince wasn't in good form he would be dropped and replaced as well. But, where does he line up tomorrow? And where has he lined up in 7 out of 8 matches? Now, you may say that he is only in good form and not in brilliant form. But, to me that's not true. A player can only play as well as the players around him allow. If prince's play had been for a better side like st.george, I'm certain it would be more then just myself claiming his form as being brilliant. He'd have players running harder, defenses running backwards and quality talent outside him to trouble a defense more. Prince gets virtually no opportunity or space, yet manages good form and quality passes with a solid kicking game. That is brilliant on a bad side. In fact, if not for him and hodgson, where would our points be coming from this season? And would hodgson be half the player he was without Prince?

You want to compare fitzy to prince? You'll surely agree that prince does offer far more outside his kicking game then fitzy does. I agree that kicking isn't enough, but when a player also manages a great passing game (barring the st.george match) and an ability to break the line consistantly and provide opportunity for the players outside him then he is of great worth to a side. Fitzy has a poor passing game and often breaks down backline movements for zero results. It is very difficult for a player on a bad side to be highlighted as being in good form because there is no results from his good play. Bad sides also have less momentum, less space and less runners. Prince has still managed to look good in such conditions and in my opinion he's easily been one of the best halves this season, throughout the entire competition. I don't see prince stuffing up out there. Do you notice many occasions where he hasn't capitalized on an opportunity? I'd say he rarely gets opportunities and when he does he finishes them brilliantly. You watch the way he runs with the ball, passes and works weith the side, he knows what he's doing and he executes. I don't think any player in the league, if put in the tigers, would perform as well as prince has.

I can see what you are saying though, he may be in good form on a bad side but it still isn't brilliant. Brilliant must be passes for tries, busting the line and dominating the opposition. And I agree that it is easier to call that sort of play brilliant then it is to call prince's work brilliant. But, for me, Prince's form can't be improved, he's already playing just about as well as he can. All that needs to happen is for the side around him to get better. Then, prince will have a player running into a gap who he can pass to for a try assist. At the moment he is passing to players with no space and as such nonthing is resulting from his play.

As for defense, I think prince is only competant. But, as long as it remains at that level then I have no problem with it. A halfback doesn't have to be a good defender. It obviously helps but as long as it is competant then it doesn't really matter. Maybe you'll disagree there but I just think halfback is too crucial a position on attack to be worrying about how he performs in defense. Of all positions on the field, half back and 5/8 would be the only positions where a player isn't neccesarily required to be a great defender.

And I apoligise for not reading your posts properly, I admit I have only skimmed them and should have given them more time if I was going to attack you in a response. But too much of your argument is dependant upon having read that one article. Prince is sat down every week and is spoken to about form. Just because it is reported once doesn't mean you are correct. I think articles have to go for a particular line and argument. That article was about a player recovering from injury and starting to develop some good form, so the quotes were played around that theme. If I wanted to do an article on prince being in brilliant form I easily could. I'd put in the right quotes and get a comment from sheens talking him up in some way.

I don't think Prince is in brilliant form because of moments of brilliance, as you suggest. Instead, I think it is the work he does that doesn't show up that makes him brilliant. His hands are terrific, when passed the ball he's so comfortable and his passing game is absolutely spot on. He has excellent acceleration and great vision. All of that shows up in every single match he has played, in most the things he does. It's just that it is for no reward, for which I hold the team around him responsible. This is why I think we should just settle and agree to disagree. I think he is in brilliant form where as you think he is only in good form because for a player to be brilliant there has to be results, because how can a player be brilliant when we have only won 3 from 8 and our attack is pathetic. But, I just think a player can be in brilliant form without result and without it making a side good. So we aren't ever going to get anywhere.