What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamba Osaka v Adelaide United Grand Final Legs 1 & 2 Discussion

griffo346

First Grade
Originally Posted by Misanthrope
Way to embarass yourselves and make the A-League look weak, Adelaide
Hey atleast our team made the final newcastle cant even score goals in the A-league so i dont think they will be getting to far in there quest in the ACL

they're the current champions fool

Maybe i should re say what i ment...I ment atleast Adelaide has made the ACL final and i was saying Newcastle wont even make it passed the first round is what i ment.

no other A-league team would of beaten Gamba Osaka IMO

Dragon

Coach
Whats the go with this Cornthwaite bloke? He is either extremely sh*t, or extremely lazy.

griffo346

First Grade
Join The Reds in celebrating their ACL journey

Tuesday, 11 November 2008
00020697-image.jpg

Cassio and Sasa Ognenovski after The Reds knocked out the Kashima Antlers in the Quarter Finals. © AUFC

Regardless of the result of the AFC Champions League decider, come and celebrate Adelaide United's historic achievements in the competition at a FREE post ACL Final event at Hindmarsh Stadium on Thursday 13 November.
All supporters are invited to join Coach Aurelio Vidmar and The Reds’ squad at Hindmarsh Stadium from 4.30-7.30pm this Thursday afternoon to wind down on what has been a remarkable journey through the prestigious Asian club competition.
No other Australian team has made it this far in the AFC Champions League and the club wants to share the accomplishment with all of its loyal supporters to help celebrate the historic occasion. So get your friends and your family together and head down to Hindmarsh Stadium this Thursday afternoon for this special one off event.
EVENT DETAILS
Post AFC Champions League Final Supporters Event
WHEN: Thursday 13 November 2008
WHERE: Hindmarsh Stadium (entry via Holden Street only)
TIME: 4.30-7.30pm
Entry is FREE
FEATURES: Special appearance by the playing squad on stage, face painting, Adelaide United mascot Big Red, photo opportunities with the team plus heaps more
For any further enquiries regarding the event, please contact the Adelaide United office on 8340 3000.

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=24772

Dragon

Coach
Adelaide unlucky not to have a couple of penalties.

But gotta love the way Osaka play, i hope one day the A-League has quality like this.

Knightmare

Coach
So? Winning one game in soccer doesn't really mean crap. Wellington beat Newcastle in a game last year, does that mean Wellington were a better team than them for all of last year? This is why no other major football league in the world celebrates Grand Finals over season championships...

Once Dead

Bench
Way to embarass yourselves and make the A-League look weak, Adelaide

Whether you're fishing for a reaction I really don't know......

However, they made the finals of the ACL which is an amazing achievement. Were they lucky along the way? Sure, they got through but sometimes luck goes your way.

Did they embarrass themselves tonight? Only in the way that some of the players allowed their frustration to get the better of them.

Did they embarrass the A-League? No way. If anything, they elevated the profile of this league in the Asian region. Ognenovski and Diego are on ACL team shopping lists and Vidmar is being headhunted for coaching jobs.

If you embarrass yourself, you don't get offers like that.

Misanthrope

Staff member
no other A-league team would of beaten Gamba Osaka IMO

Melbourne would have made a better show of it, I think. That's the problem with ACL representatives being a year out of date. Last year's championship winning Jets side would do well in the ACL - the side they'll send at season's end will not.

Was more of a fish/display of anger at two piss poor performances in a row from the Australian representative. Obviously they did well to make it that far.

I do think that the current setup is somewhat farcical. Australia and the A-League is being represented by sides a year out from their actual achievements. Newcastle's involvement this year will be laughable because the side they now field isn't at all similar to the exciting football team that won the big one earlier this year.

fish eel

Immortal
Melbourne would have made a better show of it, I think. That's the problem with ACL representatives being a year out of date. Last year's championship winning Jets side would do well in the ACL - the side they'll send at season's end will not.

Melbourne were in it and didnt get out of the group.

They lost home and away to Gamba as well, conceeding FOUR at home.

griffo346

First Grade

However, they made the finals of the ACL which is an amazing achievement. Were they lucky along the way? Sure, they got through but sometimes luck goes your way.

Did they embarrass themselves tonight? Only in the way that some of the players allowed their frustration to get the better of them.

Did they embarrass the A-League? No way. If anything, they elevated the profile of this league in the Asian region. Ognenovski and Diego are on ACL team shopping lists and Vidmar is being headhunted for coaching jobs.

If you embarrass yourself, you don't get offers like that.

also to add to that Travis Dodd is also on the shopping list of a Japanese team - here in Adelaide we are led to believe its the Kashmir Antlers

griffo346

First Grade
its not only the ACL that we have but Asia on stand by with Australia representation its also now the FIFA Club World Cup that Adelaide has put the a-league in.

i don't get that post :? ^^

sydney were in the world club cup a few years ago ...

Ognenovski and Diego are on ACL team shopping lists and Vidmar is being headhunted for coaching jobs.

the clubs in question have said no to them ... so that theory is out the door ...

Misanthrope

Staff member
are we talking about the same melbourne who were smashed at home to the same gamba osaka who won the tournament? ...

Unless there is another Melbourne floating around, then yes, we are. Don't ask silly questions.

fish eel

Immortal
It's an odd logic that says a side who competed in the same tournament, were outclassed home and away and couldnt get out of their group would have out up a better fight than Adelaide.

Melbourne had their chance and weren't good enough.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's an odd logic that says a side who competed in the same tournament, were outclassed home and away and couldnt get out of their group would have out up a better fight than Adelaide.

I was more referring to present form and the more recent efforts put out by Adelaide against Gamba that over the entire tournament. Obviously Adelaide's overall ACL form was far superior - but I just can't picture Melbourne being so completely outclassed in a home final.

They lost 3-4 at home against Osaka and 2-0 away, which looks a little better on paper than a 5-0 final loss over two legs.

fish eel

Immortal
I was more referring to present form

and
the more recent efforts put out by Adelaide against Gamba that over the entire tournament. Obviously Adelaide's overall ACL form was far superior - but I just can't picture Melbourne being so completely outclassed in a home final.

They lost 3-4 at home against Osaka and 2-0 away, which looks a little better on paper than a 5-0 final loss over two legs.

Dont forget, when Melbourne played Gamb they were pretty fresh.

Adelaide have run into Gamba after a long run where their squad has been hit by injuries and suspensions for the final. Such is life for A-League sides with the salary cap and squad size restrictions.

I also think when it comes to A-League sides playing J-League sides in this comp, group matches are one thing, a final will be different. We just dont have the resources to compete. One of the fox commentators made the point that there was a $40 milliom difference in financial turnover between Adelaide and Gamba.

That is massive.

I also dont think you can really say they embarrased themselves or made the A-League look weak.

In the eyes of who?

The rest of Asia? I wouldnt think so seeing as the made the final.

The J-League? Given they knocked out Kashima, probably not.

The rest of the football world? Hardly. Limited care factor.

That's the problem with ACL representatives being a year out of date. Last year's championship winning Jets side would do well in the ACL

If the Jets were in this tournament, they'd have struggled big time.

They'd have lost a swag of players halfway though and replced them with donkeys like Zura.....

Misanthrope

Staff member
If the Jets were in this tournament, they'd have struggled big time.

They'd have lost a swag of players halfway though and replced them with donkeys like Zura.....

An A-League team will never win the ACL while:

a). They are forced to play a year after their qualification
b). The salary cap ensures good players inevitably leave after a good season

I'm not advocating a removal of the salary cap, by the way, just pointing out that it ensures that the side appearing in the ACL rarely features the players who got them there.