What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day Dragons vs souffs

The Board at St George resigned Mary because he was the cheapest option, don't forget we owe the NRL a bucket load of money. We lost our best option Jason Demetriou to the Broncos who ever was responsible for that blunder.........
So are you saying Demetriou would have been more expensive than Mary? I doubt it.
If money was really the issue its looking like a false economy now.

Life's Good

Coach
What a frustrating season. Not sure I can watch any more NRL this year. I feel like a "fair weather" fan but its just not healthy for me to be this invested in something that I have no affect over. I think that I might need to take a little break for a while, for my mental health.
Signing out for a while.
Disappointed beyond words.
No you won't. The Dragons are just like the mafia. Just when you think you are out , they pull you back in.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Exactly re Friz OT
Also the fact that he replaced him with Marketo only compounds it.
Now I'm not blaming Marketo but why is he now in the team for a must win game when he hasn't been anywhere near the team all year.
The blame falls squarely on the so called coach :frowning2:
Yep squarely on the coach......You could see sitting in the lounge chair that the points were coming from that edge.....Madge obviously could see it...but no our wonder coach sitting in the coaches box with a birds eye view of proceedings couldnt......wouldnt you think with 8 to go and 10 in front he would address the issue and rectify it.......bloody clueless thats why

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What a frustrating season. Not sure I can watch any more NRL this year. I feel like a "fair weather" fan but its just not healthy for me to be this invested in something that I have no affect over. I think that I might need to take a little break for a while, for my mental health.
Signing out for a while.
Disappointed beyond words.
Yeah know how you feel mate like you and nany on here ANOTHER disappointing result...to be honest Im over it

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Who is this coach we keep speaking of?
I will always support the team but didn't renew my families membership at the start of the year due to Mary and the board. Early on he almost had us all fooled but alas he has shown he is not a coaches you know what.
Best part is,we are stuck with him for more fun times ahead
*cue the sarcasm

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan injured as Dragons finals hopes plummet

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

4 Aug 2017, 5:25 p.m.
r0_0_4503_3062_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH PILL: The Dragons squandered a 10-point lead in the final five minutes to sink to a 26-24 loss to the Rabbitohs. Picture: AAP

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s finals hopes are on life support after conceding two tries in the final five minutes to squander a 10-point lead and sink to a 26-24 defeat to South Sydney.

With everything to play for, the Dragons looked home when Nene Macdonald crossed in the 70th minute only for John Sutton and Bryson Goodwin to score and draw level with three minutes left.

It left it to Souths halfback Adam Reynolds to step up and nail the match-winning goal from the sideline and perhaps sound the death knell on the Dragons finals chances.

The stunning capitulation saw the the Dragons slump to their ninth loss in their past 13 games with their past two defeats coming to sides 16 and 14 on the ladder. It could see them drop out of the top eight for the first time this season should Penrith beat the Tigers on Sunday.

It makes next week’s clash with the Titans must-win, while they’ll now need to win at least one of two tough road clashes with the Broncos and Panthers, with the latter in round 25 looming as their finals D-day.

With everything his side had to play for, coach Paul McGregor conceded it was the most disappointing loss of the season.

“[That hurts] the most of them all,” McGregor said.

“When you’re up 10 with 10 minutes to go you don’t lose those games.

“We had a few defensive lapses through the game and we haven’t played a real solid 80 minutes for a while now.

“What’s disappointing is they scored a try and then in the next set they went 80 metres to score off that set.

“You shouldn’t let that happen at any time in a game but, in a really important period with five to go… we’ve got to be more resilient than that.

“It makes next week pretty important. Every game’s important and has been for a while. This loss is as disappointing as last week’s.

“We’ve worked so hard to get someone to come in and take it away from us but we’re doing it to ourselves at the moment.”

The loss was soured further by an ankle syndesmosis injury to Josh Dugan, who limped from the field 14 minutes before halftime and didn’t return.

He finished the match with his foot in a bucket of ice and is looking at a prolonged stint on the sidelines.

“It looks pretty bad at the minute,” McGregor said.

“It’s syndesmosis, so we’ll probably need to have a look in 48 hours when the swelling’s gone down but it doesn’t look good.”

The Dragons led early on the back of Jason Nightingale’s ninth-minute four-pointer but the Rabbitohs led 12-6 on the back of tries to Alex Johnston and Damien Cook.

It proved short-lived, with Joel Thompson producing an athletic grab of a Josh McCrone kick to plant the ball next to the uprights, allowing Widdop to square the ledger at 12-all.

The Dragons looked certain to go-ahead minutes later through Tyson Frizell, who was tackled without the ball by Sam Burgess as he tried to reel in an off-load from Jacob Host with the line beckoning.

It earned Burgess 10 minutes in the sin-bin and proved a stay of execution with Kurt Mann crossing on the stroke of halftime.

A Reynolds penalty goal cut the lead back to four before Macdonald’s 70th-minute four-pointer looked to have put the game to bed.

Sutton gave the Rabbitohs a sniff with his 75th minute try before Goodwin’s late four-pointer paved the way for Reynolds’ sideline heroics.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4835219/dragons-in-finals-free-fall/?cs=3713

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
This team is mentally weak as piss, and have been ever since Bennett left.
I know teams give up leads late all the time but not when you're playing for your season against a team running third last.
A good game manager would have stepped up and taken control of that game in the last 10 minutes. Sadly we don't have one of those

This team is mentally weak as piss, and have been ever since Bennett left.
I know teams give up leads late all the time but not when you're playing for your season against a team running third last.
A good game manager would have stepped up and taken control of that game in the last 10 minutes. Sadly we don't have one of those

Widdop tried to put the game to bed by playing negative football in the last ten minutes, kicking for touch twice to wind the clock down.
The only effect that had was to give Souths confidence the Dragons had nothing left, the result was two tries in the last 5 mins.

I've been critical of Widdop in the past for not stepping up and controlling the game, now I realise he's just not capable of it.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Widdop tried to put the game to bed by playing negative football in the last ten minutes, kicking for touch twice to wind the clock down.
The only effect that had was to give Souths confidence the Dragons had nothing left, the result was two tries in the last 5 mins.

I've been critical of Widdop in the past for not stepping up and controlling the game, now I realise he's just not capable of it.
The only other NRL team that would lose a game like that is Newcastle. And they have a rookie 5/8 and a half playing on one leg. We have an international and a 150 game "veteran" and we still couldn't put it to bed. What a F$&@en shambles